Old 11-06-2003, 12:44 AM
Craig Cagle

Default Please help with baby fish ID

Hi all. I went out yesterday to feed my 16 goldfish of various size to find
many (50?) tiny new swimmers in the pond. I was very excited! Today, I go
out again and there are countless numbers of the little guys! Must be
hundreds of them. Now...

They are each less than 1/8" long, have round, dark-grey, spotted bodies,
and really skinny tails. They seem to be clinging to the edges more than
they are swimming about. Oh I forgot to mention my pleco who is the biggest
fish in the pond (8"-10"). What scares me is that these babies really look
like the pleco!! Should I wait til they grow to be sure they are not
goldfish...or get rid of them - I don't want a pleco pond...

Craig
1000 gal, Zn 9, TX

Old 11-06-2003, 01:20 AM
Charles

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 23:35:29 GMT, "Craig Cagle"
wrote:

Hi all. I went out yesterday to feed my 16 goldfish of various size to find
many (50?) tiny new swimmers in the pond. I was very excited! Today, I go
out again and there are countless numbers of the little guys! Must be
hundreds of them. Now...

They are each less than 1/8" long, have round, dark-grey, spotted bodies,
and really skinny tails. They seem to be clinging to the edges more than
they are swimming about. Oh I forgot to mention my pleco who is the biggest
fish in the pond (8"-10"). What scares me is that these babies really look
like the pleco!! Should I wait til they grow to be sure they are not
goldfish...or get rid of them - I don't want a pleco pond...

Craig
1000 gal, Zn 9, TX

Sounds to me like baby goldfish. they should start swimming fishlike
in two or three more days.
_

- Charles
-
-does not play well with others
Old 11-06-2003, 01:32 AM
Craig Cagle

I've already had one fry hatch this spring. Out of it I think there are 6
fish left at about 1 - 2 inches long. As I said, there are 16 goldfish and
1 pleco in the pond. Could they be tadpoles? Lots of toads around also...

Craig

Old 11-06-2003, 01:44 AM
K30a

Craig wrote Could they be tadpoles? Lots of toads around also..

Did you see any eggs? Toads lay them in long strings wrapped around vegetation
if they can manage it.
The toadpoles will be jet black with whiplike tails.

Pretty soon you should be able to tell what babies are swimming in your pond.

k30a

Old 11-06-2003, 03:08 AM
Craig Cagle

I did see eggs laying in some lily pots and caught in the hornwart...they
were not stringy though, kind of white or yellowish in color. If toadpoles
are black than that's not what I have - these guys are definately spotted.

Old 11-06-2003, 03:56 AM
K30a

Craig wrote these guys are definately spotted

They could be salamanders or newts.
Let us know what happens! ;-)

k30a
Old 11-06-2003, 02:20 PM
BenignVanilla

[...]

You just spelled pl*co with an 'e' and not an '*' several times. Most will
be dead in a week, I assure you.

BV.

2 baby koi, 1 baby plant ~ janj Ponds 6 14-05-2006 12:42 AM
help with baby fish [email protected] Ponds 1 01-09-2004 02:42 PM
first post ...baby fish lrpiam Ponds 3 19-07-2004 05:09 PM
Does anybody know if mosquito control or algacide will kill baby fish? George Ponds (alternative) 2 03-05-2004 05:06 AM
Baby Fish: When to Put into Pond NJ Ponds 1 20-10-2003 02:12 AM