Old 29-06-2003, 07:44 PM
Antonius

Default ProForm-C ( broad spectrum Disease Treatment)

Hello,

I would like to know if any one has used the (ProForm-C) formula for
Parasite control. The instructions require that a minimum 10% to 25%
pre-dosing water change be done after the initial treatment, (3
treatments required). It also requires that you do use a
non-sulfinate or sulfoxylate based water conditioner to remove
chlorine, chloramines. My question is what brand of chlorine remover
is Non-sulfinate?

I did a complete water change before the initial dosing of the pond,
then I used (AmQuel) instant water detoxifier and waited 24hrs, then
dosed with ProForm-C.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tony de Korte
Old 30-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Lee Brouillet

There have been several discussions regarding this matter on other forums I
haunt. The only water conditioner that is acceptable is sodium thiosulfate;
all the other water conditioners - like Amquel, etc. (the ammonia binders) -
will neutralize the ProForm-C. On one side, Amquel (etc.) are usually only
active in a pond for 3 days or so, at which time the buffers are exhausted.
On the other, if you only use sodium thio, you leave the ammonia portion of
your water change "unbound", so you better hope your filters will take up
the ammonia part of your chloramine water supply.

It was noted that ProForm-C states "Do not use with sulfinate- or
sulfoxylate- based water conditioners". The spec sheet for ChlorAm-X
(generic Amquel) at http://www.aquascienceresearch.com/...rAm-X%20PDS.PDF

says on Page 3: Compatibilities and Contraindications:

"Due to its ability to reduce certain dyes ClorAm-X® should not be used with
treatments containing malachite green or methylene blue or related dyes."

My question was, did it only neutralize the dye (so you couldn't tell if it
was there or not), or did it neutralize the medication itself. The answer
is: it neutralizes the medication, very similarly to PP.

I'm not a chemist and can't give you the specifics. The long and short of it
is: only sodium thiosulfate will allow ProForm-C to work without
neutralizing it. Otherwise, you should wait 3 days or more for the ammonia
binders to wear off.

Not much help, is it?

Lee

om...

Old 01-07-2003, 01:44 AM
Antonius

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message ...
[...]

Hello Lee,

Thanks so much for your reply. I went to the (PondRX) web site and
bought their declorinator. I know it does not take care of
(Chloramines), but I can't wait 3 days for the (Amquel) to dissipate.

Tony