Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM
Wayne

Default Question....

I have 10 goldfish in a 220 gallon pre-formed pond that is two years old.
How big can I expect my goldfish to get if I don't add any more and try to
keep the re-population down. Thanks!

Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM
Nedra

Hi Wayne, I'd say you've got a good chance your goldfish
will grow to 9 inches or so. This is if you keep the babies
thinned out.

Nedra

. com...

Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM
Wayne

Nedra, the strange thing is.... I've not had any goldfish babies since my
pond inception, 2 years ago. My wife and I think that maybe we've got all
males, females, or the other kind. I have 4 lilies, 5 pickerel rush, 2
others that I don't know their names, 2 of the pennyworts, several water
lettuce, several water hyacinths, and they're all doing great. The pond has
plenty of cover. Why no babies?

"Nedra" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Hi Wayne, I'd say you've got a good chance your goldfish
will grow to 9 inches or so. This is if you keep the babies
thinned out.

Nedra

. com...

Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM
Nedra

Oh My! I think you'd better Thank the Pond Gods rather
than question them??? lol Perhaps your fish have decided
that escargot is just too tasty?
Actually I have no idea. However, the odds of you having
fish - all - one sex is really up there.
Sounds like you have a well planted pond.
We need pictures, please?

Nedra

"Wayne" wrote in message
. com...
Nedra, the strange thing is.... I've not had any goldfish babies since my
pond inception, 2 years ago. My wife and I think that maybe we've got all
males, females, or the other kind. I have 4 lilies, 5 pickerel rush, 2
others that I don't know their names, 2 of the pennyworts, several water
lettuce, several water hyacinths, and they're all doing great. The pond

has
plenty of cover. Why no babies?

"Nedra" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Hi Wayne, I'd say you've got a good chance your goldfish
will grow to 9 inches or so. This is if you keep the babies
thinned out.

Nedra

. com...

Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM
Wayne

Nedra, I'm on RoadRunner and I have the opportunity to create a webpage with
pictures but I have never done it yet. I've got to do it but I don't know
how just yet. Maybe, by the time my goldfish have babies, I can have a
simple web page up with pictures. VBG. Seriously though, I'm working on
a webpage (learning it as I begin?) so hopefully soon..... now, what's wrong
with my little goldfish and their reproductive organs. The pond has
everything that it needs, I think, but a "queen size" lily pad for them to
roost on g. Is there something special with breeding goldfish?

"Nedra" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Oh My! I think you'd better Thank the Pond Gods rather
than question them??? lol Perhaps your fish have decided
that escargot is just too tasty?
Actually I have no idea. However, the odds of you having
fish - all - one sex is really up there.
Sounds like you have a well planted pond.
We need pictures, please?

Nedra

"Wayne" wrote in message
. com...
Nedra, the strange thing is.... I've not had any goldfish babies since

my
pond inception, 2 years ago. My wife and I think that maybe we've got

all
males, females, or the other kind. I have 4 lilies, 5 pickerel rush, 2
others that I don't know their names, 2 of the pennyworts, several water
lettuce, several water hyacinths, and they're all doing great. The pond

has
plenty of cover. Why no babies?

"Nedra" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Hi Wayne, I'd say you've got a good chance your goldfish
will grow to 9 inches or so. This is if you keep the babies
thinned out.

Nedra

. com...

Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM
Nedra

Wayne, Not to worry about the web pages. I did mine on
Web Shots
which is so simple even I could pics posted. That is the
2nd one listed below. I think the link is www.webshots.com
not really sure about that though. You can probably get it
off my web site. Btw, I have my lotus pond posted there.

As for goldfish needing something to roost on before
going into family planning ... most
of us here have babies having babies. Just like in the real
world ;-) !!! I think gf only have to be a couple of months
old before spawning.

Hang in there!

Nedra

"Wayne" wrote in message
. com...
Nedra, I'm on RoadRunner and I have the opportunity to create a webpage

with
pictures but I have never done it yet. I've got to do it but I don't know
how just yet. Maybe, by the time my goldfish have babies, I can have a
simple web page up with pictures. VBG. Seriously though, I'm working

on
a webpage (learning it as I begin?) so hopefully soon..... now, what's

wrong
with my little goldfish and their reproductive organs. The pond has
everything that it needs, I think, but a "queen size" lily pad for them to
roost on g. Is there something special with breeding goldfish?

"Nedra" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Oh My! I think you'd better Thank the Pond Gods rather
than question them??? lol Perhaps your fish have decided
that escargot is just too tasty?
Actually I have no idea. However, the odds of you having
fish - all - one sex is really up there.
Sounds like you have a well planted pond.
We need pictures, please?

Nedra

"Wayne" wrote in message
. com...
Nedra, the strange thing is.... I've not had any goldfish babies since

my
pond inception, 2 years ago. My wife and I think that maybe we've got

all
males, females, or the other kind. I have 4 lilies, 5 pickerel rush,

2
others that I don't know their names, 2 of the pennyworts, several

water
lettuce, several water hyacinths, and they're all doing great. The

pond
has
plenty of cover. Why no babies?

"Nedra" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Hi Wayne, I'd say you've got a good chance your goldfish
will grow to 9 inches or so. This is if you keep the babies
thinned out.

Nedra

. com...

Old 29-05-2003, 05:44 AM
Paul in Redland

Is it possible that your fish are having babies, but that they are being
eaten b/4 they grow to any size. Gold fish will eat their young while they
are small.
Paul

"Wayne" wrote in message
. com...
Nedra, the strange thing is.... I've not had any goldfish babies since my
pond inception, 2 years ago. My wife and I think that maybe we've got all
males, females, or the other kind. I have 4 lilies, 5 pickerel rush, 2
others that I don't know their names, 2 of the pennyworts, several water
lettuce, several water hyacinths, and they're all doing great. The pond

has
plenty of cover. Why no babies?

"Nedra" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Hi Wayne, I'd say you've got a good chance your goldfish
will grow to 9 inches or so. This is if you keep the babies
thinned out.

Nedra

. com...

Old 29-05-2003, 06:32 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Odds are that they are indeed spawning, etc. But are not doing it when you
are nearby. 2 years is not a lot! Keep an eye on your fish count, I bet
you that you will suddenly see a fish you've never seen before!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"Wayne" wrote in message
. com...
Nedra, I'm on RoadRunner and I have the opportunity to create a webpage

with
pictures but I have never done it yet. I've got to do it but I don't know
how just yet. Maybe, by the time my goldfish have babies, I can have a
simple web page up with pictures. VBG. Seriously though, I'm working

on
a webpage (learning it as I begin?) so hopefully soon..... now, what's

wrong
with my little goldfish and their reproductive organs. The pond has
everything that it needs, I think, but a "queen size" lily pad for them to
roost on g. Is there something special with breeding goldfish?

"Nedra" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Oh My! I think you'd better Thank the Pond Gods rather
than question them??? lol Perhaps your fish have decided
that escargot is just too tasty?
Actually I have no idea. However, the odds of you having
fish - all - one sex is really up there.
Sounds like you have a well planted pond.
We need pictures, please?

Nedra

"Wayne" wrote in message
. com...
Nedra, the strange thing is.... I've not had any goldfish babies since

my
pond inception, 2 years ago. My wife and I think that maybe we've got

all
males, females, or the other kind. I have 4 lilies, 5 pickerel rush,

2
others that I don't know their names, 2 of the pennyworts, several

water
lettuce, several water hyacinths, and they're all doing great. The

pond
has
plenty of cover. Why no babies?

"Nedra" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Hi Wayne, I'd say you've got a good chance your goldfish
will grow to 9 inches or so. This is if you keep the babies
thinned out.

Nedra

. com...

Old 29-05-2003, 04:44 PM
GrampysGurl

Is it possible that your fish are having babies, but that they are being
eaten b/4 they grow to any size. Gold fish will eat their young while they
are small.
Paul

"Wayne" wrote in message
.com...
Nedra, the strange thing is.... I've not had any goldfish babies since my
pond inception, 2 years ago. My wife and I think that maybe we've got all
males, females, or the other kind. I have 4 lilies, 5 pickerel rush, 2
others that I don't know their names, 2 of the pennyworts, several water
lettuce, several water hyacinths, and they're all doing great. The pond

has
plenty of cover. Why no babies?

"Nedra" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Hi Wayne, I'd say you've got a good chance your goldfish
will grow to 9 inches or so. This is if you keep the babies
thinned out.

Nedra

"Wayne" wrote in message
. com...
I have 10 goldfish in a 220 gallon pre-formed pond that is two years

old.
How big can I expect my goldfish to get if I don't add any more and

try
keep the re-population down. Thanks!

That's what happens here, I have had a few along the way make it but usually
they are sushi.
Colleen
Old 30-05-2003, 01:08 AM
wekimer

same here, Wayne, I have a similar sized pond with about 10 goldfish also.
They are 4 years old, most of them. A couple are babies from last summer and
one from the summer before. My fish spawn all the time, well when the
weather is warm. If you see them chasing each other around the pond and it
seems like 4-5 are picking on 1-2 that is the males chasing the females and
that is spawning. And if left to their own devices, they then swim around
the pond and eat all the fish eggs and any babies that hatch so I never see
them until I spot one or two babies that are an inch long or more hiding out
in the plants.
I did take some water hyacinths out one year and put them in an aquarium.
Ended up hatching about 20 fry and tried to raise them to a decent size
before putting them back in the pond. Only one lived so now I leave it up to
nature and get about 1 or 2 fry that live each summer. I think because of
the size of our ponds being smaller, the goldfish are able to eat the eggs
and fry without you even seeing them.
If you see your fish spawning, a bit later check your water hyacinth roots,
You will see the tiny eggs all over the roots. kim