Old 19-06-2003, 06:56 PM
*muffin*

Default Strange Pond Creatures

vegetable oil is used in horse water tanks

"Bob Adkins" wrote in message
On 19 Jun 2003 00:16:55 GMT, ESPMER (K30a) wrote:

Looked at the pictures.

RUNNNNNNNNNNN!
Mosquito larva!!!!!!

You need hungry fish or mosquito dunks.

Burnt motor oil works, but leaves the mother of all bath tub rings. ;-)

Bob

Old 19-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Gareee©

"K30a" wrote in message
Garee wrote Mosquito dunks?? what are those??

You can find them sold all over the web, here is a description from one of

the
pages.

Place Mosquito Dunks in ponds or standing water and it's active

ingredient,
Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies israaelenses called BTI kills mosquito

and
black fly larvae for 30 days or more. While floating they slowly release a

long
term biological mosquito larvacide killing the larvae before they hatch

into
adults. Will not effect fish, plants, people or wildlife. Alternative

wetting
and drying will not reduce it's effectiveness. Use one dunk per 100 sqft

of
water surface.

k30a

Oh, OK.. never heard of them yet.. so now I'll have a 2 spitter gargoyles, a
mister, lights, and a barley ball and mosquito dunks. Wonder if there will
be room for water??

--
Gareee©
Homepage:

Old 20-06-2003, 12:08 AM
K30a

Gargee wrote Wonder if there will
be room for water??

It is Mother Nature's way of telling you
that a bigger pond, or a second pond is
required! Resistance is futile....

k30a
Old 20-06-2003, 12:32 AM

In , on 06/18/03
at 07:40 PM, zookeeper said:

Koi and goldfish consider mosquito larvae "candy" and will eat all if
given the chance. Or if it is a pond where you do not want large fish,
get some gambusia or other local small fish that will eat the larvae.

Rosy red minnows.

Alan

**** Please use address ) to reply via e-mail. ****

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564

Old 20-06-2003, 01:44 AM
Gareee©

"K30a" wrote in message
Gargee wrote Wonder if there will
be room for water??

It is Mother Nature's way of telling you
that a bigger pond, or a second pond is
required! Resistance is futile....

k30a

Guess you haven't read any of my recent posts.. we're moving into a new
house, with land we just bought.

There will be a 12 foot tall waterfall in the front from the road down
towards the house, a stream then running to the right of the house, (on the
left is a Bamboo grove, which I'm going to cut some maze like paths through)
that meets with not one, not two, but 3 natural springs on our property.
Some of that area has mossy rocks n such already. We've seen box turtles
there, salamanders, and even crayfish! (And the wife's biggest kick:
Chipmunks! Go figger.

Anyway, between the springs, we're having a pond dug out by our land
grader.. it'll be probably 10 foot square or so, and will be fed by the
springs, and will then outlet back to the rest of the springs.

I won't need a filter, since I'll have natural water flow.

The waterfall will be fed by water runoff from the mountain, and if the
water tower fills, they will open that as well.

It should be interesting.

Old 20-06-2003, 02:08 AM
jammer

Hey, i just did a water change and found a strange creature myself!!!
I was pretty sure what it was because of the recent talk here, but
looked it up to be sure. Yep, a dragon or damselfly nymph. Wierd
looking thing!!!!!!! I was dipping some water without the net covering
just to see what i would find, and besides 2 baby goldfish, i had
that. I tossed it back in....
Old 20-06-2003, 03:08 AM
K30a

The dragonfly nymph will have a heavier body, oval shaped. The damselfly nymph
has a very slender body with three feathery gills on the tip.
They are both kewler beyond words!

k30a
Old 25-06-2003, 06:08 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 19:40:20 -0700, zookeeper wrote:

Koi and goldfish consider mosquito larvae "candy" and will eat all if
given the chance. Or if it is a pond where you do not want large fish,
get some gambusia or other local small fish that will eat the larvae.
The other choice is mosquito dunks, but I'm still not convinced they
work as well as they should work.

I've used both dunks and bits. I have a lot of fishless containers as I
divide my plants and sell the divides. Thus they sit in containers till
purchased. Faithfully this spring I've been adding dunks or bits as needed.
This last weekend was a Garden Faire, I redid my containers and packed up
the best looking plants. The rest I cleaned and refilled the containers,
w/o putting new dunks or bits in. 4 days later I discovered mosquito larvae
in one, first time I'd seen any. Needless to say out came the bits, and
today none to be seen, so I'd say they've been working well for me.
) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 25-06-2003, 08:20 AM
zookeeper

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 19:40:20 -0700, zookeeper wrote:
Koi and goldfish consider mosquito larvae "candy" and will eat all if
given the chance ...
The other choice is mosquito dunks, but I'm still not convinced they
work as well as they should work.

I've used both dunks and bits ... I redid my containers and packed up
the best looking plants. The rest I cleaned and refilled the containers,
w/o putting new dunks or bits in. 4 days later I discovered mosquito larvae
in one, first time I'd seen any. Needless to say out came the bits, and
today none to be seen, so I'd say they've been working well for me.

That's interesting. I noticed that after I scooped the larvae 3-4 times
a day for 4-5 days, even a week later there are only 8-10 larvae in the
entire pool. Maybe the water needs to be a certain temp for the dunks to
work. They seem to be working now. Need to do more research ...
--
Kathy B

Strange creatures Jeanne Stockdale United Kingdom 0 26-09-2006 10:02 PM
strange little creatures? gardeningroger United Kingdom 13 18-05-2006 01:32 PM
Pond creatures Bill Stock Ponds 23 25-10-2004 08:48 PM
Strange Creatures II Paul DeWolf Ponds 7 03-07-2003 07:20 AM
Good pond creatures Scott Teetsel Ponds 5 20-06-2003 08:08 PM