Old 15-07-2003, 05:33 AM
jammer

Default Alien pond plants

They have gone mad. I always noted that the celery just sat there with
it's few small branches, but 2 ft. away, it is coming out of the water
everywhere. Then it looks like i have taro coming out of the anacharis
far away from the taro plant. The primrose LOVES this climate and i
could probably sit and watch it grow. It's a monster. Several months
ago i was looking for more anacharis, it is so thick in there, i wish
i knew how thick.

My water is clear with no pump, etc, but is there really such thing as
too many plants? How do you tell?

I have been shading the pond and it has been much cooler, but i
witnessed my fav fish sucking oxygen last night and have run the air
16 out of the last 24 hrs. They hang out and dash through the bubbles.

Thanks, juls
Old 15-07-2003, 05:34 AM
jammer

One other thing.....

Somewhere between the frog spawning and now, my huge creeping jenny
that was underwater, is 100% GONE. I pulled out the empty pot today.

What happened to it? I have no koi.

Old 15-07-2003, 06:03 AM
Nedra

Good Heavens, jammer! Where are your pictures???

It sounds really wonderful... I'd like to see it.

Nedra

Old 15-07-2003, 06:12 AM
jammer

http://community.webshots.com/user/jammer1959

Well i dont have any pix from this month and the ones from last month
are a bit blurry. I will work on updating it soon.

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 04:59:44 GMT, "Nedra"
wrote:

Good Heavens, jammer! Where are your pictures???

It sounds really wonderful... I'd like to see it.

Nedra

.. .

Old 15-07-2003, 06:35 AM
K30a

Creeping jenny could have been chowed down by
goldfish, taddies or snails.

My crew will eat a large bunch of watercress overnight.

k30a

Old 15-07-2003, 07:54 AM
Dave Bell

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, jammer wrote:

My water is clear with no pump, etc, but is there really such thing as
too many plants? How do you tell?

I have been shading the pond and it has been much cooler, but i
witnessed my fav fish sucking oxygen last night and have run the air
16 out of the last 24 hrs. They hang out and dash through the bubbles.

Well, Juls, there is possibly the answer to your question above: At night,
green plants do not manufacture oxygen. Rather, they consume it, just like
most other creatures. Without a waterfall or other mechanical means of
getting oxygen dissolved into the water, they can actually starve the fish
for air! Short of that, I know of no limit. Your clear water shows that
your plants are greedily gobbling up all the nitrogen waste your fish
produce, leaving none for algae to eat. Keep that air running, especially
at night, or get a small fountain/waterfall to stir things up, and your
pond should be very happy...

Dave

Old 16-07-2003, 07:28 AM
jammer

Thanks, Nedra

I will leave the air on all night and tell the roommate that that is
how it has to be and beg for electricity for Christmas. In the fall
when i clean the pond for the first time, the weather cools
considerably, and i thin the plants out, it should be ok during those
rainy days when i have to bring the light/cords in.

The fish swim through the bubbles, they obviously enjoy the air. My
big boy let me pet him tonight. (Maybe going on 4 inches?) He is so
cool.

Thanks for all the replies regarding this matter!
(Ya'll are great)

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 23:38:15 GMT, "Nedra"
wrote:

Jammer, I just saw your pictures... cute pond you have
there!
You need to keep the Air going *All Night* long so your fish
wont die.

Your Plants use all the oxygen during the night.

Good job...

Nedra

"jammer" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 23:31:43 -0700, Dave Bell
wrote:

[...]

Ok , thanks! I have had the air on since 10am and will keep it on
until about midnight. As far as the fountain/waterfall, i don't have
any A/C out there except for my roommate's trouble light that i run
out there with two long orange cords. That's what i plug the air hose
into.

I appreciate the feedback.

Old 16-07-2003, 04:54 PM
BenignVanilla

"jammer" wrote in message
snip
I will leave the air on all night and tell the roommate that that is
how it has to be and beg for electricity for Christmas. In the fall
when i clean the pond for the first time, the weather cools
considerably, and i thin the plants out, it should be ok during those
rainy days when i have to bring the light/cords in.

snip

Jammer...what's the deal with your 'lectricity?

BV.

Old 17-07-2003, 12:30 AM
jammer

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 09:57:09 -0400, "BenignVanilla"
wrote:

"jammer" wrote in message
.. .
snip
I will leave the air on all night and tell the roommate that that is
how it has to be and beg for electricity for Christmas. In the fall
when i clean the pond for the first time, the weather cools
considerably, and i thin the plants out, it should be ok during those
rainy days when i have to bring the light/cords in.

snip

Jammer...what's the deal with your 'lectricity?

BV.

I dont have a lot of say in what happens around here. I dont really
know how to answer your question, except that i cant afford it,
therefore i dont have it.

Old 17-07-2003, 02:22 PM
BenignVanilla

"jammer" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 09:57:09 -0400, "BenignVanilla"
wrote:

"jammer" wrote in message
.. .
snip
I will leave the air on all night and tell the roommate that that is
how it has to be and beg for electricity for Christmas. In the fall
when i clean the pond for the first time, the weather cools
considerably, and i thin the plants out, it should be ok during those
rainy days when i have to bring the light/cords in.

snip

Jammer...what's the deal with your 'lectricity?

BV.

I dont have a lot of say in what happens around here. I dont really
know how to answer your question, except that i cant afford it,
therefore i dont have it.

Ah. Nothing implied by my post, BTW. I was just curious. I too have a great
big orange cord running out to my pond.

BV.