Old 14-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Anne Lurie

Default heron question

It really doesn't sound like Kingfisher behavior. I don't know that much
about ponds, but I'm a birdwatcher, and the Kingfishers I've seen usually
have a perch above the water so they can keep an eye on things. They're
fond of sitting on telephone lines; I can recall one road where each
Kingfisher had his own territory, i.e., the section of line between two
poles.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
I am amazed at all the responses and not one said: KINGFISHER.!

A heron can eat at least eight 10-12" koi in one meal, so all your small
goldies would have been gone. A Kingfish, otoh, would dive and take one
each time, half a dozen 3" would probably fill it up. The best cure for a
Kingfisher is an orange plastic fish $5, can be seen at

www.aqua-mart.com
~ jan

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 12:49:22 -0400, wrote:

If a heron discovers a pond, will it eat its fill whenever it shows up,

or
just grab one fish and go? I have a preformed pond surrounded by plants
(toads and frogs would love it, if I could get any, but that's another
story), which had 14 goldfish about three inches long (one was an orando,
which sure as heck couldn't jump out.)

They all made it through the longest winter in Baltimore history (as did
my painted turtle), but I've lost six of them since April. And I mean
lost, as in they disappeared. There's been no sign of remains in the
pond, which lets the turtle off the hook (she can't catch them, anyway -
in almost two years, she never even came close to catching a fish, even
the oranda), and turtles are messy eaters - there'd be scales in the pond
if she was guilty, even of only eating fish that died naturally. There's
also been no bodies or parts or crowds of flies outside the pond, and the
potted plants on the ledge are never knocked over, which would seem to
absolve raccoons or cats. We've never seen a snake in six years of the
pond being up, so that's unlikely. We've never seen a heron, either (the
flamingos make the buffet look occupied, perhaps), and I'd figure a heron
would scarf a bunch of smallish fish at a time, but what's left?

Alan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 15-06-2003, 01:20 AM

In 9%vGa.4126$8p2.3194@lakeread04, on 06/13/03
at 10:45 PM, "Sue Alexandre" said:

Hi, Alan:
I've only had him for a week now, but I've been using floating turtle
sticks and pieces of chicken left over from dinner. I'm trying to get
him to like me, and I think the chicken might be doing the trick!

That's what mine gets - Repto-Min and boiled chicken.

Alan

**** Please use address ) to reply via e-mail. ****

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564

Old 16-06-2003, 12:56 AM

In , on 06/14/03
at 01:00 PM, ~ jan JJsPond.us said:

I am amazed at all the responses and not one said: KINGFISHER.!

A heron can eat at least eight 10-12" koi in one meal, so all your small
goldies would have been gone. A Kingfish, otoh, would dive and take one
each time, half a dozen 3" would probably fill it up. The best cure for a
Kingfisher is an orange plastic fish $5, can be seen at
www.aqua-mart.com ~ jan

I just put one in. It worked on the turtle - she tried to eat it, and
gave up after a few bites. :-)

Old 16-06-2003, 02:44 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

A heron can eat at least eight 10-12" koi in one meal, so all your small
goldies would have been gone. A Kingfish, otoh, would dive and take one
each time, half a dozen 3" would probably fill it up. The best cure for a
Kingfisher is an orange plastic fish $5, can be seen at
www.aqua-mart.com ~ jan

I just put one in. It worked on the turtle - she tried to eat it, and
gave up after a few bites. :-) Alan

LOL! Be prepared for the non-ponding humans that can't tell either. "What's
wrong with the little one that's not moving?" Or "Uh Oh, You've got a dead
one covered with green slime." ~ jan ;o)

Old 17-06-2003, 12:12 AM

In , on 06/15/03
at 06:38 PM, ~ jan JJsPond.us said:

A heron can eat at least eight 10-12" koi in one meal, so all your small
goldies would have been gone. A Kingfish, otoh, would dive and take one
each time, half a dozen 3" would probably fill it up. The best cure for a
Kingfisher is an orange plastic fish $5, can be seen at
www.aqua-mart.com ~ jan

I just put one in. It worked on the turtle - she tried to eat it, and
gave up after a few bites. :-) Alan

LOL! Be prepared for the non-ponding humans that can't tell either.
"What's wrong with the little one that's not moving?" Or "Uh Oh, You've
got a dead one covered with green slime." ~ jan ;o)

I've already got a couple of those. "That fish looks sick," was the
first.

Old 18-06-2003, 10:32 PM
cpemma

cpemma wrote:
wrote in message
ganews.com...
snipped
We've never seen a heron, either (the
flamingos make the buffet look occupied, perhaps), and I'd figure a
heron would scarf a bunch of smallish fish at a time, but what's
left?

Last summer about a dozen small goldfish just disappeared over a
period of weeks, and on one occasion my wife spotted a magpie on the
pond wall with a fish at its feet. This year we've added 3 small gold
Ogon koi, 2 have disappeared. 3 more drab Ghost koi added at the same
time are still around.

I'd not heard of magpies taking pond fish, but they have the
reputation for liking shiny things, and a google groups search found
other cases of them thieving fish here in the UK. They're also very
common in our area. (

Since writing the above, the last of the gold Ogon's has gone, along with
the brightest of the Ghosts. I'm convinced magpies are the culprits, a
family of 4 are around most days.

The fish bask half under a lily leaf, with their tails flickering, very
tempting.

Old 18-06-2003, 11:08 PM
John Hines

"cpemma" wrote:

Since writing the above, the last of the gold Ogon's has gone, along with
the brightest of the Ghosts. I'm convinced magpies are the culprits, a
family of 4 are around most days.

The fish bask half under a lily leaf, with their tails flickering, very
tempting.

Give them something to hide in?

Old 18-06-2003, 11:44 PM
John M. Darnielle

"cpemma" wrote in message
(SNIP)

I'd not heard of magpies taking pond fish, but they have the reputation

for
liking shiny things, and a google groups search found other cases of them
thieving fish here in the UK. They're also very common in our area. (

Just yesterday one of my teenagers saw a magpie dive out of the tree over
our small pond and snag a goldfish. Thet have been hanging around a lot, now
I know why.

John

heron/cat scarers..question Tumbleweed United Kingdom 5 26-04-2004 11:08 AM
Help for Heron Szpond Ponds 12 19-10-2003 02:02 AM
Heron alert! Don Ponds 8 30-05-2003 08:33 PM
Heron Priscilla McCullough Ponds (alternative) 1 30-04-2003 05:08 PM
Grey Heron Question NTL News Ponds 8 22-04-2003 07:32 AM