Old 11-06-2003, 01:08 AM
siquijor

Default green algae

I have a very small pond (100 gal.) with a waterfall. I have good pumps and
filters. The problem is that I keep getting green algae covering
everything. I use Algae block in both solid and liquid form but nothing
seems to prevent it. Any suggestions?

Old 11-06-2003, 01:44 AM
K30a

Algae growing on stuff is substrate algae and is good for the pond.
Mother Nature *will* have algae grow if you give her the chance. The only way
to get rid of it is to turn the pond into a fountain with no living critters,
then there are chemical options for keeping a fountain clear.

k30a
Old 11-06-2003, 03:20 AM
Denise

If your water surface is exposed to the sun, you're going to keep
getting algae. If you cover the water surface with plants, about 75%,
that will help.

If you don't have fish in your pond, you could use stuff that puts a
film over the surface, like Aquashade. It tints the water blue and does
work to stop the growth of algae. I have used it in the past in two
small ponds I used as water gardens, no fish.

Hope this info was helpful. I am sure others here will have more
suggestions.

Denise

Visit my gardens:

http://web1.in4web.com/mtcdrc

Old 11-06-2003, 11:20 AM
GrampysGurl

I have a very small pond (100 gal.) with a waterfall. I have good pumps and
filters. The problem is that I keep getting green algae covering
everything. I use Algae block in both solid and liquid form but nothing
seems to prevent it. Any suggestions?

Is the water green or just the surfaces? The surfaces should get covered in a
layer of algae, that's normal.... If the water itself is green, you need 50-75%
surface coverage as well as oxygenating plants and marginals.... if you are
feeding your fish, stop for a while, they may not be eating it all and the
excess is becoming fertilizer for the algae, your fish will do fine on thier
own; there is plenty *in the pond to feed them.
Colleen
Old 11-06-2003, 10:20 PM
MLF

"GrampysGurl" wrote:
Is the water green or just the surfaces? The surfaces should get covered

in a
layer of algae, that's normal.... If the water itself is green, you need

50-75%
surface coverage as well as oxygenating plants and marginals.... if you

are
feeding your fish, stop for a while, they may not be eating it all and the
excess is becoming fertilizer for the algae, your fish will do fine on

thier
own; there is plenty *in the pond to feed them.

Good advice. However, there is one other solution. Become overrun by a
plague of tadpoles. They eat algae faster than a Hoover vaccuum. My pond is
so clean you could eat off it, and they really do.

BTW: I've quit feeding the fish for a while in the hope the they will get
hungry enough to have the tadpoles over for dinner. I suspect that some
natural statis will eventually be reached where the frogs, fish, and algae
all even out.

Michael Fermanis
New Orleans, Louisiana USA (Remove the RICE to reply)