Old 15-07-2003, 02:52 PM
GACinMass

Default Koi Meds

I've read several books on koi diseases, parasites, etc. All of them emphasize
the importance of sending scrapings/samples to a lab or having a microscope in
order to properly identify the culprit and determine the appropriate course of
treatment.

OK, time for a reality check: First, the only way I have ever been able to net
a koi in my pond is to nearly drain it. This stresses the fish so much that I
will not do it again. In fact, the last time I did this, for a full year
afterward they would run & hide when they saw anyone at the pond's edge. So I
will not be able to get a scraping or sample of any kind.

Second, I do not have a microscope or a lab nearby so I'm forced to guess what
the affliction is and what treatment to start.

I tend to start with Potassium Permanganate, treating the entire 220 gal pond.
If I don't see improvement, I try Formalin. If that doesn't work I try
Limnozyme. I know this is a wasteful "shotgun" approach but it has worked
somewhat. Last year I lost 2 koi to some kind of ulcer/fungus thing before I
was able to get it under control.

Here's my question: If you can only guess at what the ailment is, how would you
treat it? What meds in what order? Is PP the best place to start? My fish
have just been through a spawning episode and several are now showing whitish
bumps on their fins. One has skinned his nose pretty seriously. I started the
PP yesterday and have my fingers crossed. Any advice would be much
appreciated.

~ Gary
Zone 6b

Old 15-07-2003, 06:52 PM

1. creating a pond for fish
2. water quality
3. watching behavior
4. signs of disease

1. a pond for fish is deep with no shelves so predators are discouraged. the pond
is netting to keep leaves, predators and birds out. there is excellent filtration
and aeration. and the design is simple so no dead spots where water doesnt move.
2. pristine water conditions are essential.
keep rotting plants out of the pond, the kind that sink to the bottom.
keep snails and other denizens out of the fish pond, they carry diseases.
keep birds and bird shit out of the pond. net the pond. dont let birds bath in
areas that drain into the pond. bird shit is loaded with disease. salt to 0.1%
stimulates the slime coat and prevents disease.
quarantine all new fish and plants for 1-2 months. in fact, dont add new fish at all
to existing ponds. a closed system is healthier.
change water routinely ... I think Steve (Jo Ann's husband) replaces 500 gallons out
of the 6000 gallon pond once a week. clean the filters once a week.
feed high quality foods. feed sparingly.
dont stir up much in the pond.
always check water parameters after rain storms. pH can drop in soft water ponds.
3. behavior. often fish show behavioral changes even before signs of disease. see
behavior http://users.megapathdsl.net/~solo/p...se/disease.htm if ANY of
the fish arent acting right start by checking water quality. all of them, ammonia,
nitrites, nitrates and pH and hardness. then do a water change and bring the salt up
to 0.1%. check for rotting organics in the pond.
4. disease starts with a poor slime coat either caused by stress, toxic water,
spawning or other mechanical damage, or parasites getting in and under.
strengthening the slime coat, getting it to turn over prevents most diseases.
however, if the slime coat is thick, AND there doesnt seem to be any water quality
problems, then using a STOCK solution of PP every other day for 3 treatments. change
some water every day. use a bit of peroxide to clear the pond after treatment. PP
should not be used at very high temps or in very high pH/alkaline water.
treat for parasites first, bacteria second. if there are definite problems like
ulcers, feed romet B for 10 days to prevent spread of the infection.
Use formalin/malachite green if there are symptoms of ich. dont use in cold water.
dont use in water over 75o if there is more than 0.1% salt either.

last summer I had 2 fish die. there wasnt a mark on them anywhere. slime coat was
great. on necropsy I found infected eggs with the kind of bacteria carried by birds.
that was when I netted my veggie filter in addition to the pond itself. It is very
important to do a necropsy on dead fish to try to determine what the problem was.
after this I fed romet B and didnt lose any more fish, not that I would have
necessarily anyway. Ingrid

ospam (GACinMass) wrote:
Here's my question: If you can only guess at what the ailment is, how would you
treat it? What meds in what order? Is PP the best place to start? My fish
have just been through a spawning episode and several are now showing whitish
bumps on their fins. One has skinned his nose pretty seriously. I started the
PP yesterday and have my fingers crossed. Any advice would be much
appreciated.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 16-07-2003, 06:20 AM
Hank Pagel

How many koi do you have in 220 gal.????????
I have a small pond also and reading your post IMO with the fish load
you have the changes in your water quality are so fast that any
treatment is too little too late. With that many fish even a short
power failure will kill all your fish. It happened to me with only 2
koi and some GF last year.(Of course the GF which started as feeders
lived) IMO and I hope for your sake I'm wrong, all your problems are
stress related and will continue until the load is reduced.

Think of the bright side ......... It's time for a bigger pond.
I wish I had the room.

Old 16-07-2003, 06:20 AM
RichToyBox

Two parts to your question, I think. First your fish have just spawned.
This will cause them to knock off scales, and get all kinds of nicks and
bruises. For this I would start with KoiZyme to prevent infection. Also,
spawning creates a lot of ammonia and nitrites. Run the tests to see if you
need to add AmQuel for the ammonia, or salt for the nitrites. The better
the water the healthier the fish.

Second, shotgun medicine. 1) unless you take the fish to the lab, the
scrapings are worthless, since the parasites will die fairly quickly, and
the easiest way to see them is if they are moving. 2) unless you can do
above or have a microscope, you are left with the shotgun. That is where I
was until this year. I use KoiZyme year round to try to prevent infection.
I have had to give injections to too many fish. If I suspect parasites, I
prefer to start treatments with salt, to 0.3%. It is effective against most
of the parasites, not dangerous to you or the fish. Second to salt, I like
PP, because it takes care of everything else. It is more dangerous, and
dosage sensitive than the salt. Personally, I don't like the formalin
treatments because like PP it is consumed by organic debris, and unlike PP,
you can't see the color change to know that it is spent, so you don't know
if you have used enough, and it doesn't take much too much to kill fish.
--
RichToyBox

Old 16-07-2003, 06:21 AM
Nedra

Good for You Hank! You are the only one so far who has caught
the fact that Gary's pond is only *220* gallons. I'm surprised
Ingrid and Rich missed this.
Way too small for Koi. Unless he typed it wrong?

Nedra

.. .

Old 16-07-2003, 07:36 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

But Nedra, he didn't ask if his pond was too small in his questions. ;o)

Gary, You've gotten some good advice, but I'll give my 2 cents.

Many Koi Clubs around the country now have trained KHAs (Koi Health
Advisors) they will come to your home, microscope in hand and help, free!
So you might want to check your area on the AKCA.org website and find your
closest club and if they have trained KHAs.

I don't follow the *I can't catch them* story. I get IN my 6'X13' pond full
of plants and herd my fish into a big black 24" diameter plastic planter
pot. Then I bag them from there. So get a big tub and herd them, don't try
to net them.

My drugs of choice for shot-gunning are those that won't destroy the
filter. Lymnozyme, or Koizyme (I guess they're calling it now). Romet B
feed or other medicated feeds. Salt. For flukes, malathion. Dimalin for
anchor worm or lice, neither it or malathion ruin the bio-filter.

I just went thru a malathion treatment in both ponds and sick tank, last
one today. Sick tank is salted over 0.3% and I'm treating the fish in there
with a product called Tricide-Neo. Fish was scraped before treatment and
only one fluke showed up. I don't think flukes though caused the initial
damage, I think it was injury and not getting my filter, salt & lymnozyme
either up to snuff or in the pond early enough because I was adjusting to
going back to work this spring when one should be keeping a close eye on
pond things. The jury is out on whether I'll save this fish or not. My main
goal is the experience of doing in (I took the KHA class), but there's no
experience like doing it! So I am. Would be nice if the fish survives me,
and my treatment, but I've seen better looking dead carp on the beach.s
~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

1st and foremost check your water quality. I've reposted the sick fish/sick
pond form, fill it out. ~ jan

Old 16-07-2003, 12:04 PM
Nedra

Since when do we ask if 220 gallons is too small for Koi?
That would appear to be a given. Any problems would stem
from that fact.

Nedra

Old 16-07-2003, 02:12 PM
BenignVanilla

"Nedra" wrote in message
link.net...
Since when do we ask if 220 gallons is too small for Koi?
That would appear to be a given. Any problems would stem
from that fact.

snip

Nedra...I agree that a small body of water is typically bad for an overstock
of fish, but in theory with proper filtration, 220 could support his fish,
right?

BV.

Old 16-07-2003, 06:11 PM
BenignVanilla

"Nedra" wrote in message
link.net...
LOL! Oh My my my .... okay I guess if his filtration is
top notch, etc etc ....

But, BV ... this just shoots in the bu**
our (rec.ponds) most recent theory that we need 1,000
gallons of water for the first Koi and 100 gallons for
every Koi after that. I don't remember seeing any conditions
tagged onto that theory ....

snip

True, true, an don't get me wrong. I am not about to toss 3 or 4 Koi in my
bathtub. I just wanted to make the point that the "rules" we all talk about
here, are based on laws of averages. Sorry, I am kind of anal about stuff
like this. I don't like rules that say, "Do this..." just because. Reminds
me of a story...

One Easter my Dad was cooking a ham and he cut it in half before placing it
in the oven. I inquired as to why he did this. He responded, "I dunno,
that's the way my mother did it." So I asked my grandmother about cutting
the ham in half, and she said, "That's how my mother taught me to do it.
I've always done it that way." I then asked my great-grandmother about the
recipe and she told me, "Cut it in half? Oh, that's because I don't have a
pan big enough for the whole ham."

So you see why I question salt too? *laugh*

BV.

Old 16-07-2003, 06:11 PM
GACinMass

Thanks to all of you for sharing your valuable insight. I feel more confident
than ever.

BTW, my pond is 2200 gallons, not 220 as I mistyped. In fact, it is 2200 gal
plus a 50' long stream which includes 5 smaller pools. When I build the system
I over designed the filtration in anticipation of my koi growing (I have 9 that
range from 4" to 12"). I also have UV, a skimmer, bottom drain, and lots of
plants. I test my water every other week and it is always near perfect except
for salt levels that change with my bi-weekly partial water changes. The water
is always crystal clear.

I'm on day 2 of my PP treatment. Fingers still crossed!

Thanks again, group,
Gary
Old 16-07-2003, 06:14 PM
GACinMass

How many koi do you have in 220 gal.????????

Sorry, I meant 2200 gallons. I've got to start proofreading my posts!

~ Gary