Old 30-05-2003, 01:56 AM
Sue Alexandre

Default Floating liner?!?!?!?!

I am SOOOO depressed.... please tell me something good that will give me
some hope. As you know I started digging a turtle pond about 2 weeks ago.
Haven't had much chance to finish it since it's been raining every day, so
today I took a vacation day and planned on getting it all done. I was so
excited to have a whole day ahead of me to work on it, I decided to remove
half the rock border and pull half the liner back to make the deep section
just a little deeper so I wouldn't have any fears about overwintering.
After undoing all the rockwork and pulling back the lining, I found water in
the deep parts. No point in digging more, it just kept filling up with
water. OK, so I decide it was fine the way it was. I put the liner back,
then go about building a rock border, again. I go to the pond store and buy
a pump, I come back and start playing with that, and I think I notice the
liner is puffing up even more, but just ignore it, figuring a couple of days
without rain and I'll be all set. I decided to go work on my big pond for
a while and ended up putzing there for 2-3 hours. When I went back to the
turtle pond, the liner is poofing up all over the place!!! Now this can't
ALL be water, there has got to be air doing this, but why???? I'm hoping
like heck that when I go look at it tomorrow it will be lying flat, but I
just had this horrible thought..... might there be a pinhole leak in my
liner and my top water is running under? Although I don't really think I'm
losing any off the top. Any explanations, please????? (And yes, I'm
tempted to go prick a pinhole in it and let the air out, but I'm resisting
the urge so that I don't get accused of being blonde!)
Sue

Old 30-05-2003, 02:56 AM
Chris

If you realy think it is air slip a piece of garden hose under the liner and
use it to purge the air.

Old 30-05-2003, 02:56 AM
Sue Alexandre

OK, might try that tomorrow if it's not raining. I guess my biggest
question is, if it's air, WHERE did it come from and WHY is it there?
Sue

Old 30-05-2003, 03:08 AM
Priscilla McCullough

Mine did that one time. What I did was let the water level in my pond get to
low and we had a weeks worth of rain and the water slipped under the liner
and lifted it up. You might have to get a pump and pump the water out from
underneath it and then filled the pond up so the water can't seap back
underneath it.
Priss
http://priss31.tripod.com/SmallPond.html

Old 30-05-2003, 05:20 AM
BenignVanilla

"Sue Alexandre" wrote in message
I am SOOOO depressed.... please tell me something good that will give me
some hope.

snip

My VF did this last week. Water from weeks of raining ran under the liner,
and lifted the VF totally out of the ground. I pulled the liner back, and
used my pump to pump the water out from underneath, and then put it all
back. My problem was that I have not finished the VF, so the liner is just
laying on the ground. I intend to bury the liner, so the runoff can't get
under neath it anymore. Another option is to run a piece of 1 inch pvc under
the liner and have it exit above the liner level somewhere away from the
pond. This way the water has a way to vent instead of lifting the liner.

BV.

Old 30-05-2003, 05:20 AM
Sue Alexandre

Thanks, Priscilla, I hope that's all it is. I was pumping the water out of
the hole with a Shop Vac, but it was filling back up again quickly. I need
this RAIN to stop for a while so the ground can dry out!
Sue

Old 30-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Priscilla McCullough

If you have the funds Home Depot has a little utility pump that pumps water
out for around $70.
Thats what I use. I have a shop vac to but on this utility pump you don't
have to empty, it jumps pumps the water out.

--
[...]

Non-floating Plants Floating Root BB[_3_] Ponds (moderated) 9 29-07-2008 12:18 AM
Floating Plant's Floating roots? BB[_3_] Ponds (moderated) 8 04-07-2008 09:22 PM
Floating Liner Xspect Ponds 3 23-09-2005 09:26 AM
floating liner Lydia Ponds 4 21-10-2003 06:32 AM
Floating liner danrahan Ponds 2 12-08-2003 03:10 AM