Old 03-07-2003, 08:16 PM
Chad

Default mosquito fish are like rabbits!

Although I am aware that mosquito fish breed like crazy I stopped by
the pet store today at lunch and picked up 4 mosquito fish to help get
the larvae off my lilly pads. I ended up with 3 females and 1 one
male. I brought them inside since it is 98 degrees outside and I
don't want boiled fish. So anyway.... I am sitting here at my desk
with the bag-o-fish next to me when I look over and see two newborns
race like h e double toothpicks across the bag... well the other fish
took care of this as they promptly ate them....

As I wrote this note I witnessed another one get born. They come out
a bit bigger than I would have expected. For now... 2 minutes or
so... the others are leaving it alone. Wish I had my camera...
Old 04-07-2003, 03:08 AM
Chad

End of the day update... while in the bag there were about 20 babies
born this afternoon. By the time I picked up the kids and got home 2
had made it. My kids got a great kick out of them. I guess I will
see what happens... if I have a population explosion I will just hope
for an extra cold winter
Old 07-07-2003, 08:19 PM
BenignVanilla

"Chad" wrote in message
om...
Although I am aware that mosquito fish breed like crazy I stopped by
the pet store today at lunch and picked up 4 mosquito fish to help get
the larvae off my lilly pads. I ended up with 3 females and 1 one
male. I brought them inside since it is 98 degrees outside and I
don't want boiled fish. So anyway.... I am sitting here at my desk
with the bag-o-fish next to me when I look over and see two newborns
race like h e double toothpicks across the bag... well the other fish
took care of this as they promptly ate them....

As I wrote this note I witnessed another one get born. They come out
a bit bigger than I would have expected. For now... 2 minutes or
so... the others are leaving it alone. Wish I had my camera...

Just curious is there a breed called Mosquito fish or are we talking the
typical Rosie Red Minnows here?

BV.

Old 07-07-2003, 08:40 PM
joe

BenignVanilla wrote:

Just curious is there a breed called Mosquito fish or are we talking the
typical Rosie Red Minnows here?

Not rosie reds but gambusia

Old 07-07-2003, 09:03 PM
joe

Old 07-07-2003, 09:08 PM
Wendy Kelly Budd

Or, as they are lovingly referred to, Damnbusia.
--
Wendy* in N. California,
"Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be

Old 08-07-2003, 01:56 AM
Chad

I bought Gambusia affinis. There are many other fish that are
classified as mosquito fish. Here is a good reference if you want to
know more... like one female can have 400 births in a season...

http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/mosq.htm
Old 08-07-2003, 03:57 PM
BenignVanilla

"Chad" wrote in message
om...
I bought Gambusia affinis. There are many other fish that are
classified as mosquito fish. Here is a good reference if you want to
know more... like one female can have 400 births in a season...

http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/mosq.htm

Well...I have a million Daminnows. As soon as they are catchable, I plan to
move them to my aquarium for the tinfoils.

BV.

Best Mosquito and Bug Killer? Mosquito Magnet? Spray? Net? [email protected] Gardening 5 28-05-2008 07:24 AM
Rabbits, rabbits everywhere wind'n'stone United Kingdom 4 22-05-2008 08:15 PM
But I LIKE the rabbits! jojo Texas 0 13-10-2004 04:26 PM
My goldfish are breeding like rabbits. Steve Shapson Ponds 3 03-06-2004 05:05 PM
Mosquito Deleto vs. Mosquito Magnet MarkG Gardening 1 10-06-2003 10:20 AM