Old 14-07-2003, 12:32 AM
Megan Wilson

Default annother newbie ? liners, Polyethylene vs EPDM

I've been checking out prices for liners (mainly online) and i've noticed
that the polyethylene are usally about half the price of the EPDM, which
means i could build a pond about twice as big... the warranties on both are
for 20 years, but it seems like people usually buy the EPDM. Has anyone out
there had experience with the polyethylene liners, or know of any major cons
to it? obviously i'd like to build the biggest pond i can without having to
spend more money, but i also don't want to have to replace the liner later
on. any ideas? thanks!

Megan

Old 14-07-2003, 02:14 AM
John Rutz

Megan Wilson wrote:
I've been checking out prices for liners (mainly online) and i've noticed
that the polyethylene are usally about half the price of the EPDM, which
means i could build a pond about twice as big... the warranties on both are
for 20 years, but it seems like people usually buy the EPDM. Has anyone out
there had experience with the polyethylene liners, or know of any major cons
to it? obviously i'd like to build the biggest pond i can without having to
spend more money, but i also don't want to have to replace the liner later
on. any ideas? thanks!

Megan

Just my opinion

I did a polyethylne when i firs started had all kinds of leak problems
then went to EPDM now using Permalon from Ken at kenco I feel its
stronger than EPDM I used it as liner in my old log filters and abused
the heck out of it I had six in of straw under the liner and the liner
was streched tight and nailed in place i stood in the filter (full of
water ) without pulling the nail holes loose

http://www.kencofish.com

--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 14-07-2003, 02:32 AM
Iain Miller

"Megan Wilson" wrote in message
I've been checking out prices for liners (mainly online) and i've noticed
that the polyethylene are usally about half the price of the EPDM, which
means i could build a pond about twice as big... the warranties on both

are
for 20 years, but it seems like people usually buy the EPDM. Has anyone

out
there had experience with the polyethylene liners, or know of any major

cons
to it? obviously i'd like to build the biggest pond i can without having

spend more money, but i also don't want to have to replace the liner later
on. any ideas? thanks!

I am in the process of planning my first pond - as far as I can see the cost
of the liner is fairly inconsequential when compared against the cost of
pumps, filters, plants, rocks, landscaping, livestock etc etc....If you
build a bigger pond then you need more of (or larger sizes of) everything so
the additional cost of the liner is not the problem at all! Other than that
I'd buy the best liner you possibly can - its the one thing that will be the
biggest pain in the butt to change.

I.

Old 14-07-2003, 06:08 AM
Wilson

"Megan Wilson" wrote in message
I've been checking out prices for liners (mainly online) and i've noticed
that the polyethylene are usally about half the price of the EPDM, which
means i could build a pond about twice as big... the warranties on both

are
for 20 years, but it seems like people usually buy the EPDM. Has anyone

out
there had experience with the polyethylene liners, or know of any major

cons
to it? obviously i'd like to build the biggest pond i can without having

spend more money, but i also don't want to have to replace the liner later
on. any ideas? thanks!

Megan

I bought mine (EPDM) from justliners.com and couldn't be happier....quality
product and cheapest place by far, even cheaper that purchasing it locally.

~Wilson~

Old 14-07-2003, 09:02 PM
Barbara2245

"Wilson" wrote in message ...
"Megan Wilson" wrote in message
I've been checking out prices for liners (mainly online) and i've noticed
that the polyethylene are usally about half the price of the EPDM, which
means i could build a pond about twice as big... the warranties on both

are
for 20 years, but it seems like people usually buy the EPDM. Has anyone

out
there had experience with the polyethylene liners, or know of any major

cons
to it? obviously i'd like to build the biggest pond i can without having

spend more money, but i also don't want to have to replace the liner later
on. any ideas? thanks!

Megan

Do not go with PVC because it lasted four years for me. I decided to
enlarge the pond and as I took out the PVC liner I saw cracks all
around the top where the sun had hit it. My new liner was pond grade
45 ml EPDM from Water Garden Creations at a very good price and
delivered to the door. Permalon is much lighter but I have not used
it. Good luck.