Old 13-06-2003, 01:32 AM
K30a

Default heron question

Alan wrote Heron tips:
- string fishing line around the pond
Can you describe how to arrange the line?

Well, not really ;-)
the heron tips have been culled from various rec.ponders (I use labradors to
deter herons)
but, thinking like a heron, there are two ways to flummox him -
string the line in such a fashion that the heron has trouble finding a place to
put his feet, this may take several trys.
or from my more extensive heron tips
13) From England "The time to stop them then is before they land. They have
such large wings that sudden stops or changes of direction are out of the
question, meaning, that if the obstacle is in the air, they are unable to fly
around it. Lengths of wire (or rot-proof strong string) stretched from roof
height on the house to a high point at the rear of the garden, completely over
the
pond. The wire should be about one metre from the adjacent piece."

k30a
Old 13-06-2003, 02:08 AM
Sue Alexandre

That is a VERY good idea - I like that! I think the temp would be just
about right in the garage, too. It gets pretty darned cold in there, but I
can't picture it getting cold enough to freeze a tub of water into a solid
chunk of ice. And then I wouldn't have to worry about keeping a floating
pond heater going all year, either. I will, of course, keep the one going
on the koi pond, but wasn't looking forward to doubling the expense.
Thanks - I like that idea!
Sue

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
.. .
My friend overwinters his turtles in cement tubs ($10.00 at Home Depot).

He
keeps them on his garage floor. The water gets cold but not freezing.

Sam

"Sue Alexandre" wrote in message
Hi, Alan:
Can't answer your question about your missing fish, but I have a

question
if
I may...... I'm thrilled to hear that your painted made it through this
horrible winter. I just built a turtle pond and have an Eastern Painted

and
a RES in there. I'm hoping to overwinter them in there, and I'm in
Connecticut. Did you notice where the turtle hibernated? Did he have

dirt
to bury himself in, or did he go to the deepest part of the pond?
Sue

wrote in message
ganews.com...
If a heron discovers a pond, will it eat its fill whenever it shows

up,
or
just grab one fish and go? I have a preformed pond surrounded by

plants
(toads and frogs would love it, if I could get any, but that's another
story), which had 14 goldfish about three inches long (one was an

orando,
which sure as heck couldn't jump out.)

They all made it through the longest winter in Baltimore history (as

did
my painted turtle), but I've lost six of them since April. And I mean
lost, as in they disappeared. There's been no sign of remains in the
pond, which lets the turtle off the hook (she can't catch them,

anyway -
in almost two years, she never even came close to catching a fish,

even
the oranda), and turtles are messy eaters - there'd be scales in the

pond
if she was guilty, even of only eating fish that died naturally.

There's
also been no bodies or parts or crowds of flies outside the pond, and

the
potted plants on the ledge are never knocked over, which would seem to
absolve raccoons or cats. We've never seen a snake in six years of

the
pond being up, so that's unlikely. We've never seen a heron, either

(the
flamingos make the buffet look occupied, perhaps), and I'd figure a

heron
would scarf a bunch of smallish fish at a time, but what's left?

Alan

**** Please use address ) to reply via e-mail. ****

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564

Old 13-06-2003, 02:08 AM
John Hines

"BB" wrote:

I have heard that if you put a fake life-sized heron at your pond, no others
will come because they assume the spot is *taken*.

I don't have first-hand information on this, just something I have heard.
But might be worth a try.

My local pond store reports sales are good. So far no complaints heard.
Old 13-06-2003, 01:20 PM
BenignVanilla

"K30a" wrote in message
snip
13) From England "The time to stop them then is before they land.

snip

Does this include mortar fire? Chaff? AA guns?

BV.

Old 13-06-2003, 03:20 PM
K30a

BV wrote Does this include mortar fire? Chaff? AA guns?

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the
beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields
and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender."

k30a

Old 13-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Jerrispond

Does this include mortar fire? Chaff? AA guns?

A 22 does just fine....put them in a trash bag, and out with the garbage....I
HATE herons!!! Jerri

Old 13-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Jerrispond

I have heard that if you put a fake life-sized heron at your pond, no others
will come because they assume the spot is *taken*.

I paid $50 for one, and the herons still come...I also put out a cement
alligator...still they come...a 22 is the only true answer. Jerri

Old 13-06-2003, 06:08 PM
K30a

poster not credited to keep her out of jail wrote A 22 does just fine....put
them in a trash bag, and out with the garbage....I
HATE herons!!!

I know we have a tradition of rugged individualism in this country but you've
got to be realisitic ...

Do not attempt to kill, maim or harm a heron. They are protected under the

Migratory Bird Act. A
HREF="http://migratorybirds.fws.gov/intrnltr/mbta/mbtandx.html"http://mig
ratorybirds.fws.gov/intrnltr/mbta/mbtandx.html/A
click on the 'H'

Remember fines and jail time cut in on ponding time.

k30a
Old 13-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

K30a wrote:
BV wrote Does this include mortar fire? Chaff? AA guns?

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the
beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields
and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender."

k30a

I spotted a heron flying over the yard this morning. Guess
I'll be spending more time on "heron watch".

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 13-06-2003, 09:56 PM
MLF

"Jerrispond" wrote:
I paid $50 for one, and the herons still come...I also put out a cement
alligator...still they come...a 22 is the only true answer. Jerri

If you can hit a heron at any distace with a 22, you're one heck of a shot -
certainly better than I am. Personally, if the issue is to inflict the
maximum damage, I'd choose a well-choked shotgun.

Michael Fermanis
New Orleans, Louisiana USA (Remove the RICE to reply)

Old 14-06-2003, 12:08 AM
Jerrispond

If you can hit a heron at any distace with a 22, you're one heck of a shot -
certainly better than I am. Personally, if the issue is to inflict the
maximum damage, I'd choose a well-choked shotgun.

out the 2nd story window is a cinch....a shotgun would get the liner also.

Old 14-06-2003, 12:44 AM

In vP2Ga.2187$8p2.826@lakeread04, on 06/12/03
at 01:33 PM, "Sue Alexandre" said:

Hi, Alan:
Can't answer your question about your missing fish, but I have a question
if I may...... I'm thrilled to hear that your painted made it through
this horrible winter. I just built a turtle pond and have an Eastern
Painted and a RES in there. I'm hoping to overwinter them in there, and

What do you feed your painted turtle?

Old 14-06-2003, 03:56 AM
Sue Alexandre

Hi, Alan:
I've only had him for a week now, but I've been using floating turtle sticks
and pieces of chicken left over from dinner. I'm trying to get him to like
me, and I think the chicken might be doing the trick!
Sue

ganews.com...

Old 14-06-2003, 09:08 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I am amazed at all the responses and not one said: KINGFISHER.!

A heron can eat at least eight 10-12" koi in one meal, so all your small
goldies would have been gone. A Kingfish, otoh, would dive and take one
each time, half a dozen 3" would probably fill it up. The best cure for a
Kingfisher is an orange plastic fish $5, can be seen at www.aqua-mart.com
~ jan

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 12:49:22 -0400, wrote:

[...]

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 14-06-2003, 11:08 PM
K30a

But you can hear a Kingfisher if you have one.
Unless he came while the home occupants are out of the house.
They have this rackous call, like kak-ak-kak-ak. And they spend most of their
time kakking on about their potential fish meal.
Once you know it you'll always recognize it.

k30a

heron/cat scarers..question Tumbleweed United Kingdom 5 26-04-2004 11:08 AM
Help for Heron Szpond Ponds 12 19-10-2003 02:02 AM
Heron alert! Don Ponds 8 30-05-2003 08:33 PM
Heron Priscilla McCullough Ponds (alternative) 1 30-04-2003 05:08 PM
Grey Heron Question NTL News Ponds 8 22-04-2003 07:32 AM