Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
SlimFlem

Default Whiptail Catfish and plants

Hi.

Can Whiptail catfish be verified to be plant tank safe? I've had one in my
plant tank for at least 8 months. He (I call him he.) has gotten quite
large...probably like 5 inches. I am starting to wonder if he is putting
some of the holes in my Sword leaves and munching on the new tender leaves
that are coming up from the middle of the plant.

Does anyone have experience with this catfish in a planted tank?

thanks.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Ian Mather

My Whiptail is about the same size. and as far as I've seen there has been
no damage to my plants from him. I see him going after the green spot algae
on my glass.

Ian

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Philippe Lemaire

I would say the hole is potentially there at a weaken place of the leaf due to some
nutrition problem... Then some fish goes on it (Botia) and reveals the hole !

When healthy my plants resist Botia and Ancistrus.
When some deficient are there they show holes and break feeble stems.

I would add some tablet under the sword.

Philippe

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
SlimFlem

Ok, that's more of what I was thinking. Almost one week ago I added a
SeaChem Florish tab under each Sword hoping that would help them. Do you
know how long it takes for the tabs to doing their thing? Does it just
slowly dissolve and spread through the substrate or do the plant roots start
to wrap around it and "feed" from it?

jesse

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Bruce Geist

Sometimes it comes down to the individual fish. I am not exactly sure what
type of "Whiptail" cat fish you may have. If its the type I cited in an
earlier post, you should watch him carefully (at night especially). Check
out George Booth's site (http://aquaticconcepts.thekrib.com/), where he
advises

"Plecostomus is the generic name for a wide range of sucker-mouth fish. Only
the smaller types are useful in a planted tank, since the larger varieties
tend to eat the plant right along with the algae. Two common types that are
useful are the "bristle-nose plecostomus" and the "clown plecostomus" or
Pekoltia. Both stay under 4" long and don't seem to cause too much plant
damage. Sometimes broad-leafed plants like Amazon swords will be scraped a
little too closely by the plecos, so they bear watching.

Their diet can be supplemented by blanched zucchini and bottom feeder
tablets. They also appreciate a chunk of driftwood in the aquarium to
satisfy their need for cellulose. "
-Bruce

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Philippe Lemaire

The tab dissolves and nutriments finally reach the roots...
I don't think the roots are able to change direction to reach the high nutritious areas :-(

Only new growths will benefit of the tabs for old growths can only stay as they are
for some nutriments, or be deplated of them to help new groth for others :-(

Philippe

"SlimFlem" wrote in message news:BSVT9.13578$Dn.1091@sccrnsc03...
| Ok, that's more of what I was thinking. Almost one week ago I added a
| SeaChem Florish tab under each Sword hoping that would help them. Do you
| know how long it takes for the tabs to doing their thing? Does it just
| slowly dissolve and spread through the substrate or do the plant roots start
| to wrap around it and "feed" from it?
|
| jesse

Catfish, Crayfish, Shrimp and Tilapia in Europe? JoyofBaking Ponds 0 31-03-2011 01:08 AM
koi and catfish Priscilla McCullough Ponds 4 23-03-2005 05:41 PM
Koi and Catfish MIstatee Ponds 21 26-07-2004 02:02 AM
A goose and a catfish... George Ponds 15 26-05-2004 07:05 AM
Loaches and MTS (plants, catfish, cichlids) kevin Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 25-04-2003 10:56 PM