Old 09-06-2003, 10:44 PM
*muffin*

Default uv sterilizers

yes, I read pros & cons.. (g)

do the sterilizers go before or after the filter? ( I thought they were
after,, but just saw I diagram of it before..)

where is the best place to purchase one??(pricewise)
thanks.........

Old 09-06-2003, 11:32 PM
Go Fig

In article ,
"*muffin*" wrote:

yes, I read pros & cons.. (g)

do the sterilizers go before or after the filter? ( I thought they were
after,, but just saw I diagram of it before..)

After, they perform better with less turbidity.

where is the best place to purchase one??(pricewise)

What size and brand do you want ?

This is to clear green water right ?

jay
Mon, Jun 9, 2003

thanks.........

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject...
Galileo muttered under his breath: "Nevertheless, it does move."
Old 10-06-2003, 12:20 AM
*muffin*

Mon, Jun 9, 2003

yup
pea soupy..... ( to use as a clarifier,, not a sterilizer)
( am getting too tired of waiting till I can get more plants in cold to
get it to clear on its own)

pond approx 3000 gal.
NOT in need of a high powered UV,, I can wait for a week for it to
clear.......

have found a couple 40w uv's for about $160.

Old 10-06-2003, 04:08 AM
Andrew Burgess

"*muffin*" writes:

do the sterilizers go before or after the filter? ( I thought they were
after,, but just saw I diagram of it before..)

I like after, then any suspended 'good' bacteria have a chance to take up
residence in the filter. Also the water is clearer after the filter so the UV
can work better.

Old 10-06-2003, 04:20 AM
Just Me \Koi\

I thought they go before so that your filter can filter out the dead ,
clumped algae. If they go after, then all the dead algae that clumps
together goes back into your pond to contribute more green water.

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Mon, Jun 9, 2003

thanks.........

Old 10-06-2003, 04:44 AM

a 40w will do fine for your sized pond. I am scrounging around trying to find mine
so I can order a bulb for it. cant remember where I put it. Ingrid

Old 10-06-2003, 05:32 AM
Go Fig

In article ,
"Just Me \"Koi\"" wrote:

I thought they go before so that your filter can filter out the dead ,
clumped algae.

Well it doesn't really clump algae together after its killed, and you'd
need a 3-5 micro filter to get it , which would last about 10 min in
most outdoor ponds. A sand filter with 500 lbs of #20 silica will pull
it out.

If they go after, then all the dead algae that clumps
together goes back into your pond to contribute more green water.

If you start it up in early spring, it won't go green in the first place.

For years here I always got the feeling that when I suggested UV, people
thought that was cheating.

I think I see a lot less resistance to them around here these days ;-)

jay

Old 10-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Lee Brouillet

Life is too short to put up with green water. Yes, it will "go away" if you
wait long enough. But a lot of folks have very short ponding seasons and
don't want to lose the time it takes. A properly sized UV will clear green
water in 3-5 days; a smaller one will still do the job, it will just take a
little longer. Or you can wait *weeks*, which may or may not work (this
season) anyway. Me - I'm into immediate gratification: I want it NOW GBG.

This is not intended to be a "put down" to those folks that want to wait:
many of the folks on this NG are into "natural" ponds, and green water is
part of that and part of the learning curve and joy of a "natural pond".
Also, those ponds that are out in the open offer more protection to the fish
if they are green, because it's not so easy for the predators to see them.
It just depends on what you want. By no stretch of the imagination could my
pond be called "natural": I designed it (poorly, I may add!) as a koi pond,
not a watergarden with fish. There's a very large difference. One of these
days when I win the Lottery, I will have both a "proper" koi pond and a
"natural" pond: the value and beauty of one over the other cannot be
compared. They are black and white, yin and yang. Both beautiful, but
different.

Lee

Mon, Jun 9, 2003

--