Old 09-07-2003, 02:56 AM
Scott Teetsel

Default Water hyacinth and water lily questions

I have 2 water hyacinths I bought at a local nursery about a month ago or
so. They have grown and are "branching" out into smaller plants, however,
they do not seem to want to break away. Will they or should they? Should I
cut them apart?

I also have some water lilies I just planted. They are growing new leaves,
but only one is green. The rest are more of a brownish/red. Is this
normal? I haven't put any fertilizer in them yet, was going to do so this
week.

Thanks!
Scott

Old 09-07-2003, 02:56 AM
jammer

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 01:48:06 GMT, "Scott Teetsel"
wrote:

I have 2 water hyacinths I bought at a local nursery about a month ago or
so. They have grown and are "branching" out into smaller plants, however,
they do not seem to want to break away. Will they or should they? Should I
cut them apart?

I also have some water lilies I just planted. They are growing new leaves,
but only one is green. The rest are more of a brownish/red. Is this
normal? I haven't put any fertilizer in them yet, was going to do so this
week.

Thanks!
Scott

I am curious about the first question, but would have to say it
probably doesn't matter. The leaves on the lillies start out
red/brown/greenish and then turn green at the surface. (mine do)

Old 09-07-2003, 03:57 AM
Bob H

I just snap my water Hyacinth apart, the connecting stems are brittle, I
also break away the extra stem and check for bad (brown) leaf stems.
As for the red leaves, I think some species do look brownish/red.

Old 09-07-2003, 03:57 AM
Gale Pearce

I always "cut" the babies "loose" from the "mother plant" and they continue
to multiply and send out "babies" of their own on both water hyacinths and
water lettuce
Gale :~)

Old 09-07-2003, 04:56 AM
Benign Vanilla

"Scott Teetsel" wrote in message
I have 2 water hyacinths I bought at a local nursery about a month ago or
so. They have grown and are "branching" out into smaller plants, however,
they do not seem to want to break away. Will they or should they? Should

cut them apart?

I did with mine. At first it was an accident when I was showing the root
system to a friend. After that, I now check for a good root system and then
break off the child plant.

I also have some water lilies I just planted. They are growing new

leaves,
but only one is green. The rest are more of a brownish/red. Is this
normal? I haven't put any fertilizer in them yet, was going to do so this
week.

My smaller white lily does the same thing. It had brownish/red leaves and
was slow to get going. It growing like gang busters now, with two buds.

BV.

Old 09-07-2003, 01:20 PM
Jerrispond

Why do all of you break apart the WH.? I kind of like them together, like
nature intended. I don't have the luxury of breaking them apart in big
ponds...that is all I would be doing all day ) Jerri

Old 09-07-2003, 03:32 PM
Bob H

I just like the ever changing shapes they make on the pond, the individual
plants move about more. IMHO.

Old 09-07-2003, 11:10 PM
Anne Lurie

Jerri,

The only time I managed to have Water Hyacinth in my teeny water garden --
before my Chessie/Lab gal Contessa selected it for dog toy-of-the-month,
sigh..... -- I broke mine apart thinking that the pieces would grow &
spread faster than the original plant. (I'm new to ponds & pond plants, but
it's a time-honored concept for many, many garden plants to "Divide and
Conquer"!)

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 10-07-2003, 01:11 AM
Scott Teetsel

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions!

I cut them apart and now I have all these little plants!

Old 11-07-2003, 06:10 PM
LRobi31070

I leave mine together because they seem to bunch and bloom better. They like to
be really crowded. They also seem to get a lot taller that way. But it is to
each his own!!

Old 11-07-2003, 06:10 PM
LRobi31070

Old 11-07-2003, 06:10 PM
K30a

Rec.ponds has a theory that water hyacinths won't bloom until they feel they
are in danger. Crowding and shallow water seem to bring out the 'save the
species' behavior.

k30a

Old 14-07-2003, 03:12 AM
Ted

I agree, the only time I break them apart is to throw them away because I
have to many. I had 50 odd blooms at one time lat year. They do like
shallow water and crowded areas!

Lisa
http://community.webshots.com/user/ldziedzic2001