Old 25-06-2003, 12:32 AM
K30a

Default Color me DISCOURAGED!

Denise wrote Oh for goodness sake! How many more fish will you allow to be
murdered?
Please stop buying fish if you can't protect them.

ROFL!
Well, please stop shooting raccoons through the neck with arrows if you can't
use one of the many devices available to stop them! They work. Honest to Pete,
you do take the cake!
Thanks for the laugh, lolololololol!!

k30a
Old 25-06-2003, 02:32 AM
~ Windsong ~

In the last chapter: John Rutz picked up the keyboard and pecked out:
:: John Rutz wrote:
::: shoulda added I have 5 snakes living in the TT's but they dont
::: eat fish so I leave em be sides they are kinda neat swimming
::: around in the pond
:: but I catch one with a fish in its mouth my old daisy gun comes out
====================
Before we netted the ponds we SAW snakes take fish! We saw frogs take them
too as well as the messy remains from a snapping turtle's dinner (on my
koi). Now only tiny snakes and little bitty frogs can get in the ponds.
They're too small to eat anything but some fry and I always have enough to
spare.
--
*.·´¨¨))
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))*

Old 25-06-2003, 02:44 AM
~ Windsong ~

In the last chapter: K30a picked up the keyboard and pecked out:
:: Carol wrote ===================
:: These are worthless.
::
:: You know Carol, these tips were all things that WORKED for
:: someone.

** But for how long? I remember posts by people who said they worked for a
short while, then the problems resumed.

Just because they don't, or didn't, work for you doesn't
:: really mean a heck of a lot. They just didn't work for you.

** Have any worked for anyone for more than a few weeks?

That's
:: fine. But at least let's give others a chance. Maybe it will work
:: for them.

** I just don't want them to get their hopes up and continue to lose fish
like I did. It's heartbreaking! If they're going to go through all that
bother they may as well net the pond already and know nothing will get their
fish. I still haven't been able to replace that beautiful yellow
translucent butterfly koi - the last to be eaten before we gave up and
bought the nets.

--
*.·´¨¨))
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))*

Old 25-06-2003, 04:20 AM
jammer

On 24 Jun 2003 13:48:59 GMT, ESPMER (K30a) wrote:

verbally
abuse the heron, make fun of the heron

LOL good grief! I should be so protected!!
Old 25-06-2003, 04:32 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Both of you are funny, and I especially like how you are able to exchange
your points of view in a friendly way! It will hurt me if two of my
favorite posters here were not being NICE!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 25-06-2003, 04:32 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Thanks Ingrid, I no longer have a Raccoon problem!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

wrote in message
try one of those ultrasonic machines. I know they are supposed to not

work, but my
inlaws are in the woods and have been using them to keep the vermin out of

the crawl
spaces under their house. they say it works. Ingrid

"Just Me \"Koi\"" wrote:

K30a, what do you find troubling about a lady taking out the pesky

raccoon?

In 1996, a family of raccoon trashed my house while I was living inside

it
mind you! $40,000 plus later, and no matter what I did to discourage

them,
they will not leave! Wildlife people will not help, gave me cages to

use!
But the darn coons are too smart for the cages!

Then my few months old daughter was getting sick, suspected that the

poops
for the coons were getting in the air condition ducts!

Anyway, that's my story.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 25-06-2003, 04:32 AM
Just Me \Koi\

What! I am an American and it's my God given right to make fun of Heron!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"K30a" wrote in messagesnip.

Attempting to shoot the heron, lasso the heron, skewer the heron, verbally
abuse the heron, make fun of the heron or ruffle the heron's feathers in

any
manner. Refer to the Migratory Bird Act - fines and jail stays cut in on

pond
dollars and pond time.
k30a

Old 25-06-2003, 04:44 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Very classy response Denise!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 25-06-2003, 05:20 AM
K30a

Carol wrote ** Have any worked for anyone for more than a few weeks?

We'll never know that will we?
I think some do, some don't and I'd
even bet that for some ponders out
there netting *didn't* work.
That is why a list of options are offered.

k30a
Old 25-06-2003, 08:20 AM
Theo van Daele

Saying that
webtv is very close to Jerry Springer, however, is quite the insult and
awfully rude of you...

OK, fair enough, bit of a cheap shot, apologies.

Some PC newsgroups are just as bad, if not worse, when it comes to
nastiness.

Well, I am 6 years ahead of you in seeing nastiness in newsgroups, bbs's
etc... :-) it's very easy to start fights and not so easy to keep it more
or less civil (been guilty there myself). I agree with many newsgroups
being quite nasty, and rec.ponds is (normally) an exception to that..

I have been enjoying this group and have learned lots of good info and I
hope I have offered some and helped others. I have received some very
nice emails from people here.

I don't doubt that for one minute, I'm just surprised about the "oh, if you
let your fish get killed, you're stupid, so shoot the bloody predators"
thing.

don't care to get into arguments over lifestyles, values, religion

(HATE holy rollers) sex, politics or anything else that is
controversial.

Wouldn't you agree shooting herons is also possibly a tad on the
controversial side ? Or that not shooting them doesn't automatically mean
you are not trying to take care of things ?

Ponding has enough controverse without digging into politics/religion etc...
think biospira, UV clarifiers, use of salt, antibiotics, fish per gallons,
dealing with herons (!). But because it is controversial, it doesn't mean
we need to stand in a corner and shout "I'm right, I'm right".

You can't please everyone, so you got to please
yourself :-)

Can't argue with that. Damn :-)

FWIW, when I rebuilt my pond, I tried to take herons into account in every
aspect I could. I also went against the "rule" that you should not plant
trees near a pond. I did (small trees), and in such a way, that a heron
would have serious difficulties of landing/escaping. They seem to have a
"flight route" and they also need open space to get away again. I then
built a wooden fence in the only area it could land. It seems to have
worked, I have watched 2 herons approaching my pond but then not finding a
good spot to start their breakfast, thus leaving in disgust. This may of
course not work/be possible for everyone, and yes, I do have to work a bit
harder in automn to get the leaves out.

Theo

Old 25-06-2003, 01:08 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

K30a wrote:
Carol wrote ** Have any worked for anyone for more than a few weeks?

We'll never know that will we?
I think some do, some don't and I'd
even bet that for some ponders out
there netting *didn't* work.
That is why a list of options are offered.

k30a

It didn't work for me with the green heron. It would
stab a fish through the net and then leave the fish to
die, because it couldn't get it out from under the net.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 17-07-2003, 12:57 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Deer have a 3 minute memory for motion. A goldfish has got to be even
better at forgetting!

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per jogger) at:
www.jogathon.net
See our pond at: http://www.home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-jameshurley
"~ Windsong ~" wrote in message
In the last chapter: K30a picked up the keyboard and pecked out:
:: - a brick flue at the bottom of the pond
:: to give the fish a place to hide
===================
These are worthless. The herons wait until the fish come back out, and

most
don't even use the flue to hide in. The bird freezes and the fish seem to
forget it's there. The heron then has a fine dinner on your best fish.
Before I bought the nets I watched how these birds do their fishing. I
would venture to guess anywhere you find herons you will also find
fish-eating frogs and snakes. None of the things you've mentioned will

keep
these predators away.
--
*.·´¨¨))
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))*

Old 17-07-2003, 01:54 AM
John Rutz

Phyllis and Jim Hurley wrote:
Deer have a 3 minute memory for motion. A goldfish has got to be even
better at forgetting!

I read somewhere sometime that Golfish have a 2 second memory span

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at: