Old 27-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Carl Beyer

Default what in the heck is this

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com/mystery.jpg

I assume this is some sort of salamander? Just saw it scampering across
the bottom of my new 400 gallon pond this morning.

I am in Zone 20 (Souther California Valley). The pond is only 3 months
old so I am very surprised to see anything but the fish i put in there.

So is this a bad thing or a good thing? Any concerns I should have,
especially with Koi? What will become of it?

Thanks to all for any info

Carl

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com
Old 27-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Sue Alexandre

Can't be sure, but it looks like something I once bought and put in my
aquarium . . . they called it a Mudpuppy. I believe it is a type of
salamander. I'm so jealous, I would love for uninvited guests to start
visiting my ponds, but I think the natural brook behind my house is too much
competition for my pond. The only visitor I ever had in 3 years was a
snake.
Sue

Old 27-05-2003, 07:20 PM
K30a

It looks like a red spotted newt.
They live on land and come to the water
to breed. So more may show up ;-)

They feed on insects, insect larvae, worms, tadpoles, tiny fish.

Ponders are of great benefit to the amphibian community and visa versa ;-)

k30a
Old 27-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Moontanman

it's not a mudpuppy, mudpuppies don't leave the water to roam. Looks like
asalamander has decided to use your pond as breeding place. If he of she gets a
partner you should see babies soon. dofficult to call the species name from the
photo. maybe a slimy salamander (yes that is a species even though they all are
sliny)

Moon
remove nospam from e-mail to send to me, I grow trees in aquariums like bonsai.
I breed dwarf crayfish, great for planted community tanks. If you can get me a
shovelnose sturgeon fingerling (Scaphirhynchus platorynchus) no wild caught
please, contact me
Old 27-05-2003, 09:20 PM
GrampysGurl

It looks like a red spotted newt.
They live on land and come to the water
to breed. So more may show up ;-)

a newt was my thought as well.

Old 28-05-2003, 12:20 AM
jammer

A salamander. I am jealous as heck! Enjoy!