Old 02-07-2003, 07:23 PM
David Larson

Default How chlorine effects koi?

Hello all,

My local water board informs me that the water out of my tap has 4 ppm of chlorine. I know this is
way too high, and it will be treated accordingly to make it safe.

My question is this - what exactly does chlorine do to koi? Yes, I know it kills them... but I want
to know what takes place inside the fish, chemically, that causes them to die?

- David

Old 02-07-2003, 07:44 PM
K30a

Chlorine attacks the gills and can lead to death through oxygen starvation.
Chlorine can prove fatal at levels as low as 0.1 mg/l.
This looks like a good page here for that kind of information:
http://www.notcatfish.com/health/environment.htm

k30a
Old 02-07-2003, 09:08 PM
JSin

David Larson wrote:
Hello all,

My local water board informs me that the water out of my tap has 4 ppm of chlorine. I know this is
way too high, and it will be treated accordingly to make it safe.

My question is this - what exactly does chlorine do to koi? Yes, I know it kills them... but I want
to know what takes place inside the fish, chemically, that causes them to die?

The bigger issue aside from the possible toxicity to the fish is the
loss of your Biological filter. Chlorine is is used to kill bacteria.
Guess what is dealing with the waste products.

The amonia spike will do them in just as surely as the 4 ppm remeber
you are diluting that unless you are doing a total water change. So I
really don't think you are even going to hit that 1ppm level. But lower
doses will harm your bio filter.

--
JSin
Lost Generation Custom Tattoo

Old 02-07-2003, 10:56 PM

rips up their gills so they suffocate. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 02-07-2003, 11:24 PM
Sam Hopkins

Chlorine in water reacts with living tissues and organic matter causing cell
death (acute necrosis) in fish. Since fish gills are sensitive and exposed
directly to the aquatic environment, the death of cells in the gills - the
fish's breathing apparatus - can lead to respiratory difficulty and
asphyxiation.

Old 03-07-2003, 05:44 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Pretty graphic Ingrid!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

wrote in message
rips up their gills so they suffocate. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 03-07-2003, 07:44 PM
David Larson

am Hopkins wrote:

Chlorine in water reacts with living tissues and organic matter causing cell
death (acute necrosis) in fish. Since fish gills are sensitive and exposed
directly to the aquatic environment, the death of cells in the gills - the
fish's breathing apparatus - can lead to respiratory difficulty and
asphyxiation.

Thanks all for your replies. I'm now even more motivated to rid my tap water of chlorine down to
0.00000001 ppm. (grin!)

- David

Old 04-07-2003, 11:20 PM
Moontanman

Thanks all for your replies. I'm now even more motivated to rid my tap water
of chlorine down to
0.00000001 ppm. (grin!)

The clorine in tap water wouldn't have such a graphic effect. Water changes of
10% pr so pose no threat to your fish and letting tap water sit for 24 hours
removes the clorine. Now adding lots of clorine as in clorox can and will
sterilize your pond completly, plants and all!

Moon
remove nospam from e-mail to send to me, I grow trees in aquariums like bonsai.
I breed dwarf crayfish, great for planted community tanks. If you can get me a
shovelnose sturgeon fingerling (Scaphirhynchus platorynchus) no wild caught
please, contact me