Old 12-06-2004, 10:06 PM
Randy

Default Please help my sick Koi

Hello all, I have a 15x18 pond and have had 8 very large goldfish(8-10") in
it for 2 years now. I just put in my first koi. It has been in the pond for
2 weeks and still is a very active swimmer and feeder. All of the golfish
are fine except for one silver, red, and black one that has a white fuzzy
spot on its side. The new koi has a red sore on its side and redness where
the tailfin meets the body. I really don't want to lose this one.
It is and white and black butterfly koi with and orange snout. It

Any sugestions on what is wrong and how to correct it would be sincerely
appreciated.

Randy

Old 13-06-2004, 01:06 AM
George

"Randy" wrote in message
Hello all, I have a 15x18 pond and have had 8 very large goldfish(8-10") in
it for 2 years now. I just put in my first koi. It has been in the pond for
2 weeks and still is a very active swimmer and feeder. All of the golfish
are fine except for one silver, red, and black one that has a white fuzzy
spot on its side.

This sounds like a fungus. I would isolate this fish immediately in a medical
tank and treat the tank with Maracyn (Erythromycn), according to instructions.
And just to be sure that it isn't a paracite like ick, I'd put some coppersafe
in the water, and in the pond as well (unless you have valuable invertebrates in
your pond).

The new koi has a red sore on its side and redness where
the tailfin meets the body. I really don't want to lose this one.
It is and white and black butterfly koi with and orange snout. It

Any sugestions on what is wrong and how to correct it would be sincerely
appreciated.

Randy

It sounds like the Koi has a bacterial infection. You should isolate this fish
immediately as well in an isolation tank and treat the tank with Maracyn II
(Minocycline) according to instructions. A rule of thumb when adding fish to an
extablished pond: Always quarantine them before putting them in ther pond to
see if they have any diseases. That way you won't be introducing infectious
diseases to the pond (which is usually hard and expensive to treat because of
the size). You do have an isolation tank, don't you? I have 1 fifty gallon
tuperware tub, and 1 twenty gallon tuperware tub that I use for treatment
purposes. It is important that the water is aerated during treatment, and I
always place them out of the weather, in a shaded area. If you can bring them
inside in a temperature controlled environment, it always helps. It also helps
to keep track of water conditions during treatment. Finally, when treating fin
and body sores, I always add some stress coat with aloe to the water, because it
helps soothe the sores, and helps the healing process.

Old 13-06-2004, 02:04 AM
RichToyBox

The red sores on the koi are bacterial infections that have gotten through
the slime coat by the fish scraping itself against something in the pond,
the net, or the previous pond. There is a product that I really like for
keeping the bacteria in check, called KoiZyme. Once the fish break, it is a
good idea to feed a medicated food, but the most important thing is to be
absolutely sure the water is pristine. Zero ammonia and nitrites are a
must. Nitrates should be below 25. If the sores become very bad, it is
sometimes necessary to inject the antibiotics, though there are some now
that you can dip the fish in.
--
RichToyBox

Old 13-06-2004, 03:06 AM
noahsnana

I agree with Rich. Do a water change, use KoiZyme, use medicated food for
atleast 10 days. This has always helped my wetones.

Old 19-06-2004, 03:05 PM

0.9lbs crystal solar salt like for water softeners per 100 gallons of water.
start feeding antibiotic food, like romet.

"Randy" wrote:

Hello all, I have a 15x18 pond and have had 8 very large goldfish(8-10") in
it for 2 years now. I just put in my first koi. It has been in the pond for
2 weeks and still is a very active swimmer and feeder. All of the golfish
are fine except for one silver, red, and black one that has a white fuzzy
spot on its side. The new koi has a red sore on its side and redness where
the tailfin meets the body. I really don't want to lose this one.
It is and white and black butterfly koi with and orange snout. It

Any sugestions on what is wrong and how to correct it would be sincerely
appreciated.

Randy

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

I'm sick of.....peas! What are you sick of? rachael simpson Edible Gardening 28 14-08-2007 08:10 PM
need help with sick Goldfish or Koi? [email protected] Ponds 1 12-02-2005 10:02 PM
Sick Koi, please help RichToyBox Ponds 2 18-07-2003 09:22 AM
**sick koi** #help# *muffin* Ponds 33 18-07-2003 01:50 AM