Old 02-06-2003, 03:45 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Snails!!!

I was in the pond this weekend, trying to stir the clay up off the upper
regions and get it to settle down lower so it would get sucked into the BD
and end up in my VF. In my scraping, I turned up a small snail. I'd say s/he
was about 3/8 of an inch long, and had very long eye stalks (is that what
they are?). His/her shell was not what I normally think of, IE it was not
nautilus shapped, but more pointy.

Unfortunately the pregnant sister in law is due in a few weeks, and has both
my video cam and my digital cam so I could not get a picture.

Anyway...cool to have a new pond inhabitant.

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond

Old 02-06-2003, 03:45 PM
K30a

Now that we've got you throughly hooked, lined
and sinkered there is a book you ought to get.

At Barnes and Noble it is in the wildlife section where all the ID-ed books
are. Very small, a Golden Guide from St. Martin's Press titled POND LIFE by
George K. Reid. Great reference for whatever you find in the pond.
There you can find out that there are gilled snails who breathe underwater and
pulmonate snails who must return to the surface to breath.
In my eight little pondlets in the house I have all sorts of snails.
In one closed environment I have had snails for a couple years, they have
gotten smaller and smaller but they keep on breeding and having new
generations.

(See what ponding does to you, I have pet snails, sheesh!)

k30a
Old 02-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

K30a wrote:
Now that we've got you throughly hooked, lined
and sinkered there is a book you ought to get.

At Barnes and Noble it is in the wildlife section where all the ID-ed books
are. Very small, a Golden Guide from St. Martin's Press titled POND LIFE by
George K. Reid. Great reference for whatever you find in the pond.
There you can find out that there are gilled snails who breathe underwater and
pulmonate snails who must return to the surface to breath.
In my eight little pondlets in the house I have all sorts of snails.
In one closed environment I have had snails for a couple years, they have
gotten smaller and smaller but they keep on breeding and having new
generations.

(See what ponding does to you, I have pet snails, sheesh!)

k30a

You may find the book in the children's area. That's where
I found mine at B & N.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 02-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

The Golden Press from St Martin's Press is considered to be
writers of children's books. However, on the back of the
book it states: A Classic Guide for All Ages ;-)

Old 02-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Hank Pagel wrote:
I thought you were hinting towards second childhood. Maybe not too far off.

My family thinks I never left the first.
Bonnie

Old 02-06-2003, 07:56 PM
K30a

They really have a great collection of ID books.
Just the right size to fit into a pocket or backpack.
And when you consider that books on aquatic insects usually run upwards of $50+
(because they are textbooks), this is a good buy and great for us enthusiastic
amatuers!

k30a
Old 02-06-2003, 08:08 PM
K30a

Oh, and the author, George K. Reid, had a doctorate in ecology and biology.
Was a rather famous fellow. He died last summer at the age of 84.

k30a