Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14-06-2003, 08:44 PM
sandra

Default Rule of thumb for fish stocking explanation

"Jerrispond" wrote in message
People don't realize just how big a koi gets, they are large animals.

but I still think they deserve the room....sort of
like keeping a dog on a chain in a small yard....they deserve better, they

are
pets after all Jerri

Too True. My parents had a Koi pond installed at their place about 6 yrs
ago. I learned all I could about Koi and ponding first so that I could teach
them and share the hobby with them. The pond is 3.5 ft deep at one end,
about 1.5 ft deep at shallow, about 6 ft across and 10 ft long, approx 1400
gal, concrete lined, professionally installed with sand filter, bottom
drain, water fall, top/bottom skimmers. I mention this because while the
water quality in the pond is very good, I now feel we have too many large
fish for the size of the pond. We have 6 full size and 4 young ones as well
as about 6 fancy goldfish. They all like to hang out in a group and most
seem fine with the space but one Koi in particular is approx 2ft long and I
can tell he would like more room to swim. I removed 11 goldfish from the
pond a couple months ago and they all seem calmer because of it. I intend to
remove a couple more goldfish and 3 of the young koi. If I had it to do
again, I would have less fish. I stopped going on local pond tours as I
would see one overstocked pond after another or a tiny fountain pond with
small koi in it and cringe knowing what life is going to be like for those
poor fish.
Sandra