Old 18-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Steve

Default Strange Pond Creatures

Hiya All
Heres hoping you can help me with identifying
some tiny worm like creatures I have in the pond.
They are about 1/2 cm big , and very thin , they tend to (Swim/Wriggle)
around in a figure of 8 , and there are a lot of them indeed. They also
appear to have gill like characteristics on the front??!! of them. All help
will be appreciated
TIA

Steve

Old 19-06-2003, 12:44 AM
Steve

Hiya All
Heres hoping you can help me with identifying
some tiny worm like creatures I have in the pond.
They are about 1/2 cm big , and very thin , they tend to (Swim/Wriggle)
around in a figure of 8 , and there are a lot of them indeed. They also
appear to have gill like characteristics on the front??!! of them. All

help
will be appreciated
TIA

Steve

Updated with a few pictures cause I cant really
describe em

http://www.backgarden.net/creatures.htm

Old 19-06-2003, 12:44 AM
joe

Steve wrote:

Heres hoping you can help me with identifying
some tiny worm like creatures I have in the pond.
They are about 1/2 cm big , and very thin , they tend to (Swim/Wriggle)
around in a figure of 8 , and there are a lot of them indeed. They also
appear to have gill like characteristics on the front??!! of them. All help
will be appreciated
TIA

Sounds like maybe they are mosquito larvae

Old 19-06-2003, 01:20 AM
Steve

"Mike" wrote in message

mosquito larva

Steve wrote:
Hiya All
Heres hoping you can help me with identifying
some tiny worm like creatures I have in the pond.
They are about 1/2 cm big , and very thin , they tend to (Swim/Wriggle)
around in a figure of 8 , and there are a lot of them indeed. They also
appear to have gill like characteristics on the front??!! of them. All

Updated with a few pictures cause I cant really
describe em
http://www.backgarden.net/creatures.htm

So are these guys bad to have and should I take steps to eliminate them , If
so what steps would they be (apart from fish)

TIA

Steve

Old 19-06-2003, 01:20 AM
K30a

Looked at the pictures.

RUNNNNNNNNNNN!
Mosquito larva!!!!!!

You need hungry fish or mosquito dunks.

k30a
Old 19-06-2003, 01:32 AM
jammer

`It still looks like mosquitos to me...

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 00:37:50 +0100, "Steve"

Old 19-06-2003, 02:56 AM
NiTRouZx

get some mesquito fish....they eat lots and lots of larva
Old 19-06-2003, 03:56 AM
zookeeper

Steve wrote:
"Mike" wrote in message

mosquito larva

So are these guys bad to have and should I take steps to eliminate them , If
so what steps would they be (apart from fish)

Koi and goldfish consider mosquito larvae "candy" and will eat all if
given the chance. Or if it is a pond where you do not want large fish,
get some gambusia or other local small fish that will eat the larvae.
The other choice is mosquito dunks, but I'm still not convinced they
work as well as they should work.
--
Kathy B, zookeeper
3500gal pond, 13 pond pigs

Old 19-06-2003, 10:44 AM
Steve

Thx for all you guys for the help ,Im gonna go get some goldfish now :-)

Thx again...

Steve

Old 19-06-2003, 12:32 PM
Bob Adkins

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 00:37:50 +0100, "Steve" wrote:

Updated with a few pictures cause I cant really
describe em

http://www.backgarden.net/creatures.htm

From the subject line, I thought you were talking about Theo. :-)

There are mosquito larvae. Good for the pond, bad for us after they
metamorphose. 1 or 2 gambusia in a small pond will all but eliminate them.

Bob
Old 19-06-2003, 12:32 PM
Gareee©

"K30a" wrote in message

Looked at the pictures.

RUNNNNNNNNNNN!
Mosquito larva!!!!!!

You need hungry fish or mosquito dunks.

k30a

Mosquito dunks?? what are those??

--
Gareee©
Homepage:

Old 19-06-2003, 01:32 PM
K30a

Garee wrote Mosquito dunks?? what are those??

You can find them sold all over the web, here is a description from one of the
pages.

Place Mosquito Dunks in ponds or standing water and it's active ingredient,

Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies israaelenses called BTI kills mosquito and
black fly larvae for 30 days or more. While floating they slowly release a long
term biological mosquito larvacide killing the larvae before they hatch into
adults. Will not effect fish, plants, people or wildlife. Alternative wetting
and drying will not reduce it's effectiveness. Use one dunk per 100 sqft of
water surface.

k30a

Strange creatures Jeanne Stockdale United Kingdom 0 26-09-2006 10:02 PM
strange little creatures? gardeningroger United Kingdom 13 18-05-2006 01:32 PM
Pond creatures Bill Stock Ponds 23 25-10-2004 08:48 PM
Strange Creatures II Paul DeWolf Ponds 7 03-07-2003 07:20 AM
Good pond creatures Scott Teetsel Ponds 5 20-06-2003 08:08 PM