Old 02-05-2005, 10:58 PM
Trevor Tyrrell

Default Jeyes Fluid for Water Feature?

Can I use a little Jeyes Fluid to keep my water feature clean? It's a
very large feature and it's costing a fortune in cleaners.

Alternatively a cheap source of cleanser?

cheers

Trevor
Old 02-05-2005, 11:12 PM
Phil L

Trevor Tyrrell wrote:
:: Can I use a little Jeyes Fluid to keep my water feature clean?
:: It's a very large feature and it's costing a fortune in cleaners.
::
:: Alternatively a cheap source of cleanser?
::
:: cheers
::
:: Trevor

I don't think jeyes fluid will clean it too good - JF is a disinfectant, not
a cleanser....what kind of water feature is it?
Are there fish/pond animlas involved in the equation?
What kind of 'dirt' are you trying to remove?

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 03-05-2005, 09:15 AM
Kay

In article , Trevor
Tyrrell writes
Can I use a little Jeyes Fluid to keep my water feature clean? It's a
very large feature and it's costing a fortune in cleaners.

Alternatively a cheap source of cleanser?

What do you mean by 'water feature'?

Is it simply a/some containers with trickling water?
Does it have plants?
Does it have animal life?
--
Kay

Old 04-05-2005, 11:05 PM
paddytt

Thanks for all the replies. The water feature is a large (1.5m
diameter) sunken resevior, with a large 1.5m slate stone on top, with
water pumped up through the slate.

Green algae grows on the stone which is in full sun, and also on the
stone in the base, but the water runs clear. Scrubbing cleans it
(leaving some white and green marks), but the additives to keep the
algae away cost =A35 a tub and on this size of feature, requires
treatment every 2 weeks in summer, once a month in winter.

Jeyes Fluid is good for cleaning algae off concrete and patio slabs, so
I wondered if I add a little to the water feature, will it keep it
clear of algae?

cheers

Old 05-05-2005, 08:36 AM
Martin Brown

paddytt wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. The water feature is a large (1.5m
diameter) sunken resevior, with a large 1.5m slate stone on top, with
water pumped up through the slate.

OK so no fish or wildlife at all are living in the water.

Green algae grows on the stone which is in full sun, and also on the
stone in the base, but the water runs clear. Scrubbing cleans it
(leaving some white and green marks), but the additives to keep the
algae away cost £5 a tub and on this size of feature, requires
treatment every 2 weeks in summer, once a month in winter.

A few water snails ought to do it for you in a more environmentally
friendly fashion and without the truly horrid smell of Jeyes fluid...

That the algae is growing so fast tends to suggest that for whatever
reason your "pond" water is full of nutrients. You might be able to make
some progress by eliminating nitrates and phosphates from the water.

Jeyes Fluid is good for cleaning algae off concrete and patio slabs, so
I wondered if I add a little to the water feature, will it keep it
clear of algae?

For a while - but can you stand the smell? Cheap hypochloride bleach is
another option to zap algae and probably smells less offensive.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 05-05-2005, 01:04 PM
Pam Moore

On Thu, 05 May 2005 08:36:58 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

paddytt wrote:
[...]

You'd need to check this but I was once told that potassium
permanganate is a water purifier.

Pam in Bristol
Old 05-05-2005, 01:18 PM
Martin Brown

wrote:

For a while - but can you stand the smell? Cheap hypochloride bleach is
another option to zap algae and probably smells less offensive.

You'd need to check this but I was once told that potassium
permanganate is a water purifier.

It is potentially, but the dark brown stain of manganese dioxide that
can result is probably worse than the original problem of the green algae.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 05-03-2011, 10:32 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddytt View Post
Thanks for all the replies. The water feature is a large (1.5m
diameter) sunken resevior, with a large 1.5m slate stone on top, with
water pumped up through the slate.

Green algae grows on the stone which is in full sun, and also on the
stone in the base, but the water runs clear. Scrubbing cleans it
(leaving some white and green marks), but the additives to keep the
algae away cost =A35 a tub and on this size of feature, requires
treatment every 2 weeks in summer, once a month in winter.

Jeyes Fluid is good for cleaning algae off concrete and patio slabs, so
I wondered if I add a little to the water feature, will it keep it
clear of algae?

cheers
Why Dont You add A inline UV water filter cheeper in the long run
UV lamp kills algae, bacteria, and parasites in a matter of seconds cost £30 to £50 off ebay

Old 06-03-2011, 06:58 AM
Registered User

Location: guang dong, china

possibly ok,have a try.
Tony
www.cidly.com

Jeyes Fluid harry United Kingdom 33 13-01-2012 09:45 AM
Jeyes Fluid in Lidl David WE Roberts[_2_] United Kingdom 7 05-11-2010 12:15 PM
Jeyes Fluid as weedkiller near wood? Eddy Bentley United Kingdom 17 08-08-2007 06:57 PM
Jeyes Fluid - Good to poison your soil George.com Gardening 0 27-09-2006 05:22 PM
Jeyes Fluid?? Mog Gardening 7 21-04-2004 01:04 PM