Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-07-2003, 07:56 AM
TomNavyRet

Default Yuck - smelly plants

Hi All: Fairly new to ponding. My son-in-law and I put in a small 65 gal pond
just off the patio last summer. This summer I finally got the rockwork to put
around it and planted around the rockwork. Looks good if I do say so myself
G.
However, My water is a slight greenish color, has an almost oily feel to it,
and when I went to divide my pigmy water lily the dirt smelled like an old
soured swamp or something. Pond has the lily, a "flowering rush", two water
hyacinth, 3 water lettuce and a small "sweet flag". For critters I have a 3in
shubunkin, a 3inch goldfish and 3 small 1in. goldfish. Filter is an "in-pond"
box filter (good size) feeding a japanese bambo water spout. Last year I just
through in a bunch of water hyacinth (which multiply like rabbits) and the same
fish (somewhat smaller) and the water stayed pretty clear. I didn't pull up any
of the other plants so don't know if the soil was "soured" then or not. Is this
"swamp smell" normal for the plant dirt or is there a problem with my pond?
Fish seem happy and I only feed them once a day (what they will eat in about
3-5 minutes).
Any help/comments/advice greatly appreciated

Tom B.
"Born To Fish - Forced To Work!!!"

Corn Yuck Mike Edible Gardening 1 04-08-2007 07:54 PM
yuck eeyore Orchids 7 18-06-2007 02:28 AM
Creeping yellow yuck! What is it? ZeroWing North Carolina 4 15-06-2005 11:39 PM
Repeated infestations. Yuck. nblomgren Gardening 0 05-08-2003 11:02 PM
smelly plants Stephanie Franklin Australia 12 21-05-2003 09:08 AM