Old 15-07-2003, 10:22 AM
Gene

Default Possible hawk problem

My mom saw a hawk up in the tree at the edge of the yard today.
She said it gave her a real mean look. The question is should
I worry about it getting the fish in my pond. And if so, can
anybody think of a good solution to keep it away from my pond.
My daschunds keep the cats away from pond but I dont know if they
can handle a hawk. I thought about a scarecrow but I cant afford
one right now. Any other solutions would be appreciated.

Old 15-07-2003, 12:12 PM
Steve and Lisa

We have several nesting pairs of Red-tailed Hawks near our home, none of
which are interested in our pond, but they do go after the Chipmunks,
English Sparrows, Morning Doves & Shrews for food. I've not seen a Hawk go
near our pond even once in the past 3 months. (All the other area birds
drink from it.) Not sure if we are lucky, or if they just prefer other
foods.

Lisa
news

Old 15-07-2003, 02:33 PM
GACinMass

She said it gave her a real mean look.

I have yet to see a hawk give a friendly, happy look. Kidding aside, I have a
family of hawks that nest about 500' from my 2200 gal pond. They're constantly
soaring and screeching high above. They have never bothered my pond or koi. I
think they are more interested in rodents & such. A friend who is a birder,
thought the reason may be that hawks are very uncomfortable in confined areas.
They need a wide open space in which to spy their prey and swoop down. My pond
is about 12' from my house and somewhat surrounded by trees. That may be
discouraging the hawks. If your pond is in the wide open, you may want to
string some fishing line across the pond about 1' above the water. Please keep
the group posted.

~ Gary Campbell
Old 15-07-2003, 03:05 PM
K30a

Fish are way down on the list of many hawks' diets. Other that the scarecrow do
not do anything until you talk to your fish and game department.
All birds of prey are protected. If you set up something that causes the hawk
injury or death you could be held legally liable. Fines and jail time take up
pond dollars and pond time.

k30a

Old 15-07-2003, 05:02 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

GACinMass wrote:
She said it gave her a real mean look.

I have yet to see a hawk give a friendly, happy look. Kidding aside, I have a
family of hawks that nest about 500' from my 2200 gal pond. They're constantly
soaring and screeching high above. They have never bothered my pond or koi. I
think they are more interested in rodents & such. A friend who is a birder,
thought the reason may be that hawks are very uncomfortable in confined areas.
They need a wide open space in which to spy their prey and swoop down. My pond
is about 12' from my house and somewhat surrounded by trees. That may be
discouraging the hawks. If your pond is in the wide open, you may want to
string some fishing line across the pond about 1' above the water. Please keep
the group posted.

~ Gary Campbell

I have had hawk swoop down and pick birds off the feeder
and then crash into the house. I didn't stop them from
swooping, it simply taught them to rise quickly. I have
a feeling if a hawk wanted a fish, trees and a house wanted
stop them, but a net or fishing line would.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 16-07-2003, 06:21 AM
Doug

I have had a pair of hawks living in my yard for 2 years.I have only seen
them eating small birds and rodents.

Doug

news

Old 22-07-2003, 06:33 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 09:20:35 GMT, Gene wrote:

My mom saw a hawk up in the tree at the edge of the yard today.
She said it gave her a real mean look. The question is should
I worry about it getting the fish in my pond. And if so, can
anybody think of a good solution to keep it away from my pond.
My daschunds keep the cats away from pond but I dont know if they
can handle a hawk. I thought about a scarecrow but I cant afford
one right now. Any other solutions would be appreciated.

http://www.km01.com/index.html for the cheapest price I've seen on a
scarecrow w/shipping.

Mean looks? Maybe you need to be more worried about Mom, perhaps she was
looking particularly tasty that day? ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Lime tree or bush possible problem John Vanini United Kingdom 6 12-08-2007 12:04 PM
Hawk Moth - hawk moth.JPG (1/1) Amos Nomore Garden Photos 1 13-06-2007 02:00 PM
Hawk problem cyestyear Ponds 6 16-11-2003 07:02 PM
Hummingbird hawk moth brimon United Kingdom 9 17-06-2003 01:56 PM
starling/hawk/seagull/frog in the fir tree K30a Ponds 9 19-04-2003 10:20 PM