Old 31-05-2003, 05:20 PM

Default Water Hyacinth fertilizer ?

Hi, what kind of fertilizer can I use on my floating water hyacinth ? I
plan on taking them out of the pond and putting them into a large bucket
to fertilize them, but I don't know what type of fertilizer to use. Can
I use a liquid fish emulation?
Thanks for any help.
Lucy, zone 7 New York

Old 31-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Jerrispond

Hi, what kind of fertilizer can I use on my floating water hyacinth ? I
plan on taking them out of the pond and putting them into a large bucket
to fertilize them,

Throw a few spoons per 1000 gallons of 0-0-60 right into the ponds....You will
be AMAZED. That is what a lot of us from this board did last year....all with
good results....Jerri

Old 31-05-2003, 05:56 PM
Steve and Tiffany

Jerri,

Would 0-0-60 encourage algae? I have a veggie filter ... I guess I
could turn the water off for a few hours, drop some fertilizer in and
then open the drain up.. and then put it back into operation?

-Steve

Old 31-05-2003, 09:44 PM
joe

Steve and Tiffany wrote:

Jerri,

Would 0-0-60 encourage algae? I have a veggie filter ... I guess I
could turn the water off for a few hours, drop some fertilizer in and
then open the drain up.. and then put it back into operation?

-Steve

On 31 May 2003 16:31:28 GMT, (Jerrispond) wrote:

Hi, what kind of fertilizer can I use on my floating water hyacinth ? I
plan on taking them out of the pond and putting them into a large bucket
to fertilize them,

Throw a few spoons per 1000 gallons of 0-0-60 right into the ponds....You
will
be AMAZED. That is what a lot of us from this board did last year....all
with
good results....Jerri

No, if anything it will discourage it. The healthier the other plants, the
less algae. It will really green up your plants.

Joe

Old 31-05-2003, 10:56 PM

Attached Files
File Type: (78 Bytes, 79 views)

Old 31-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Jerrispond

Would 0-0-60 encourage algae? I have a veggie filter ... I guess I
could turn the water off for a few hours, drop some fertilizer in and
then open the drain up.. and then put it back into operation?

Please don't complicate this....put a few tablespoons( per 1000 gallons)
directly into the pond water. It will make the hyacinths grow like
crazy....they in turn will take the nutrients from the water and shade
it....pretty soon all the algea is gone. I also have a veggie filter, and it
just runs thru the whole system ) Jerri

Old 01-06-2003, 12:56 AM
Moontanman

Why would a water hyacinth need fertilizer? Mine grow like crazy just from the
fish waste. Unless you don't have fish they shouldn't need any help.

Moon
remove nospam from e-mail to send to me, I grow trees in aquariums like bonsai.
I breed dwarf crayfish, great for planted community tanks. If you can get me a
shovelnose sturgeon fingerling (Scaphirhynchus platorynchus) no wild caught
please, contact me
Old 02-06-2003, 04:20 AM
BenignVanilla

"Jerrispond" wrote in message

Hi, what kind of fertilizer can I use on my floating water hyacinth ? I
plan on taking them out of the pond and putting them into a large bucket
to fertilize them,

Throw a few spoons per 1000 gallons of 0-0-60 right into the ponds....You

will
be AMAZED. That is what a lot of us from this board did last year....all

with
good results....Jerri

Jerri...where do you get your 0-0-60? Home Depot?

BV.

Old 02-06-2003, 04:56 AM
*muffin*

Jerri...where do you get your 0-0-60? Home Depot?

BV.

I couldn't find it at my home depot,, finally found it in a small bag at a
garden center.

Muffin & a *thanks* to Angelo Pettiti, for letting me use his cell phone
: )

Old 02-06-2003, 03:45 PM
Jerrispond

Jerri...where do you get your 0-0-60? Home Depot?

Ace hardware has it, I get it at a local nursery. It is just a small bag....a
couple of pounds, and lasts all season Jerri