Old 09-06-2003, 07:08 AM
*muffin*

Default lily pots??

I know this has probably been talked to death on here, but somewhere I
missed it.

just what kind of pots DO you use for tropical lilies? I 'was' going to just
get the square containers the ponds place sells ( the basketweave type),,
line it with burlap & put the soil in that.. BUT I read someone on here
saying how BAD!!?? they are?

I used to use tubs, but the soil smelled sooo yucky after the season, &
thought the water flow around the pot would help keep it all from
stagnating...
((I used a clothes basket with burlap for my hardys,, too late now to change
'em))plus I have a gazillion in my other pond to replace them with
I have been waiting for this dang COLD weather to quit,, my pond has
barely come up from 55 to 63,, (finally) this weekend,, I WANNA get my
tropicals IN before the plant place sells out the ones I want.. **sniffle**
(some of my water hyacinths turned brown & mushy........ had to be the
cold??)

Old 10-06-2003, 12:44 AM
Tom La Bron

Muffin,

I have always used the plastic lily baskets and they have worked fine. I
just switched over to pea gravel this year to see how it works, but before
used soil and when it was dividing time the soil always smelled, so that
type of pot did not make a difference. Will see how the baskets/pots fair
with pea gravel. So far I have noticed that the lilies have not started
producing leaves and flower stocks as quickly as they did with soil in the
pots. The are a little slow getting started.

You want to make sure that your water is going to stay above 70 degrees F.
and the air temps are stable before you put any tropicals out. If the water
temps lowers below 70 it halts its growth.

Tom L.L.
--------------------------------

Old 10-06-2003, 01:20 AM
Go Fig

I've use Schultz' 'Clay Soil Conditioner' and add in 1/3rd Feldspar
sand. I see also Schultz' is also selling 'aquatic soil' this year...
seems to be the same as the 'clay conditioner.'

jay
Mon, Jun 9, 2003

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject...
Galileo muttered under his breath: "Nevertheless, it does move."