Old 09-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Dworkin

Default Snakes!

Help - I just saw a snake eating my goldfish! I have a 300gal above ground
tank, how did he get in there & how can I get 'm. He a little guy - but I
not fast enough - as if I would ;-) ?

Larry

Old 10-05-2003, 01:08 AM
K30a

Snakes can climb and get in outlandish places
you would not expect.
We've had a rec.ponder who put
a minnow trap in her pond to catch a
snake. You'll have to bait it with goldfish
(not for the soft-hearted) and leave the
upper half out of the water so the snake
can breathe. Then take the trap to some
nice field/swamp/wetland and let the snake go.
There are some water snakes who are
poisonous so spend some time looking around
the web for snakes of your area.

k30a
Old 10-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Dworkin

Well, kinda' soft hearted - but scared of snakes. I'll think about it -
sounds like a good way - I thought about a mouse trap - but the damn thing
won't eat cheese (I guess).

Tyhanks,

Larry

Old 10-05-2003, 03:20 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

This may not be nice, but air rifles are extremely effective when you must
choose between snake and fish.

Night can be a very good time to catch some snakes. Their eyes are easy to
see with a flashlight.

Good luck!

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 10-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Sadly, I think garter snakes don't hunt at night.

If, however, it is in the pond at night, it will show up nicely in the
flashlight. We have a neighborhood lake and occasionally have to remove
cotton mouth's from it so they don't hit kids who play in the lake. My
'boys' (then teens, now 23 to 32) would light them at night with a bright
flashlight and then gig them with a trebble hook, pull them to shore, and
smash the heads. Dangerous, but effective. We never went after them in the
day.

-J

Old 10-05-2003, 02:44 PM
John Rutz

Phyllis and Jim Hurley wrote:
Sadly, I think garter snakes don't hunt at night.

the only problem with garter snakes in the pond iss they do eat the
smaller slower fish otherwise they are harmless to humans
but of course before you deal with one be sure it is a garter,

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

before you criticise someone
walk a mile in thier shoes
that way when you criticise them
your a mile away and have thier shoes

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 11-05-2003, 07:20 AM
~ Windsong ~

In ,
Phyllis and Jim Hurley picked up the
keyboard and pecked out:
:: This may not be nice, but air rifles are extremely effective when
:: you must choose between snake and fish.
=======================
I wonder what it would do to the liner should the liner be hit.....
--
Carol.......
"Is it ok to use an AM radio after noon?"

Old 12-05-2003, 12:45 AM
N. Zitney

And don't think garters are docile. In May & October, their usual
breeding times, they can get downright aggressive, and will bite, not
poisonous but it will scare you near skinny.
Nanzi

Old 13-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Lee Brouillet

"scare you near skinny" ! ROFL: I LIKE that! A new expletive replacement
(I've been trying to clean my vocabulary up G )

Lee

Old 13-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Dworkin

I tried the baited trap - Now my bait is happily swimming with the intended
victims. They got out! Thats OK - 'cept still got the snake! It was light
gray with black patterns - a pointed tail and a BIG hinged jaw anybody
know 'em?

It was hard to put those guys in the trap, I'm glad they are getting out -
its not empty yet, so I'm still tryin'.

Larry

Old 16-05-2003, 04:44 AM
~ jan

Ever since I read that I've been out looking for some aggressive garter
snakes, sounds like a less painful way than dieting. ;o) ~ jan

On 12 May 2003 10:37:24 -0500, "Lee Brouillet" wrote:

"scare you near skinny" ! ROFL: I LIKE that! A new expletive replacement
(I've been trying to clean my vocabulary up G )

Lee

.. .
"John Rutz" wrote in message

Phyllis and Jim Hurley wrote:
Sadly, I think garter snakes don't hunt at night.

the only problem with garter snakes in the pond iss they do eat the
smaller slower fish otherwise they are harmless to humans
but of course before you deal with one be sure it is a garter,

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

before you criticise someone
walk a mile in thier shoes