Old 04-06-2003, 06:08 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Chlorine and Sitting Time

Chlorine will 'evaporate' out of water over time. Anyone with a pool can
tell you that if you agitate the water a lot, you end up need more chlorine
sooner. So how long does it take? I wonder if you could 'clean' the chlorine
out by just letting the water sit for a time before allowing it to enter the
pond? Or maybe agitate it on it's way in?

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond

Old 04-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Hank Pagel

Before I started using charcoal filters I used to let five gallons sit over night before adding salt
and adding to salt water fish tanks. Aeration is supposed to speed up chlorine loss.
That's a lot of buckets sitting around just for a 25% water change on a 75 gallon tank.

Old 04-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

BenignVanilla wrote:
Chlorine will 'evaporate' out of water over time. Anyone with a pool can
tell you that if you agitate the water a lot, you end up need more chlorine
sooner. So how long does it take? I wonder if you could 'clean' the chlorine
out by just letting the water sit for a time before allowing it to enter the
pond? Or maybe agitate it on it's way in?

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond
Remove MYFRONTALLOBE to email me.

I believe I have read here that if you spray the water into
the pond, using a nozzle and spraying into the air, that the
chlorine will dissipate.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 04-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Sean Dinh

You can remove most chlorine within 24 hour if you agitate the water. However,
you can't remove chloramines in that time amount.

Old 04-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Tom La Bron

Bonnie,

I just put my nozzle on umbrella spray and place the nozzle into the water.
The chlorine dissipates because the water through the nozzle lowers the
pressure and beings it is released as a gas moves out of the water.

I have topped off my pond using this technique for years. I know it already
has been mentioned, but I will say it again, this technique will not work
with chloramines.

Tom L.L.