Old 14-07-2003, 06:48 PM
Bob

Default Draining pond

Due to the heavy rains and the flooding we got from tropical
depression Biil ......I have to drain and refasten the bottom drain
...........ugh...what a bummer.......I bought 10 foot kiddie pool to
put the fish in ....... I think it's about 250 gal............ I have
8 18" koi and 6 small 5" koi does any one know how long I can keep
them in there as it will probably take the better part of two days
before I get the pond ready for them again

thank in advance
Bob
Old 14-07-2003, 06:48 PM
BenignVanilla

Bob wrote in message ...
Due to the heavy rains and the flooding we got from tropical
depression Biil ......I have to drain and refasten the bottom drain
..........ugh...what a bummer.......I bought 10 foot kiddie pool to
put the fish in ....... I think it's about 250 gal............ I have
8 18" koi and 6 small 5" koi does any one know how long I can keep
them in there as it will probably take the better part of two days
before I get the pond ready for them again

Can you leave water in the pond, and work on the drain under water? I am
being serious. I never put my diffuser on my BD, and have to do it. I plant
to don a mask and hop in to do the work.

BV.

Old 14-07-2003, 08:52 PM
Lee Brouillet

Is it possible to run the water from the kiddie pool through your filter?
That will extend the time you can keep them in the temp. quarters (with the
estabished filter). I would also add aeration and a NET! They *will* jump.
Try to find some way to run your filter on the temp pond; it's the easiest
way. Otherwise, you're in for a world of hurt trying to keep the ammonia and
nitrItes in check.

Good luck, and work as fast as you can.

Lee

Old 14-07-2003, 10:02 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Bob wrote in message ...

Due to the heavy rains and the flooding we got from tropical
depression Biil ......I have to drain and refasten the bottom drain
..........ugh...what a bummer.......I bought 10 foot kiddie pool to
put the fish in ....... I think it's about 250 gal............ I have
8 18" koi and 6 small 5" koi does any one know how long I can keep
them in there as it will probably take the better part of two days
before I get the pond ready for them again

thank in advance
Bob

I had a set up trickle tower in the pond so that when I
moved the fish to the kiddie pool (1000 gallons) I also
moved the trickle tower over. It worked quite well in the
kiddie pool for 2 months.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 14-07-2003, 10:53 PM
Hal

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 12:46:15 -0400, "BenignVanilla"
wrote:

Can you leave water in the pond, and work on the drain under water? I am
being serious. I never put my diffuser on my BD, and have to do it. I plant
to don a mask and hop in to do the work.

Yes. My bottom drain clogged when I killed the string algae and my
pond at that point is just a bit deeper than my arm is long. Wasn't
much work to removing the bottom drain dome and flush the line with a
water hose, but staying on the bottom was a chore, until I hung some
weights around my neck and that made the task a lot easier.

Regards,

Hal

Old 14-07-2003, 11:43 PM
Bob

Thanks that was what I was worried about I thought they could go with
=out food for 3 days as that is how long I plan on taking yo fix my
problem..................................the other alternative I
thought was to put them in the hot tub (with heat turned off) as I
could aerate it and just clean up after I took them out

Bob wrote in message ...
Due to the heavy rains and the flooding we got from tropical
depression Biil ......I have to drain and refasten the bottom drain
..........ugh...what a bummer.......I bought 10 foot kiddie pool to
put the fish in ....... I think it's about 250 gal............ I have
8 18" koi and 6 small 5" koi does any one know how long I can keep
them in there as it will probably take the better part of two days
before I get the pond ready for them again

thank in advance
Bob

Bob & susie

You can see our pond at
www.gulftel.com/seadogs
Old 14-07-2003, 11:44 PM
Bob

wrote:

Bob wrote in message ...
Due to the heavy rains and the flooding we got from tropical
depression Biil ......I have to drain and refasten the bottom drain
..........ugh...what a bummer.......I bought 10 foot kiddie pool to
put the fish in ....... I think it's about 250 gal............ I have
8 18" koi and 6 small 5" koi does any one know how long I can keep
them in there as it will probably take the better part of two days
before I get the pond ready for them again

Can you leave water in the pond, and work on the drain under water? I am
being serious. I never put my diffuser on my BD, and have to do it. I plant
to don a mask and hop in to do the work.

BV.

No I wish I could but the fitting under the liner is the one that need
to be fixed. the line from the drain to the skimmer came loose that
rungs under the liner
Bob & susie

You can see our pond at
www.gulftel.com/seadogs
Old 14-07-2003, 11:54 PM
Bob

Bob wrote in message ...

Due to the heavy rains and the flooding we got from tropical
depression Biil ......I have to drain and refasten the bottom drain
..........ugh...what a bummer.......I bought 10 foot kiddie pool to
put the fish in ....... I think it's about 250 gal............ I have
8 18" koi and 6 small 5" koi does any one know how long I can keep
them in there as it will probably take the better part of two days
before I get the pond ready for them again

thank in advance
Bob

I had a set up trickle tower in the pond so that when I
moved the fish to the kiddie pool (1000 gallons) I also
moved the trickle tower over. It worked quite well in the
kiddie pool for 2 months.

Thanks Bonnie I may try that

look like the rains have started again from the deprection of Mexico I
am in Gulf Shores AL......... here will have to wait till the water
table goes down another 12" before I can drain
Bob & susie

You can see our pond at
www.gulftel.com/seadogs
Old 14-07-2003, 11:54 PM
RichToyBox

Two days may not be long enough for the bacteria to raise the nitrites, but
the ammonia will definitely be high. Use a large dose of
Amquel to detox the ammonia and they should be fine for a couple days. I
agree that if you can, use the filter to the temporary quarters, but if you
can't, then detox.
--
RichToyBox

Old 15-07-2003, 12:51 AM
Bob

Rich............... Shouldn't they be able to go without food for a
few days that should help to keep the ammonia down some.............I
think I read someplace that they pass food in 30 min. after they
eat............didn't plan on feeding them while they were out.

Bob

Old 15-07-2003, 12:51 AM
RichToyBox

Bob,

Yes. If possible, do not feed for several days before moving them to the
kiddy pool. For shows, they recommend not feeding for up to a week before
the show to keep them from fouling the tank. But they also monitor the
ammonia almost hourly, and add Amquel with almost every test.
--
RichToyBox

Old 15-07-2003, 05:22 PM
K30a

Hal wrote but staying on the bottom was a chore, until I hung some
weights around my neck and that made the task a lot easier.

Good gracious!
I think you deserve The Porg Medal of Extraordinary Resourcefulness Without
Loss of Life or Body Parts!

k30a
Old 15-07-2003, 06:05 PM

what do you use to keep the water clean in the hot tub??? I wouldnt use it. use the
kiddy pool and be sure to have a tight net over it to keep em in and predators out.
Ingrid

Bob wrote:
Thanks that was what I was worried about I thought they could go with
=out food for 3 days as that is how long I plan on taking yo fix my
problem..................................the other alternative I
thought was to put them in the hot tub (with heat turned off) as I
could aerate it and just clean up after I took them out

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

draining a 1 acre pond Phisherman Ponds 12 10-08-2004 02:38 PM
Draining Your Pond Brett Fogle Ponds (alternative) 0 10-08-2003 05:42 PM
Draining pond Bob Ponds 1 14-07-2003 06:42 PM
Pond keeps draining! D. Mahon Ponds 7 13-05-2003 03:44 PM
Draining my garden pond Brenda Gardening 6 29-03-2003 03:32 PM