Old 16-07-2003, 06:20 AM
Judy

Default Help with biofilter system

It gets quite confusing when trying to figure out the best filter
system to buy.
My pond is 12'x10' and 3 and half feet deep. I would love to find a
bio system outside the pond but if a submersible filter system is
better I would accept that. Since my pond is not that big, I'm
wondering what is the best filter system I can buy for this size pond.
Thanks
Old 16-07-2003, 06:21 AM
John Rutz

--
out of the pond filters are much easyer to clean, without getting the
gunk back into the pond also you dont have to get in the pond to get to

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 16-07-2003, 06:36 PM
Judy

Hi John, thanks for replying, do you have any suggestions on brands
and types of biosystem for outside the pond? Some thing not too
complicated since I am a novice at plumbing. Thanks Judy

Old 17-07-2003, 12:29 AM
Mark T.

Hi Judy.
Along with all the other good advice you're receiving here,
please remember that your pump needs to cycle the
entire volume of water (in your case, about 3150 Gals.),
every hour. So you'd need a 3000 GPH pump, minimum.
If you're pumping up to your biofilter or up to a waterfall,
that needs to be considered as well. A filter outside of the
pond is indeed very much easier to maintain, while leaving
the pump itself in the pond is quieter. Once you decide
if you will have a waterfall, or how high you're going to pump
the water before returning it to the pond, lots of folks here
can help you figure out the "head loss".
I have a link to a site which provides several designs of biofilters
you can easily and inexpensively build yourself if you've a mind to.
Sometimes though, it's easier just to buy one and get it over with.

Hope this helps,
Mark

"Nedra" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
John is absolutely correct on this. For a bought filter -
Never take the manufacturers word for number of gallons
filtered. Especially so if you have or intend to get Koi.

I bought a Pond Filtration 3000 more than 6 years ago
for $325. My pond is about 3000... so I thought I was set.
I had 5 or 6 juvenile Koi and 5 juvenile Gold Fish. As the
fish grew so did my appetite for Butterfly Koi. I bought only
2 - an Orange one and an Orange and Black one. Everything
started going haywire three years ago. The Koi grew like
gangbusters.... I added a veggie filter - then I noticed Koi
babies in the pond. I now have 13 Koi and several Large
Gold Fish with quiet a few smaller goldfish. This is how your
filtration will grow - it has to keep up with the fish population.
;-)

Good Luck ..

Nedra

"John Rutz" wrote in message

Judy wrote:
Hi John, thanks for replying, do you have any suggestions on brands
and types of biosystem for outside the pond? Some thing not too
complicated since I am a novice at plumbing. Thanks Judy

not realy I havent used a comercial filter in years been building my

own
but can tell you this if your pond fer instance is 1200 galons look
for a filter that is advertised for 3000 gal in other words at least
twice the size of your pond if not 3x
manufacturers seem to over rate thier filters in my opinion by a factor
of 2 for goldfish and by 4 for Koi

Old 17-07-2003, 06:01 AM
Judy

You mentioned you build your own, could you explain what you use to
build your own biofilter system? It was also mentioned that the pump
would be placed in the pond, what is used to keep the pump from
clogging? Do you use a basket of some sort? I did put together a
veggie filter but I didn't put a drain in the bottom, wow was that
work to clean. My big mistake.

Old 17-07-2003, 06:17 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Hi Judy, I have attached some links below I highly recommend the Blondie
of Skippy Filter. They both work for me!

Skippy's Filter:
http://www.skippysstuff.com/biofiltr.htm

Blondie's Filter Design:
http://www.blondieswebdesigns.com/wa...biofilter.html

Various DIY Filter home pages:
http://mikebentley.com/ponds/homemadefilters.htm

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

om...

Old 17-07-2003, 04:57 PM
John Rutz

Judy wrote:
You mentioned you build your own, could you explain what you use to
build your own biofilter system? It was also mentioned that the pump
would be placed in the pond, what is used to keep the pump from
clogging? Do you use a basket of some sort? I did put together a
veggie filter but I didn't put a drain in the bottom, wow was that
work to clean. My big mistake.

look at Jan Jordans demon pond filter its a good well designed filter and a place to start

we can help you size it to your particular needs

Old 17-07-2003, 07:02 PM
bobkiely

Judy, check out this web site http://www.mvwgs.org/filter.htm .
I made this filter about a month ago and it took about 2 hours including
the trip to Loews and cost just less than $20.

I made sure all the filter pieces fit very snugly together to eliminate the
possibility of accidental bypass or channeling.

My water is sparkling clear. Never was that clean before
as I had to clean the filter (Pondmaster 1000) about every 5-7 days and
after 3 days the flow was considerably reduced.
If that doesn't suit your needs for some reason, check out this page - has
about 20 different designs.....
http://www.mikebentley.com/ponds/homemadefilters.htm

BK

om...