Old 25-03-2004, 06:02 PM
Darren Garrison

Default What the heck are these?

At the site where an old house has been recently torn down and the groud leveled, I found these
plants lying bare-root on the surface (surrounding them were some growing from roots beneath the
ground. The roots start out long and narrow, but buldge out on the ends. Is this a perinnial
flower that I should keep and plant, or just some type of grass that I can toss?

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/plant1.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/plant2.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/plant3.jpg

Old 25-03-2004, 07:12 PM
MOM PEAGRAM

They look like a day lily or similar plant.
They are definitely not a grass.

Old 25-03-2004, 07:12 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Those are daylilies - nice healthy ones at that!
Cheryl

Old 25-03-2004, 07:32 PM
Cereus-validus

You may have hit the jackpot.

Those are Daylily (Hemerocallis) plants. There are many fine flowered
Daylily cultivars out there.

http://www.daylilies.org/AHSfaq1.html

Plant them and see what the flowers look like.

If you don't like them, you can always dig them up and discard them later.

Old 25-03-2004, 07:32 PM
paghat

You should divide them a bit & plant them right now. That way, in the
distant future, when YOUR house is torn down, these flowers will still be
there.

-paghat the ratgirl

"Darren Garrison" wrote in message
At the site where an old house has been recently torn down and the groud

leveled, I found these
plants lying bare-root on the surface (surrounding them were some growing

from roots beneath the
ground. The roots start out long and narrow, but buldge out on the ends.

Is this a perinnial
flower that I should keep and plant, or just some type of grass that I can

toss?

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/plant1.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/plant2.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/plant3.jpg

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Old 25-03-2004, 09:32 PM
IntarsiaCo

There are many fine flowered
Daylily cultivars out there.

But more likely to be the common orange roadside daylily, suitable for
stabilizing mine tailings.
Old 25-03-2004, 10:03 PM
madgardener

dayliles, and since I love them all, even if they ARE the common orange
kind, you might have hit the jackpot and have the triple variety. Don't
divide them so you'll have flowers this year........
madgardener zone 7, Sunset zone 36 Eastern Tennessee

Old 25-03-2004, 10:33 PM
Frogleg

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 19:12:33 GMT, "Cereus-validus"
wrote:

"Darren Garrison" wrote

At the site where an old house has been recently torn down and the groud

leveled, I found these
plants lying bare-root on the surface (surrounding them were some growing

from roots beneath the
ground. The roots start out long and narrow, but buldge out on the ends.

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/plant1.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/plant2.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/plant3.jpg

You may have hit the jackpot.

Those are Daylily (Hemerocallis) plants. There are many fine flowered
Daylily cultivars out there.

http://www.daylilies.org/AHSfaq1.html

Plant them and see what the flowers look like.

If you don't like them, you can always dig them up and discard them later.

Very healthy-looking daylilies, too. Try and separate the individual
plants and get 'em in the ground. The flowers (and buds) are edible,
too.
Old 25-03-2004, 11:42 PM
Darren Garrison

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 22:13:04 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

Very healthy-looking daylilies, too. Try and separate the individual
plants and get 'em in the ground. The flowers (and buds) are edible,
too.

I seperated out the individual plants from the clusters (resisting the urge to snap off each swollen
segment) and ended up with a dozen plants. I've already planted them in a raised bed that I had
just today finished prepairing but hadn't yet decided what to plant in it. Thanks for all of the
quick and helpful replies-- I didn't want to plant them only to find later that it was some kind of
uninteresting weed. (I was thinking that it was SOME type of lily as the roots looked similar to
some foxtail lily roots I had seen on QVC, but so far I hadn't been able to google up a picture that
matched).

Old 26-03-2004, 11:16 AM
Frogleg

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 16:49:33 -0500, "madgardener"
wrote:

dayliles, and since I love them all, even if they ARE the common orange
kind, you might have hit the jackpot and have the triple variety. Don't
divide them so you'll have flowers this year.......

?? Dividing daylilies doesn't prevent them from blooming, AFAIK. It's
not as if you're 'weakening' one plant by cutting off bits. You're
just separating mature plants to give them a new home. Did you look
at the photos? The roots are already out of the ground (a big problem
in my clay soil) and the OP only has to disentangle the roots, not cut
through any essential structure.

Old 14-06-2004, 05:02 PM
Darren Garrison

So, one of the (it turned out to be) daylilies has just opened it's first bloom today, and it is one
of the orange ones, but it has THREE layers! Check it out:

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison...lytriple_1.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/garrison...lytriple_2.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/garrison...lytriple_3.jpg

Old 14-06-2004, 05:02 PM
rosie read and post

they are beautiful!
thanks for the pictures!

--
rosie
http://www.infoshout.com/the_toll.htm

news : So, one of the (it turned out to be) daylilies has just opened
:
:

Old 14-06-2004, 08:05 PM
Vox Humana

news

wrote:

At the site where an old house has been recently torn down and the groud

leveled, I found these
plants lying bare-root on the surface (surrounding them were some growing

from roots beneath the
ground. The roots start out long and narrow, but buldge out on the ends.

Is this a perinnial
flower that I should keep and plant, or just some type of grass that I

can toss?

Luck you! Nice daylilies.