Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2003, 06:08 PM
JGW

Default Too Many Fish

Hi. I'm new to this group, so please forgive me if this question has
been asked before.

I have a small pond, probably around 100 gallons with two goldfish. I
had no plans have goldfish; it was an accident: these fish were
rescued from a horrible situation, and since I had a pond, I couldn't
say no. Unfortunately, they turned out to be a male and a female, so
last year they spawned. I think they must have eaten a lot of the
babies, but at least three have survived. So now I have 5 fish and
spawning season is at hand again.

I can see that this is going to get out of hand soon if I don't do
something about it.

I really don't want any more fish, but I don't have the heart to kill
them or the time/energy/money to set up another pond to separate them
by gender. Also, although I know what sex the big fish are, I don't
know what sex the yearlings are, or even (for sure) how many of them
are in there.

What do I do???

I know that if I cool the water down a lot they might not spawn, but
I'm not sure I can get the water cold enough where the pond is
located.

Is there something I can put in the water to make their eggs
infertile?

Is there some kind of fish or amphibian or something I can put in
there that will eat the eggs?

Does anybody out there live nearby and want to give a good home to
some fish? (I'm on the Oregon coast).

Thanks.

Joan