Old 11-07-2003, 02:56 AM
JoeT

Default Catchin Comets?

OK gang! I have approx 35 comets ( and counting ) and 8 Koi in my pond. (
9x10 by 2.5 to 3ft depth) I want the 8 Koi in my pond. The comets range in
size from I'm so new ya can't see me yet to about 6 inches in length and
need to be moved elsewhere.... So far we have managed to catch a half dozen
and give them away and about 5 others have been moved to a 100 gallon
preformed I put in. The rest will go to new homes, if and when I can catch
them!

Chasing them with large nets is proving a rather daunting task. Any ideas
for smarter kinder gentler means of gathering the little charmers? grin

btw I'm not new, used to frequent this group a great deal in about 97 98...
just haven't had the online time as much the past few years!

-joe

Old 11-07-2003, 03:44 AM
Hal

Drop the water level until you can catch them.

Regards,

Hal

Old 11-07-2003, 07:09 PM
Heather

My GF expect to be fed in the same spot every day. I suspect if I just set
the net in the water at the feeding area, and left it a while, then
continued to feed that it would be possible to net a few this way. Anyone
tried this?

Old 11-07-2003, 09:56 PM
bobkiely

When I was looking to thin out my mosquito fish population, someone here
(thank you, BTW) told me to fabricate a fish trap by cutting off the top
(where the cap screws on) of a 2 liter plastic bottle, poke a few holes in
the bottom to allow water to flow through, and tie a string on the bottle to
retrieve it.

You then turn the top part of the bottle into the body of itself forming an
inlet funnel. The fish eagerly swim in to get the food you put in it but
have difficulty finding their way out. It worked great. Within 2-3 minutes I
had collected about 30 mosquito fish.

The point here (finally :-)) is that when the mosquito fish were going into
the bottle, my goldfish tried too! The opening wasn't big enough for them
however so they couldn't get in. I would be surprised if your goldfish are
any smarter than mine and may also try....the key is to make the hole big
enough for them to pass through. Give it a try! It's a lot more fun than
trying to get those little food pellets to stay on a hook! :-)
BK

(

Old 12-07-2003, 12:47 AM
Kevin Carbis

"Heather" wrote in message .. .
My GF expect to be fed in the same spot every day. I suspect if I just set
the net in the water at the feeding area, and left it a while, then
continued to feed that it would be possible to net a few this way. Anyone
tried this?

Yep, in a previous pond and it worked quite well. But the drawback
was it freaked out my Koi. Up until that time they would eat out of
my hand. They haven't since. They are just now starting to warm up to
me but its been two years and I had to build them a 5,000 gallon pond
to prove my loyalty.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:01 AM
joe

Kevin Carbis wrote:

They are just now starting to warm up to
me but its been two years and I had to build them a 5,000 gallon pond
to prove my loyalty.

Yeah, I'll bet they had too really twist your arm too!

Joe

Old 12-07-2003, 03:20 AM
Jerrispond

I have approx 35 comets ( and counting ) and 8 Koi in my pond. (9x10 by 2.5
to 3ft depth) I want the 8 Koi in my pond.

You need to get rid of the koi and keep the comets in a small pond Jerri

Old 12-07-2003, 04:20 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I have approx 35 comets ( and counting ) and 8 Koi in my pond. (9x10 by 2.5
to 3ft depth) I want the 8 Koi in my pond.

You need to get rid of the koi and keep the comets in a small pond Jerri

Hmmm, I don't see why, by my calculation they've got over 1600 gallons, 8
koi should do fine with the proper filtration, imo. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Comets outgrew pond? animaux Ponds 2 02-11-2003 01:34 AM
Comets outgrew pond? animaux Ponds 4 02-11-2003 01:33 AM
comets dying?? old dirtbeard Ponds 4 19-08-2003 06:02 PM
on "placing" nice pond comets ann in houston Ponds 2 28-07-2003 07:35 PM
Sick Comets J. Lamont Ponds 5 10-07-2003 09:47 PM