Old 21-06-2003, 11:32 PM
MLLYDOE

Default Grey Heron came for breakfast

I had the same problem and the guys said to put a floating duck in the pond and
the bird shouldn't return
Old 22-06-2003, 12:32 AM
FBCS

Do you think the duck will attract ducks? I heard they are just as
destructive.

Joann

Old 22-06-2003, 12:44 AM
FBCS

Sam at this moment I agree with you. He's gotten the largest koi (my
favorite, Big White) and largest goldfish.

There is nothing you can do I guess. Hope the netting works.
Joann

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
.. .
Seriously though sometimes you just need to resort to drastic measures.

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
.. .
Perfect case to wind up in the surpreme court. Obvisouly the law is
outdated.

"K30a" wrote in message
Sam wrote Shoot it. Yeah there's people who will say that it's

against
the
law but I
ask you, did the person writing the law have a pond? Probably not.

The law was written to keep all the herons from being slaughtered for

lady's
hats after the turn of the century.
But your argument still won't *fly* in court. Didn't a couple of years

ago
here. Cost the fellow his job and $5000.

k30a

Old 22-06-2003, 01:08 PM
MLF

"MLLYDOE" wrote:
I had the same problem and the guys said to put a floating duck in the

pond and
the bird shouldn't return

That may work, although I'm not sure why a heron would avoid ducks. My
parents lived on a lake and had problems with a number of animals. They
found that a large imitation snake did the job just fine as long as you move
it every day or two. Fake owls work for some people too.

Michael Fermanis
New Orleans, Louisiana USA (Remove the RICE to reply)

Old 22-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

MLF wrote:
"MLLYDOE" wrote:

I had the same problem and the guys said to put a floating duck in the

pond and

the bird shouldn't return

That may work, although I'm not sure why a heron would avoid ducks. My
parents lived on a lake and had problems with a number of animals. They
found that a large imitation snake did the job just fine as long as you move
it every day or two. Fake owls work for some people too.

Michael Fermanis
New Orleans, Louisiana USA (Remove the RICE to reply)

I regularly pass a house with a fake snake on the roof.
Aparently the homeowners where bothered by birds and
put a snake on the roof the keep the birds away ;-)

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 22-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Coffee

Here is a site for predators of ponds.
http://www.ponddoc.com/WhatsUpDoc/Pr...DreadPred.html
Patty

Old 23-06-2003, 12:56 AM
RichToyBox

About 30 years ago, I had a strawberry patch and put a rubber snake in the
patch to keep the birds out. One day I went to pick some strawberries and
apparently one of my neighbors had been to the strawberry patch. The rubber
snake had its head cut off.
--
RichToyBox

Old 23-06-2003, 10:20 PM

They dont work. As long as no other herons strip your pond it appears they work,
then a heron makes a visit and strips the pond. The Pond Lady had em up all around
her ponds and for years never had a heron visit. Then the herons found her ponds and
then nothing worked to keep em out. She will have to net her ponds or continue to
lose fish. Ingrid

Heron,s are territorial so the only thing thats known to keep them away is a
fake heron at the pond.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 23-06-2003, 10:33 PM
K30a

Herons are territorial *but* in times and places of abundant fish their
territory can be just a few yards across. So when they find a pond with lots of
fish they are perfectly willing to hang out together.
Also juvenile herons will fish in groups until they are older.

k30a
Old 28-06-2003, 07:56 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Did she try the motion sprinkler scarecrow?

I'm hearing good reviews, and I am happy with mine. Though I am waiting for
shops to start selling the scarecrow sign: "Beware of attack sprinkler."

Since I put my little post-its on the door with "Sprinkler?" written on
them, both going in (to remember to turn it on) and out, to turn it off. I
haven't got wet lately. Course it also is wise to take your last look at
the pond, before turning it on. Once turned on, with downcast eyes (so you
don't see something else to snip, straighten, or rearrange) go straight in
the house. ~ jan

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 21:12:41 GMT, wrote:

They dont work. As long as no other herons strip your pond it appears they work,
then a heron makes a visit and strips the pond. The Pond Lady had em up all around
her ponds and for years never had a heron visit. Then the herons found her ponds and
then nothing worked to keep em out. She will have to net her ponds or continue to
lose fish. Ingrid

Heron,s are territorial so the only thing thats known to keep them away is a
fake heron at the pond.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
endorsements or recommendations I make.

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 28-06-2003, 08:56 AM
Greg Cooper

I like your post-note idea. I get wet at least once a day.
I now have 2 scarecrows, an electric fido fence and after a little Coon
problem which cost us our largest fish, a net. The heron does not seem
to like to fly into our property now that the trees and shrubs have
grown up. I guess they like open glide paths.

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

Old 28-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Steve Noel

I have learned so much from this group over the last couple of years I
thought I would share my solution for herons. After losing nine
of my best gold fish and three tame frogs to a *#@(^ heron I
connected a motion detector to a 24 volt fire alarm strobe light using
a 24 volt transformer and set the motion detector on "TEST" so it will
work day or night.
I also got some 1/2 inch PVC pipe and strung a fishing wire on it like
a bow but with two strings (ll . I lay these across my 8ft. wide pond
as a tripping device that we all know about. I can easily remove these
when people come over or I am outside and don`t want to look at all
that.
The bows were just an extra till I was sure the strobe would work. Its
been a month and NO MISSING FISH. The sudden flash of a strobe should
be too much for the boldest of critters. Also if someone is going to
make one of these you must use a rectifier between the transformer and
the strobe to change the AC power to DC. You can get one for about a
buck at Radio Shack. Try ebay for the fire alarm strobe. Hope this helps
!!
Steve

Old 28-06-2003, 10:08 PM
K30a

Steve wrote connected a motion detector to a 24 volt fire alarm strobe light
using
a 24 volt transformer and set the motion detector on "TEST" so it will
work day or night.

I'll put it in the heron notes!
k30a

Rainy, grey, grey, sun, grey, rainy etc. Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 12 03-06-2008 07:52 PM
My favorite breakfast Doug Kanter Gardening 0 19-06-2005 02:20 PM
Breakfast Guess Barbara2245 Ponds 8 01-07-2003 09:25 PM
Grey Heron Question NTL News Ponds 8 22-04-2003 07:32 AM