Old 23-08-2003, 06:22 PM
GaneaRowenna

Default Pleco????

What are the pros and cons of a plecostamus in the pond? I have a 2500g pond,
3.5 ft at deepest, 18 goldfish and various plants. Anyone try this before?
Thanks,
ShawnAnne
High Desert, zone 6
Old 23-08-2003, 07:02 PM
mad

i have never put a pleco in a pond. i have a 100 gallon aquarium and i had
several gldfish in it and a pleco to ostensibly keep the glass free of
algae. the first thing that happened was that it didn't eat algae. #2 was
that it attached itself to the side of one of my goldfish and rasped off the
slimnecoat. i couldn't figure out why that fish was sick and had a big round
sore on it. i was subbed to a goldfish list and one of the other subbees
told me to watch carefull, maybe it was the pleco. and it was. i caught the
blasted thing early one morning. the goldfish ultimately died and the pleco
disappeared down the tube into the septic tank.

yes, i know. lets don't go there. i wouldn't do it again, but i was angry.

#3 is that that blasted pleco was really difficult to net. i truly can't
imagine having to do it in a pond. they are fast, fast, fast! and you will
have to net it when the water temp starts to drop in the fall. plecos are
tropical fish and require warm water.

mad

--
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Old 23-08-2003, 08:04 PM
Jerrispond

What are the pros and cons of a plecostamus in the pond? I have a 2500g
pond,3.5 ft at deepest, 18 goldfish and various plants. Anyone try this

before?

They are ok...although some get mean and strip the flesh from fish.( I
personally have never had this happen except on a huge angelfish in an
aquariunm)....The thing is they will die when the water gets into the 50's and
they are extremely hard to catch in a large pond. Jerri

Old 23-08-2003, 10:12 PM
AngrieWoman

"GaneaRowenna" wrote in message
What are the pros and cons of a plecostamus in the pond? I have a 2500g

pond,
3.5 ft at deepest, 18 goldfish and various plants. Anyone try this

before?
Thanks,
ShawnAnne
High Desert, zone 6

I think that plecos are too aggressive to put with goldfish. At least,
that's what the fish group said when I asked about putting in my goldfish
tank.

Plecos can get really big. I knew somebody who had one in a tank with his
Oscar. That about says it all.

Old 24-08-2003, 12:02 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

In Brazil, I measured 29" plecos that were sold for food!

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per jogger) at:
www.jogathon.net
See our pond at: http://www.home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-jameshurley
.net...

Old 24-08-2003, 03:32 AM
April1201

I was given some tropical fish, including a pleco for my aquarium. That
blasted thing was 14" long. It was like a giant prehistoric ugly as can be
dinosaur. I was able to find him a home.

I got another, thinking I needed it for algae. Soon my fish started getting
sores. You guessed it. That one left too, after I was able to catch the
blasted thing. They move faster than the speed of light. Zoom.
--------------------------------------

Old 25-08-2003, 01:12 AM
Gregory Young

I've had plecos in with fancy tail GF in indoor aquariums, without any
issue, and they grew to a formidable size (125 gallon tank). The GF included
Lionheads, Ranchu, that sort.
I've never seen them bother with a healthy fish. An injured/dying one may be
another issue.
That's my anecdotal experience anyway.
Happy ponding,
Greg

Old 25-08-2003, 02:22 AM
Bob in PA

Just to let you know, in the aquarium groups, pleco is spelled "Pl*co".
When spelled regularly, myth states that the pleco in the post will die.

--

New Layout!!
Check out my pond webpage:

Click on the My Pond Link under Places to Go

Take ME away to reply

Old 25-08-2003, 04:02 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I was going to say almost the same thing. I did have one though that was
chasing the goldfish around very suspiciously, moved it to another tank
with different goldfish and never had a problem. I got a new one for the
other tank and it has behaved.

Plecos can be very interesting (beauty in the eye of the beholder) and some
can be quite amazingly expensive. I visited a gal in Spokane who had a big
tank just for these fish, but different varieties, gorgeous creatures. One
in particular was black with yellow spots. ~ jan

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 00:08:44 GMT, "Gregory Young" wrote:

I've had plecos in with fancy tail GF in indoor aquariums, without any
issue, and they grew to a formidable size (125 gallon tank). The GF included
Lionheads, Ranchu, that sort.
I've never seen them bother with a healthy fish. An injured/dying one may be
another issue.
That's my anecdotal experience anyway.
Happy ponding,
Greg

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 27-08-2003, 03:43 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Trying to tell us something, mad?

You forgot, it's not just spelling it out, you have to use the word in a
sentence regarding the offending critter, if I understand correctly. If not
I don't think you'll ever have a pleco problem. ;o) ~ jan

Old 28-08-2003, 05:12 AM
mad

From: ~ jan JJsPond.us
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 02:38:41 GMT

Trying to tell us something, mad?

i just couldn't resist. :-D

#1-i don't believe in superstitions like this one;
#2-i'll never have a pleco problem again because i'll never own one again.

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 19:18:29 -0500, mad wrote:

pleco pleco pleco pleco pleco pleco pleco pleco pleco pleco pleco pleco

mad

--
I am in shape. Round is a shape.

Old 29-08-2003, 01:12 PM
Craig Cagle

I recently posted about my plecos and their babies in my pond. Most of the
babies have died now, but there is a new batch that has appeared - thousands
of them. Needless to say I don't believe the myth about the spelling.

Craig

A Pleco Question Gene Ponds 5 12-06-2003 05:23 PM
Wow - Blue Pleco? DWS Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 02-05-2003 04:21 AM
L-200 Pleco ravaging my swords Robert Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 20-04-2003 06:25 AM
L-200 Pleco ravaging my swords Robert Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 29-03-2003 09:44 AM
L-200 Pleco ravaging my swords Robert Flory Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 26-03-2003 11:56 PM