Old 11-07-2003, 11:47 PM
bobkiely

Default Muffin's Lillies

As I thought, today my lily leaves are more green than brown...I suspect
they will be 100% green by Sunday.
BK
"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
Like Joe said, they're brownish red but today I noticed a tinge of green

so
I'm sure they'll be green in no time.
BK

It may be temperature dependent. Like how new rose leaves look in spring,
reddish, is temperature dependent, once it warms up they're green. What is
your water temp, BK? ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 12-07-2003, 01:32 AM
Sue Walsh

I must admit when it arrived I didn't know how to plant it either, so
I took it over to the local pond place and they potted it up for me.
She used a regular black plastic gardening type 5 gallon pot, which
she said really only holds 3 1/2 - 4 gallons. First she put 4 layers
of newspaper over the bottom holes so the dirt would not leak out (she
said by the time the newspaper breaks down the roots would have matted
enough to keep the soil in place. Then she filled the pot 1/3 full
with a half topsoil and half sand mixture. She added 3 giant pond
tabs (21 grams each of 20-10-5 fertilizer) to this bottom layer of the
potting mix at the very edges of the pot. Then she put more mix in to
bring it up to 2/3 full. She then gently and lightly moistened the
mixture in the pot and allowed it to drain while she prepared the
plant. She cut the roots to a size(about 5"-6" long) to fit easily
into this pot. Once she washed all the remaining roots very well and
removed any damaged top leaves and buds (3 small buds were left on as
well as some newly forming leaves which had not opened yet, also old
cut stems which she said would help to feed the plant until new leaves
are formed, then they could be trimmed off), she dug a depression and
planted it on a 45* angle leaving the top of the root exposed. Then
she added 1" of white sand to the top surface to keep the soil in the
pot, still keeping the very top of the root exposed. Finally she very
lightly misted the top. Covered the plant with damp newspaper for me
to carry home. When I got it home I added two pieces criscross of #14
solid copper plastic insulated wire through 4 holes I poked into the
four sides of the top of the container (criscrossed at right
angles)for a balanced handle and lowered it into my pond. Now I just
wait to see what comes. The one large flower bud which she removed
was opened on my kitchen table the next day so I got to see that it is
a beautiful pink flower. Thanks Muffin....Sue W

"*muffin*" wrote in message ...
some roots were 3 feet long....
I couldn't figure out how to re-plant those in a pot less than 1/2
that deep!
Old 12-07-2003, 04:20 AM
*muffin*

"Sue Walsh" wrote in message
om...
I must admit when it arrived I didn't know how to plant it either, so
I took it over to the local pond place and they potted it up for me.

wow,, how nice!
they didn't give you a dirty look & ask why you just don't BUY a plant from
them???

(any chance they knew the name of the lily........ I have long forgotten)

Old 12-07-2003, 04:56 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Wow! Your pond person did it up royal for you!

Our lillies are just put into a bed of 1-2" rocks. They seem to grab
nutrients from the water just fine! No dirt, no mess.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per jogger) at:
www.jogathon.net
See our pond at: http://www.home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-jameshurley
om...

Old 14-07-2003, 04:23 AM
Sue Walsh

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in message ...
Wow! Your pond person did it up royal for you!

Actually this is how they pot all of their lilies.

Our lillies are just put into a bed of 1-2" rocks. They seem to grab
nutrients from the water just fine! No dirt, no mess.

Jim

My daughter up in NY just bands a heavy rock to her lily roots and
tosses them gently into her pond (her pond is not lined with rocks or
pebbles). She says she doesn't pot or fertilize any of them and they
do just fine and are flowering well. I may just try one like that
myself to see how it compares to the potted ones. I know this has
been done by others on this site with various results, so I guess each
pond is different.

Sue W

Old 14-07-2003, 04:33 AM
Sue Walsh

No dirty looks and she was very helpful in explaining why she potted
them the way she did. But, Sorry Muffin I asked her but she didn't
know the name of that one, she was however impressed with the size of
it and the look of the flower.

Sue

Muffin's Lillies bobkiely Ponds 0 10-07-2003 06:23 PM
[Ping] Muffin - My Lilies are here joe Ponds 2 30-06-2003 05:56 AM
One more for the muffin chorus Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 1 30-06-2003 05:56 AM
Muffin - plant arrived! Lori Ponds 1 26-06-2003 12:44 PM
Muffin needs mittens! tinydancer Roses 0 20-04-2003 07:20 PM