Old 12-06-2003, 10:44 AM
Gene

Default A Pleco Question

I have a friend who wants to get rid of a really big pleco.
I was thinking of putting it in my 800 gal pond to control algae.
My question is: is it possible to keep it in the pond
during the winter or would it just die. I dont have a big enough tank
for it in the house. I live in the southern part of Ohio.

Old 12-06-2003, 12:08 PM
JSin

Gene wrote:
I have a friend who wants to get rid of a really big pleco.
I was thinking of putting it in my 800 gal pond to control algae.
My question is: is it possible to keep it in the pond
during the winter or would it just die. I dont have a big enough tank
for it in the house. I live in the southern part of Ohio.

It is a tropical fish you get him below 50 degrees or so and he is a
dead body. In an 800 gallon pond though it is small enough to catch him
and overwinter him in a large heated enclosure. Perhaps a horse watering
troof or other enclosure. If you want to go that way. Another option is
take him feed him up during the summer and then sell him to a local indy
pet store. Large Cichlid and Catfish owners would love to have a ready
to roll bigger than the Oscar, Pleco to put in their 250 gal tank.

--
JSin
Lost Generation Custom Tattoo

Old 12-06-2003, 12:44 PM
Glenn S.

Fortunately I do have the indoor space for the large pleco's that I harbor.
I keep two of them in my pond all summer and a friend keeps one in his pond.
During the winter, I rotate the three of them between my 220, two 125's, 65,
and 55 gallon tanks. It's a shame that the 'southern part of Ohio' isn't
closer to the eastern panhandle of WV :-)

gds
Harpers Ferry, WV
FOR SALE: 2002 Flagstaff Pop-up Camper
http://ICanHelp56.homestead.com/Camper001.html

Old 12-06-2003, 02:32 PM
JohnMcGrew

In article , Gene writes:

I have a friend who wants to get rid of a really big pleco.
I was thinking of putting it in my 800 gal pond to control algae.
My question is: is it possible to keep it in the pond
during the winter or would it just die.

I'd love to keep plecos in the pond, but they won't survive the winter, and I
haven't figured an effective way to catch them come fall. There are too many
hiding places in my pond for them to escape to.
John
Old 12-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Sue Alexandre

I'm pretty sure it would die. Last year I brought in all the orandas and
catfish in my pond and kept them in a tank, but I, too, had a co-worker
offer me a large pleco for my pond recently and I turned it down.... don't
want to have to get a bigger indoor setup come winter.
Sue

Old 12-06-2003, 05:23 PM
Bonnie NJ

Gene wrote in message ...
I have a friend who wants to get rid of a really big pleco.
I was thinking of putting it in my 800 gal pond to control algae.
My question is: is it possible to keep it in the pond
during the winter or would it just die. I dont have a big enough tank
for it in the house. I live in the southern part of Ohio.

Plecos die in ponds, they need a heated aquarium in the winter.
Bonnie
NJ

Pleco???? GaneaRowenna Ponds 16 30-08-2003 04:42 AM
Wow - Blue Pleco? DWS Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 02-05-2003 04:21 AM
L-200 Pleco ravaging my swords Robert Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 20-04-2003 06:25 AM
L-200 Pleco ravaging my swords Robert Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 29-03-2003 09:44 AM
L-200 Pleco ravaging my swords Robert Flory Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 26-03-2003 11:56 PM