Old 14-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Cin1754

Default String algae

This is my second summer with my pond. Last year, my water was crystal clear,
and I attributed that to my wonderful care (LOL) and the UV light. This year,
I have so much string algae, that I hate looking in the pond every morning.
The water quality is fine, I just checked everything yesterday. Any
suggestions?
Old 15-05-2003, 12:44 AM
claude rogers

I had the same problem, I was pulling it out and fighting with it and
finally my plants kicked in and started using up all of the excess nutrient
for the algae and it just disappeared, maybe its a winter/spring startup
thingy....Claude

Old 15-05-2003, 01:08 PM
MISSYMAGICGIRL

In article , "claude rogers"
writes:

I had the same problem, I was pulling it out and fighting with it and
finally my plants kicked in and started using up all of the excess nutrient
for the algae and it just disappeared, maybe its a winter/spring startup
thingy....Claude

I think so too. But I have a UV on and it's still growing. I can't wait till
the plants go in.

Sacha
Old 15-05-2003, 09:44 PM
mad

does your UV bulb need replacing?
mad
--
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Old 16-05-2003, 01:32 AM
Go Fig

In article ,
mad wrote:

does your UV bulb need replacing?
mad

String algae grows on the sides of the pond so does not get a chance to
be exposed to the UV for the most part.

Water Hyacinths.

jay
Thu, May 15, 2003

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject...
Galileo muttered under his breath: "Nevertheless, it does move."

Old 16-05-2003, 03:44 AM
claude rogers

I've got a uv as well, but for the most part "and I am no expert here for
sure", the uv seems to control the pea soup water a lot better than string
algae. I guess it's because the stringy stuff doesn't actually go thru the
filter. I believe it has alot to do with the winter mulm and debree that
gathers at the bottom and on the sides of the pond. Guessing here a little
bit, but it seems to me, I get a small ammonia spike as soon as spring kicks
in from this decaying stuff and the uv controls the soup but can't control
the string algae so it blossoms and then my regular plants, lillies and
marginals start growing and everything just cleared up. What makes me mad
is I give it a real good fall cleaning and still get this winter mulm, not
sure where it comes from, but it's always there in the spring,
dang'it....lots a luck

Old 16-05-2003, 01:56 PM
MKR

Had the same issue coming out of the winter, crystal clear water and a thick
carpet of string algae - took a two step approach based on local Pond
dealer's recommendation. Started treatment with Interpet Pond Balance per
the instructions on the package (~$20+/-) and a good old fashion wade in and
pull it out... Pulled about a basketball size bag of it off the sides and
bottom... Just removing that much of it helped the appearance, and then hit
it with the second application of Pond Balance just over a week later and
within a few days, the algae was pretty much under control. Like you said,
once the other plants get going it will generally retard the string algae
anyway but those first few weeks are ugly.

Regard,

Old 20-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Sam Hopkins

Your phosphate level is too high. Are you using pond PH adjusting/buffering
chemicals? They are mostly phosphate. Do you add miricle grow sticks or
other "land plant" fertilizer in your water or to the dirt for plants that
are located in water? They are usually high in phosphate. You can purchase a
phosphate kit at the pet store for about $15.00-$20.00.