Old 13-07-2008, 04:01 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Pumphouse for external pump?

Any suggestions on a making an underground pumphouse for an external
pond? Im concerned that having a dry one will fill up with water when
cleaning the leaf basket. That is when I take the cover off my leaf
basket, water starts flowing out of the top. If that is in a dry
pumphouse wont the water fill the pumphouse and get trapped in there?
Are there good premade pump houses? any cheap quick DIY solutions?

Old 14-07-2008, 03:27 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"phillerup" wrote in message
Any suggestions on a making an underground pumphouse for an external
pond? Im concerned that having a dry one will fill up with water when
cleaning the leaf basket. That is when I take the cover off my leaf
basket, water starts flowing out of the top. If that is in a dry
pumphouse wont the water fill the pumphouse and get trapped in there?
Are there good premade pump houses? any cheap quick DIY solutions?

Leave the bottom dirt and put about 6" of drain rock in the bottom.
Paul

Old 15-07-2008, 03:38 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

phillerup wrote:
Any suggestions on a making an underground pumphouse for an external
pond? Im concerned that having a dry one will fill up with water when
cleaning the leaf basket. That is when I take the cover off my leaf
basket, water starts flowing out of the top. If that is in a dry
pumphouse wont the water fill the pumphouse and get trapped in there?
Are there good premade pump houses? any cheap quick DIY solutions?

Hi,
You need to install a shut off valve before the pump on the suction
side. Also if the discharge at the pond is below water level then use a
check valve on that side. There are a few varieties, basically, pumping
dirty water use a flapper, clean water use a spring loaded ball type.
Local box stores should have what you need.

HTH -_- how

--
no NEWS is good

Old 16-07-2008, 12:09 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I built my pump box out of pressure treated wood, left the bottom open to
the soil and put several inches of gravel in the bottom. Put a valve, I use
knife valves like
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Valterra-Knife...3286.m20.l1116,
on the inlet pipe into the pump. That way you can close the valve and remove
the pump for service, etc. I also let my pump run 24/7 even in the winter. I
get a little ice build up on the water fall, but nothing major.
Paul

Old 16-07-2008, 02:48 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

For those that do take their pump out for the winter, what do you do
with the water in the plumbing? wont that break the pipes?
knife valves likehttp://cgi.ebay.com/2-Valterra-Knife-Valve-For-Koi-Pond-Construction_...,

On Jul 13, 10:27 pm, "Paul" wrote:
"phillerup" wrote in message

Any suggestions on a making an underground pumphouse for an external
pond? Im concerned that having a dry one will fill up with water when
cleaning the leaf basket. That is when I take the cover off my leaf
basket, water starts flowing out of the top. If that is in a dry
pumphouse wont the water fill the pumphouse and get trapped in there?
Are there good premade pump houses? any cheap quick DIY solutions?

Leave the bottom dirt and put about 6" of drain rock in the bottom.
Paul

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

External pump push/pull? gribbee Ponds 0 06-03-2004 05:54 PM
External pump push/pull? gribbee Ponds 0 06-03-2004 05:49 PM
How do you protect your external pump from rain? DesertPond Ponds 10 04-07-2003 12:56 AM
Making pumphouse Michael Shaffer Ponds 7 28-05-2003 01:56 AM
External pump housing suggestions Don Lasko Ponds 1 12-02-2003 11:25 AM