Old 05-07-2003, 04:20 PM
GD

Default Turtle Questions

Shame on you.

Bob Adkins wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 10:27:26 -0400, "Sam Hopkins"
wrote:

Man I got turtles in my pond and I cant get rid of them. =)

Maybe I can shed some light on things. I own a large rec pond and the
turtles can always be seen swimming and looking at me from the opposite side
of the pond - a few hundred feet away.

Turtles seem to move from ponds they feel threatened in and ones where they
can't get as far away from danger (us) as they feel safe. So unless a turtle
can get a few hundred feet away from you they most likely wont stay.

In the deep south, red ear turtles are a pestilence. They quickly over
populate, and the only way I know to get relief is a .22 magnum rifle and a
scope. I like turtles, but enough is enough. Same thing with water snakes.
When you catch a fish, you often have 2 or 3 that follow your catch out of
the water. Since the lakes weren't mine, I could not kill them, but I sure
slung them so far out in the lake they didn't come back that day.

Bob

Turtle questions Glenn Lynn Ponds 2 20-01-2004 04:34 PM
Outdoor turtle habitat Dave Bell Ponds 3 01-04-2003 12:44 AM
behold the turtle K30a Ponds 0 11-03-2003 06:58 PM