Old 30-06-2003, 06:08 PM
April1201

Default Do people use UV lights?

My new pond will be about 560 gallons. I'm thinking of getting a UV light. Do
any of you use them or just use plants and shade? Will the UV kill the stuff
plants life off of?
Old 30-06-2003, 06:44 PM
joe

April1201 wrote:

My new pond will be about 560 gallons. I'm thinking of getting a UV light.
Do
any of you use them or just use plants and shade? Will the UV kill the stuff
plants life off of?

I installed one when my pond was new and have never had that evil pea soup
that others get. I would definitely get one.

Joe

Old 30-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Sam Hopkins

I have one on my aquarium and wouldnt be without one. If you plan not to
feed your fish then dont use one.

Old 30-06-2003, 07:56 PM
LRobi31070

I love my UV!
Old 30-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Pinkpggy

We have a uv light on our 270 gallon pond, and I would now hate to do without
it. Last year we had such a mess. I tried chemicals which was a mistake. We
bought the uv light at the end of the season last year and within just a few
days noticed a big difference. This year by starting out with it, we have had
no pea soup water at all. We still have alage but its not the kind that makes
pea soup water. Lots of plants help too, so have lots of them. You can see
our pond on our home page, its with my signature.
Jan
http://hometown.aol.com/pinkpggy/us.html

Old 30-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Sue Alexandre

I second that emotion. I went one year without a UV and spent most of my
(all too short) ponding season battling unclear water. Second season I
started off with a UV, and have clear water all the time. Wouldn't go
without one now, especially in Connecticut where we really don't have a long
enough ponding season to be patient.
Sue

Old 30-06-2003, 10:58 PM
volts500

"April1201" wrote in message
My new pond will be about 560 gallons. I'm thinking of getting a UV

light. Do
any of you use them or just use plants and shade? Will the UV kill the

stuff
plants life off of?

No, the UV kills the algae (and bacteria) by altering its' genetic structure
(DNA.)

Old 01-07-2003, 05:32 PM
rtk

I'm using UV for the first time and have found a really surprising and
desirable result. My allergy to pond water is gone! I'm still allergic
to all my aquariums and I'm thinking of some simple way to install them
on all the tanks.

Ruth Kazez

Old 04-07-2003, 07:20 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

No UVs here. I went the high plant load, low fish and small fish load way
from the beginning. Even this year, with the fish way too many and too big
(after 8 years) for the ponds and time to thin down the herd the ponds did
not turn pea soup green, just slightly tinted. I think part of the problem
was getting WHyacinths in a month later than normal.

I've since thinned the herd by 2, but didn't do it soon enough, now have 2
more in a sick tank. I'm going to try this Tricide-Neo stuff on them.

In my Lilypond, no UV and no human made filter, only a small fish spitter.
Again high plant load, low fish load. Actually I start out the spring with
no fish and wait for the tree frogs to do their thing. Once their young'uns
are big enough I bring out a few of my fantails and let them do their
thing. Full sun and no pea soup in it either. I do have algae on the sides,
and had a big crop of string algae, but one big harvest and that took care
of the worst of it once the lilies started putting pads on the surface.

So it can be done, no pea soup, without UV. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 04-07-2003, 02:20 PM
GrampysGurl

No UVs here. I went the high plant load, low fish and small fish load way
from the beginning. Even this year, with the fish way too many and too big
(after 8 years) for the ponds and

No UV here, plenty of plants, very minimal filtration (just for a small
waterfall) a low fish load, plenty of surface coverage (lilies)... I wouldn't
say my water is crystal clear at the moment but you can see clear to the
bottom... It will clear to gin clear shortly but I prefer a little murkiness...
it looks more natural.
Colleen
Zone 5 Connecticut

Old 04-07-2003, 03:56 PM
John Rutz

--
me also exept I had a very high fish load and it still clears when the
plants get going good now that I have a smaller fish load it clears

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 04-07-2003, 04:08 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

GrampysGurl wrote:

No UVs here. I went the high plant load, low fish and small fish load way

from the beginning. Even this year, with the fish way too many and too big

(after 8 years) for the ponds and

No UV here, plenty of plants, very minimal filtration (just for a small
waterfall) a low fish load, plenty of surface coverage (lilies)... I wouldn't
say my water is crystal clear at the moment but you can see clear to the
bottom... It will clear to gin clear shortly but I prefer a little murkiness...
it looks more natural.
Colleen
Zone 5 Connecticut

No UV here either. Veggie filter more fish than I should
(IMO) but lots of plants in goldfish pond and in veggie
filters - none in koi pond. Clear water usually except in
early spring.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 04-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Nedra

No UV here ... relatively high fish load. My plants have taken
on a new life and are growing in the fish pond. I'm using
Koi Clay and feed Doc Johnson's fish food... I can defintely
see a Big difference in my Koi.

Nedra