Old 02-07-2003, 09:21 PM
Michael Grossman

Default ossprey got one of my koi

We came home and found one of our Koi missing the other day and the fish
were all spooked. The next afternoon we observed an ossprey fly into our
backyard and turn away at the last minute when he saw us. What can I do, if
anything, to keep him from coming back for another snack?

Mike

Old 02-07-2003, 09:32 PM
Sam Hopkins

shoot him.

news4HMa.87832$R73.10514@sccrnsc04...

Old 02-07-2003, 10:32 PM
Hank Pagel

I don't think they are listed endangered species anymore, but I am
sure that they are protected by law. Probably the best thing to do is
net the pond if possible. Their eyesight is most likely too good for
using fishing line over the pond.

Old 02-07-2003, 10:56 PM

net the pond, net the pond, net the pond, net the pond, net the pond, net the pond,

"Michael Grossman" wrote:

We came home and found one of our Koi missing the other day and the fish
were all spooked. The next afternoon we observed an ossprey fly into our
backyard and turn away at the last minute when he saw us. What can I do, if
anything, to keep him from coming back for another snack?

Mike

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:09 AM
K30a

Osprey are a protected bird of prey.
Call your fish and wildlife department
and ask their advice before doing anything.
Jail and fines cut into pond time.

k30a

Old 03-07-2003, 12:33 AM
Anne Lurie

Call up your local birdwatching group, sell tickets to "OspreyWatch" and buy
netting for pond with the proceeds; use the leftover money to buy champagne;
ply said birdwatchers with said champagne, then auction something -- by
that time, we'll buy anything you put in front of us!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 03-07-2003, 12:34 AM
Michael Grossman

Seems like the common answer is to net the pond. I guess it is going to be
the best thing to do, the tough part is how to deal with the plants.....I
have cattails and grasses growing 4' out of the water.

Old 03-07-2003, 12:44 AM
Bonnie Espenshade

Michael Grossman wrote:
Seems like the common answer is to net the pond. I guess it is going to be
the best thing to do, the tough part is how to deal with the plants.....I
have cattails and grasses growing 4' out of the water.
"Michael Grossman" wrote in message
news4HMa.87832$R73.10514@sccrnsc04...

We came home and found one of our Koi missing the other day and the fish
were all spooked. The next afternoon we observed an ossprey fly into our
backyard and turn away at the last minute when he saw us. What can I do,

if

anything, to keep him from coming back for another snack?

Mike

When I net my pond after the reeds have grown, I wrap the
netting around the reeds and anchor the net on either side
with rocks to keep it in place.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 03-07-2003, 01:33 AM
Sue Alexandre

Check out the past posts about "scarecrows". Some of us have these
motion-detector sprinklers to keep the heron away. It's a neat little
device, and might be worth trying if you're hesitant to net the pond.
Sue

Old 03-07-2003, 03:08 AM
JSin

Michael Grossman wrote:
Seems like the common answer is to net the pond. I guess it is going to be
the best thing to do, the tough part is how to deal with the plants.....I
have cattails and grasses growing 4' out of the water.

Unless I am mistaken Osprey hunt from above. You could suspend the net
on poles above the plant level till he finds a new hunting ground... I
don't think he is gonna walk under it or alter his dive around it.. Just
an Idea

--
JSin
Lost Generation Custom Tattoo

Old 03-07-2003, 05:44 AM
Just Me \Koi\

I netted my pond to keep the bloody crane out, then I nearly killed my fish
with the net.

Somehow one of my fish squeezed through the hole around the plants and
landed on top of the net! Got stuck there. Her fin is all frayed now and
her back is badly sun burnt! What a mess! Thanks to the crane, heron, red
tail hawk, osprey and all the other darn birds that are hell bent on feeding
on our fish!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"Michael Grossman" wrote:

We came home and found one of our Koi missing the other day and the fish
were all spooked. The next afternoon we observed an ossprey fly into our
backyard and turn away at the last minute when he saw us. What can I do,

if
anything, to keep him from coming back for another snack?

Mike

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 03-07-2003, 05:56 AM
Tom La Bron

Michael,

Know what you are going through. I lost one of my prized Ranchus to an
Osprey.

With most birds of prey that will take fish their technique is swoop, grab
and fly away. This is a good chance to add to your backyard landscape and
not deal with tacky netting over your pond. Build a Pergola or an Arbor
over the pond. This will hinder the swoop part of the technique, and you
can put fishing line between the cross beams hinder the perk, swoop
technique. Use climbing vines like morning glories, other climber to soften
the squared of pillars and crossbeams.

Tom L.L.

Old 03-07-2003, 07:32 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Check out the past posts about "scarecrows". Some of us have these
motion-detector sprinklers to keep the heron away. It's a neat little
device, and might be worth trying if you're hesitant to net the pond.
Sue

I agree, I'm using mine for robins, has to be turned all the way up, but
the groundcover is staying in the blocks where I planted it. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 03-07-2003, 08:08 AM

PVC pipe up... T connector with arms to the side. paint it green. size the vertical
so when stuck in the pot it is tall enough to hold the net up and over.
second idea. make veggie filter for veggies, get them out of the fish part of the
pond so net can be stretched tightly across the pond. Ingrid

"Michael Grossman" wrote:

Seems like the common answer is to net the pond. I guess it is going to be
the best thing to do, the tough part is how to deal with the plants.....I
have cattails and grasses growing 4' out of the water.
"Michael Grossman" wrote in message
news4HMa.87832$R73.10514@sccrnsc04...
We came home and found one of our Koi missing the other day and the fish
were all spooked. The next afternoon we observed an ossprey fly into our
backyard and turn away at the last minute when he saw us. What can I do,

if
anything, to keep him from coming back for another snack?

Mike

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List