Old 23-05-2003, 08:32 PM
Mark T.

Default Fluid Bed Filter?

Hi all,
I've been reading a bit about a
"Fluid Bed Filter" with coral sand in it.
The sand is supposed to swirl around inside
the tube. Apparently you can make a
pressurized vessel type as well so that you
can still pump water to a waterfall.
Would one of these work alone or do you
have to use them in conjunction with another
filter type? And UV light filters? I'm new
to the fish pond arena, (500 gal), and it seems
to be turning into a lot more hassel than it
needs to be. I'm pretty sure I'm doing it not
quite right.
Any ideas or help here? Information, websites,
etc.

Thanks,
Mark

Thanks,
Mark

Old 23-05-2003, 08:44 PM
jon

Yes the water entering a fluid bed filter has to go threw mechanical
filtration first to take out most of the solids.
But for a 500gallon pond its probebly a bit accesive you would be fine
with a bog standard filter from the water garden centre just go for one that
says it will do up to a 1000 or a 1500 gallon pond and you should have no
problems with a filter larger than you actually need it will require far
less cleaning and you would be able to stock to a higher level. In my first
pond (500g) I had for six years several koi 3 largest 18inch each and dozens
of goldfish and with the filter being far bigger than actually required we
never had any problems.

Jon

Old 23-05-2003, 09:59 PM
Mark T.

Thanks, Jon.
So then I would actually need 2 pumps?
One to run the water from the pond to a
bog filter and another to take it from the
bog filter and pressurize it for the waterfall?

The pond is below ground level. The bog filter would
be sitting on the ground and be supplied by pump #1.
Then I need pump #2 from the bog filter,
through the closed system fluid bed filter up to
the waterfall, about 3' higher than the pond.

My waterfall is fed from a 1" tube manifold which is
hidden inside the waterfall. From the manifold are
(7) - 1/8" dia. tube lines to various outlets hidden within the
waterfall. I like to keep all the mechanical
components as hidden from view as possible.

Any ideas are appreciated. I do not want to add
more complexity than necessary. "In pond" filters
are a colossil pain I've dealt with for about 2 years
and would like to eliminate it altogether.

Mark

Old 23-05-2003, 11:59 PM
John Rutz

Mark T. wrote:
[...]

can you have the waterfall dump into the bog, and then run into the pond?

thats what i have see my website proj 2003 for a better idea of what i
mean

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 24-05-2003, 01:20 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Hi Mark,

Several of us have our filters on our websites. You can either use what we
did or make changes (smaller/larger) to fit your situation.

On my website, if you click to *My Filter* and scroll down you will find a
flower pot filter that could be mounted at the top of a water fall or just
behind one. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 24-05-2003, 03:57 PM
Mark T.

Thanks for the great information and links folks!
It appears I've got some purchasing, constructing
and installing of more components to do.

Mark T.

Old 27-05-2003, 08:32 PM
Mark T.

Hi, and thanks for all the good data!
It seems it's like the wild west as far
as filter systems go. Anything goes.
That's what makes it fun, I think.
I've searched around and seem some info. on
fluid bed filters, and it appears that you can
use them as a primary filter for ponds up to
2,000 Gal., U.S. I just have a 500 gal. pond.
But, I'd sure hate to spend the time building
the thing and still have to go and build another
multi tier filter. Does anyone have any direct
experience with the fluid bed filters? Like I stated
in a previous part of this thread, I need to pressurize it
due to having to force water through a multi-ported
manifold for my waterfall.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 27-05-2003, 10:56 PM
zookeeper

Mark T. wrote:
... Does anyone have any direct
experience with the fluid bed filters? Like I stated
in a previous part of this thread, I need to pressurize it
due to having to force water through a multi-ported
manifold for my waterfall.

Here is a page of homemade / DIY filters:
http://www.mikebentley.com/ponds/homemadefilters.htm

On that page there is a link to a DIY fluid bed filter for a pond; the
size of the pond seems to have been 500 gal (found a page referring to
"new pond").
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gary.webster1/

HTH
--
zookeeper

Jeyes Fluid for Water Feature? Trevor Tyrrell United Kingdom 10 06-03-2011 06:58 AM
Jeyes Fluid - Good to poison your soil George.com Gardening 0 27-09-2006 05:22 PM
Cub Cadet Trans. fluid question Dave in Lake Villa Lawns 8 02-12-2005 04:46 PM
Jeyes Fluid?? Mog Gardening 7 21-04-2004 01:04 PM
Ph calibration fluid availability? Tasslehoff Australia 1 26-09-2003 11:22 PM