Old 06-05-2003, 10:08 PM
Michael Shaffer

Default How big a leaf trap should I get?

I'm trying to pick a leaf trap from this page

http://www.aquaart.com/StrBsk.html

My pond is 3,000 gallons and I'm using a Pondmaster 3600gph pump. I want
to get the $185 one but not sure if it's overkill. Plus it's expensive.

Old 07-05-2003, 01:44 AM
dhponder

On 5/6/03 3:06 PM, Michael Shaffer wrote:
I'm trying to pick a leaf trap from this page

http://www.aquaart.com/StrBsk.html

My pond is 3,000 gallons and I'm using a Pondmaster 3600gph pump. I want
to get the $185 one but not sure if it's overkill. Plus it's expensive.

It all depends on how many trees and leaves that will fall/blow into the
pond, if you skim them off before they sink, have an effective skimmer
or net the pond, etc. Boils down to $$$ or physical labor. JMO

Old 07-05-2003, 03:08 AM
Michael Shaffer

Ok.. I was in Sears today and noticed I could almost build my own leaf
trap. The only part I don't know where I would get it a strainer, but

Old 07-05-2003, 03:20 AM
Michael Shaffer

Doh, hit send on accident.

I was in Sears today looking at their pipe fittings and I think I could
make a leaf strainer myself. If I do, I'll post pics here.

Old 07-05-2003, 04:08 AM
Go Fig

In article ,
Michael Shaffer wrote:

Ok.. I was in Sears today and noticed I could almost build my own leaf
trap. The only part I don't know where I would get it a strainer, but

Have a look at this excellent page for design ideas. This approach is
much better for magnetic drive pumps, then the primer pot you were
looking at. If evaporation is going to be a real problem try to
incorporate a flapper (bellows).

http://www.geocities.com/bickal2000/skimmer.htm

jay
Tue, May 6, 2003

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject...
Galileo muttered under his breath: "Nevertheless, it does move."

Old 07-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Michael Shaffer

Thanks, maybe I'll do that. The only problem is there's only about 6" of
liner on the sides since I trimmed it already. Will a primer pot not
work with a Mag-Drive pump?

Old 07-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Michael Shaffer

If the primer pot is clean with no leaves does it still cause a lot of
flow reduction with a mag drive?

Michael Shaffer wrote:
Thanks, maybe I'll do that. The only problem is there's only about 6" of
liner on the sides since I trimmed it already. Will a primer pot not
work with a Mag-Drive pump?