Old 31-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Jerrispond

Default Missing catfish

My 12+ inch channel cat has not shown up to eat for 3 days. I have slowely
been losing goldfish also. I am sure it is not a heron, there is no hiding
from the other fish....They are acting like normal. I DO have bullfrogs, and
think it is either a large bullfrog or a snake....I have not seen a snake OR a
large bullfrog, however at night when they croak they sound as large as a VW
bus!! LOL How big would the frog have to be to take down a catfish that
big....remember this was a channel cat and they have those large barbs on the
fins that will slice you up......Jerri

Old 31-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Lori

bus!! LOL How big would the frog have to be to take down a catfish that
big.

Frogs WILL NOT kill or eat a catfish.

I would start looking for raccoon tracks.
Old 01-06-2003, 01:20 AM
Jerrispond

I would start looking for raccoon tracks.

If it were a racoon there would be damage to my heavily planted lily
pond.....There would also be a predator response from the fish I
think.....Jerri

Old 01-06-2003, 03:32 AM
K30a

bullfrog..... reaching 8 inches in body length and over a foot long with

legs outstretched.

In my searches I found a page on farming bullfrogs, very interesting -
http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/fisheries...5/420-255.html

I know catfish have spines. Herons are very careful always to eat fish head
first to avoid any fish with spines.
A snapping turtle?

k30a
Old 01-06-2003, 06:32 AM