Old 02-07-2003, 10:25 AM
Registered User

Location: Hertfordshire, England
Default filtration for fry tank

Does anybody know of a simple homemade filtration system for a fry tank? I have to do it manually and very carefully and it is very time-consuming. I have been told of a piece of plasic pipe with small holes drilled into it with an air line pushed through the middle. Any one ever tried it?
Old 02-07-2003, 01:56 PM
Hank Pagel

A simple aquarium under-gravel filter will work fine. Supplies plenty
of aeration and no chance of fish being pulled into it. IMO (use some
form of media from main tank or pond to cycle filter)
Old 02-07-2003, 02:56 PM
Sam Hopkins

How big a tank? If its 50 gallons go to the pet store and buy a filter for
$20.00 and save yourself some time.
Old 02-07-2003, 05:32 PM
Paul Irwin

The idea filter for fry is a sponge filter. I make my own from a block of
foam, a piece of 6" square ceramic tile and a piece of 3/4" pvc pipe, but by
the time you assemble the pieces for 1 or 2 I doubt if it's cost effective.
You can get a number of them that work with an air pump for less than
$10.00. I would recommend the air pump over a power head because there is
less current for the fry to deal with.

On-line sources are many, here's two:
http://www.wetthumbaquatics.com/
http://www.thatpetplace.com/intro/main.html

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
.. .
How big a tank? If its 50 gallons go to the pet store and buy a filter

for
$20.00 and save yourself some time.

s.com...
--
elbow

Old 02-07-2003, 09:59 PM
RichToyBox

I use a filter called a Big Guy, which is a bucket with filter media pad
rolled up in it and a flat round filter media top cover. From this I have
the pump to one of the strawberry jars filled with lava rock as a trickle
tower filter. I don't know if it has eaten any of the fry, but as the fry
grow, some will get a little larger than the others, and then they just suck
up their siblings. Soon they are three times as big as some of the other
fry. The filter works well and keeps ammonia and nitrites at 0.
--
RichToyBox

s.com...