Old 13-07-2003, 11:14 PM
*muffin*

Default **sick koi** #help#

ok,, it finally hit. I have sick koi.

(seems to be about 5 koi,, goldfish don't seem to be affected)

there is no way I can catch them,,, & the pics I have on my site are the
best I can get(so far) .

looks like whitespot stuff on a few koi & one koi looks like an ulcer #3
pic (??). the whitespot stuff, is just kind of a dull patch on the koi,
like murkywhite( not sure if I am describing it right), doesn't look
'fuzzy'.

ok, pics are on http://community.webshots.com/album/74707665onrGAN

koi #1,2,3

what is BEST way to treat pond,, (3600 gal. have melafix & Potassium
permanganate)

& also, question about pond.. it has a *film* on the top of it , any ideas??
I do not have a skimmer ( don't want one, because of floating plants),, I do
have a water falls running though, & 'big' filter.

I am running a UV filter, & it finally has started to clear, but as you can
see, still murky.

Old 13-07-2003, 11:14 PM
*muffin*

in case you ask.
water test at 3:45 PM

PH : 8.3
ammonia : 0% ( but not perfectly 0, maybe a negligible amount,, I hate these
testers)
Nitrite : .5%

salt .11%
KH hardness 11

I went to koivet,, & am not doing injections (ok, that part won't bother
me,, & daughter works for a vet,, but catching the suckers???)
so I added salt & PP at a rate of 1t. per 600 gal. says to repeat in 4
days...

any other suggestions??

muffin dang.. just when my quarantine tank fish were about to enter the
pond .

Old 13-07-2003, 11:14 PM
Nedra

Muffin, Gosh I am sorry about your fish! All I ever do is
Panic - I haven't a clue as to what to do to fix your babies.
I don't see the 'milky' cast to the surface of your pond...
that is what I first thought I'd see. When you do see it...
the milky cast ... it means there is a bacterial infection
going on somewhere in your pond water.

Awfully sorry
Someone will come in and help you fix it.

Nedra

Old 13-07-2003, 11:33 PM
*muffin*

yea, thanks : (

at least they are still eating like little piranhas!

the 'film' on the water,, is just annoying, (I think , I hope).. don't think
its white,, but just *filmy* ( how else to describe it???)

Muffin major pout.........

nk.net...

Old 13-07-2003, 11:42 PM
*muffin*

I added 2 more pics.

the film reminds me of what looks around a dying lily flower,,, that kind of
film ( am I the only one to have seen that??)

but the whole pond is covered, & I don't think I have many old flowers ( I
just dead headed some last week)

arrghhhhhhh

nk.net...

Old 14-07-2003, 02:14 AM
RichToyBox

muffin,

The white spots look like scarred areas that are healing. A couple of my
fish skinned themselves pretty good during spawning and have a similar
appearance. If it is getting worse, then it could be columnaris, and the PP
is a good choice for treatment. The red area on koi #3 looks to be a bruise
or abrasion, not really an ulcer. It isn't nearly inflamed enough to worry
about yet. The PP and salt will minimize the chances of infection.

The film on the water is probably proteins. It is almost like an oil slick
and adds a strange shine to the surface, limiting the visibility into the
water. The PP will help to digest the proteins and you should see a lot of
brown foam at the waterfall if that is the case. It can be removed by
overflowing the pond, which makes one form of skimmer action, but spray the
water toward the overflow area to speed the skimming action.
--
RichToyBox

Old 14-07-2003, 02:22 AM
Nedra

I have never seen anything like that film... I wish someone
would come in here and have a look.

What percentage pond salt do you have in the pond?
I used to treat my
pond with salt to cure the bacterial film. I never had any
other meds in the pond - so I really hate to tell you what
to do for fear it would hurt more than help.

Nedra

"*muffin*" wrote in message

I added 2 more pics.

the film reminds me of what looks around a dying lily flower,,, that kind

of
film ( am I the only one to have seen that??)

but the whole pond is covered, & I don't think I have many old flowers ( I
just dead headed some last week)

arrghhhhhhh

nk.net...

Old 14-07-2003, 03:52 AM
*muffin*

ok,, I does no reall look like raw skin,, so i 'hope' ha is wha i is,, i
looks like someone

arrhhhhhhhhhh
m ke board is gone wack ....
some of m le ers are no working.......
major helppppppppp

Old 14-07-2003, 03:52 AM
*muffin*

..18 percen now
how high can i go before i hur s plan s

arrghhhhhhhhhhh ke board..............

nk.net...

"*muffin*" wrote in message

I added 2 more pics.

the film reminds me of what looks around a dying lily flower,,, that

kind
of
film ( am I the only one to have seen that??)

but the whole pond is covered, & I don't think I have many old flowers

( I
just dead headed some last week)

arrghhhhhhh

nk.net...

Old 14-07-2003, 04:12 AM
*muffin*

hope spellchecker fixes...

did you see his tail/ It also looks flamed in the picture of number 1

but heads do look like someone dotted their heads with white paint.

hmmm
.. had to cop and paste the letter 't'

Old 14-07-2003, 05:02 AM
Nedra

0.3 percent is the usual medicinal dosage for salt.

Nedra

"*muffin*" wrote in message
.18 percen now
how high can i go before i hur s plan s

arrghhhhhhhhhhh ke board..............

nk.net...

"*muffin*" wrote in message

I added 2 more pics.

the film reminds me of what looks around a dying lily flower,,, that

kind
of
film ( am I the only one to have seen that??)

but the whole pond is covered, & I don't think I have many old flowers

( I
just dead headed some last week)

arrghhhhhhh

nk.net...

Old 14-07-2003, 05:12 AM
bern

"*muffin*" wrote in message ...
I added 2 more pics.

It looks like something is rotting in the pond. Did perhaps an animal
fall in and drown? You might check the bottom to see if anything is
there. Is there an excess of vegetation? It doesn't look like motor
oil.

I would try to catch out the koi, perhaps by luring them with food to
a pre sunk net, then when they are eating you can quickly raise the
net and get them. Then treat them in a hospital tank. I don't like the
look of those lesions. I think concentrated antibiotic is called for.

good luck!
Old 14-07-2003, 05:52 AM
*muffin*

eeegads........
I cannot see the bottom,, would not be cool to walk in IT and 'step' on
something........... eek.

will try to catch,, but from what someone else wrote, when he did IT IT took
forever for fish to come back again.

,,,,,,,,,darn keyboard only some keys work,, have to cut an paste 't'

"bern" wrote in message
om...

Old 14-07-2003, 06:06 PM
joe

*muffin* wrote:

the 'film' on the water,, is just annoying, (I think , I hope).. don't think
its white,, but just *filmy* ( how else to describe it???)

I don't know what it is, but when I used to have a similar thing in an
aquarium I used to take a piece of paper and draw it across the water. The
film would cling to it. Not sure how to adapt that to a pond. Maybe
newspaper?

Joe

I'm sick of.....peas! What are you sick of? rachael simpson Edible Gardening 28 14-08-2007 08:10 PM
need help with sick Goldfish or Koi? [email protected] Ponds 1 12-02-2005 10:02 PM
Please help my sick Koi Randy Ponds 4 19-06-2004 03:05 PM
Sick Koi, please help RichToyBox Ponds 2 18-07-2003 09:22 AM