Old 15-07-2003, 02:02 AM
RichToyBox

Default Sick Koi, please help

Your description of the one fish that you moved to quarantine is pretty
vague. Are there any other signs of problems?

As for the other fish, I would suspect the ammonia did cause some burn and
the fish are hanging out in the most oxygenated water in the pond. On this
side of the big pond, there is a product called Amquel that binds the
ammonia. I don't know if you have that product, but there should be
something similar. Use some salt to 0.1% for the nitrites. If the ammonia
and nitrite levels come down, the fish will heal.
--
RichToyBox

"IceEros" wrote in message
s.com...
I have a Koi that has developed something very strange and
(unfortunately) new to me.
I have noticed that for the last couple of days he was acting strange
sitting very close to the the edge of the pond between 2 marginal
plants and was not moving at all.
I had a close look and I couldnt see anything unusual ( then again lots
of Koi problems cannot possibly be noticed with a free eye).
For the next couple of days after that he acted and ate as normal until
today when I noticed him again in the same place.
I had another close look and I got very upset as the fish has developed
something over his eyes that it makes his eyes look like they are
glazed. (white glaze).
I stuck my finger inside the water next to him and he didnt make a move
which makes me believe that his eyes are very much affected. I just
hope that the problem didnt blind him nor that may do in future.
I just put him into a quarantine tank which i have for fish with
problems with a mature filter and lots of air. The problem is that I do
not know exactly what seems to be the problem so I just added to the
water a 0.3% salt and nothing else.
Has anyone any idea what is may be and what treatment I can use.
For the last couple of days has been very hot in British terms and my
pond has shown an increase in ammonia and nitrite levels.
I have alredy taken steps to remedy the problem yet I have noticed
couple of fish hanging around the waterfall more than usual which a
know is a sign of ammonia burn. I hope is not the same for the fish in
question. If anyone has any idea what it might be and what treatment to
apply PLEASE HELP.
--
IceEros

Old 15-07-2003, 06:18 PM

that is a thick slime coat due to toxic water. as long as he is inside, do the
physical
http://users.megapathdsl.net/~solo/p...ue.html#Jo_Ann's_Fish_Physical
and if the gills are bright cherry red, do a salt dip. look under treatment at the
bottom http://users.megapathdsl.net/~solo/p...se/disease.htm
put him back into the pond then and your fish need the water changed. start with 50%
water changes and add salt to 0.25 lbs per 100 gallons. adding a lot of salt all at
once will make the koi blow off a lot of ammonia, not something you want to do right
now. the fish may have fried gills, so you need a lot of aeration in the pond and
dont feed them for a few days to help with water quality.
Ingrid

IceEros wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 18-07-2003, 09:22 AM
Raven

Default Help

Hi again to all (knew this was a friendly group)

Just dropping a line to let everyone know how it's going. Posted a
request for help exactly one week ago .. and thanks to you guys & gals -
the new pond is looking great! Can't remember who advised me to simply
"let it alone" that it is just cycling - but, thank you! Had a little
trouble believing that, but now.. I can see right down to the bottom
again

~Raven~

~"Normal" people scare me!~

I'm sick of.....peas! What are you sick of? rachael simpson Edible Gardening 28 14-08-2007 08:10 PM
need help with sick Goldfish or Koi? [email protected] Ponds 1 12-02-2005 10:02 PM
Please help my sick Koi Randy Ponds 4 19-06-2004 03:05 PM
**sick koi** #help# *muffin* Ponds 33 18-07-2003 01:50 AM