Old 17-07-2003, 01:03 AM
claude rogers

Default Using concrete blocks instead of milk crates

That poor fishy stuck in the milk crate has got me think'in. I am using
milk crates for plant stands, my fish are still fairly small, less than 10
inches, someone said they use concrete blocks treated or acid washed or
painted or something. Exactly what did you do to them to prevent leeching
lime "I think it's lime" I thought about painting them black but with what
kind of paint.....Thoughts...I don't want my fishies stuck in a milk crate
hole...or...is there an alternative to concrete....Thanks Claude

Old 17-07-2003, 01:07 AM
John Hines

"claude rogers" wrote:
lime "I think it's lime" I thought about painting them black but with what
kind of paint.....Thoughts...I don't want my fishies stuck in a milk crate
hole...or...is there an alternative to concrete....Thanks Claude

You can acid wash with Muriatic (hydrochloric) acid available at the
Hardware/pool store by the quart/gallon.

I'd say any of the paints used for sealing or waterproofing concrete
would work.

You can get clay tiles (clay pipes that go together), PVC pipe and
fittings, small pvc patio tables, etc, anything that has an opening big
enough satisfy yourself.
Old 17-07-2003, 01:08 AM
Nedra

I vote with John. My pond has four old
concrete blocks... never has been a problem.

Nedra

"John Rutz" wrote in message

claude rogers wrote:
That poor fishy stuck in the milk crate has got me think'in. I am using
milk crates for plant stands, my fish are still fairly small, less than

10
inches, someone said they use concrete blocks treated or acid washed or
painted or something. Exactly what did you do to them to prevent

leeching
lime "I think it's lime" I thought about painting them black but with

what
kind of paint.....Thoughts...I don't want my fishies stuck in a milk

crate
hole...or...is there an alternative to concrete....Thanks Claude

there are two easy ways for you if you can find some old weathered
blocks they will go in now with no treatment, check around contractors,
they usualyu have some old blocks laying around

also you can paint them with acrilic paints
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 17-07-2003, 01:09 AM
jammer

I am leaning towards the pvc with gravel in the ends. Since i have a
pondlet, i am afraid to A) cut down on the fish's space, and B) make
it easy for them to get hurt. My female gets chased half to death.

I SURRRRRE am thinking about my next pond....

Old 17-07-2003, 01:10 AM
Les

"claude rogers" wrote in message
That poor fishy stuck in the milk crate has got me think'in. I am using
milk crates for plant stands, my fish are still fairly small, less than 10
inches, someone said they use concrete blocks treated or acid washed or
painted or something. Exactly what did you do to them to prevent leeching
lime "I think it's lime" I thought about painting them black but with

what
kind of paint.....Thoughts...I don't want my fishies stuck in a milk crate
hole...or...is there an alternative to concrete....Thanks Claude

I have used hollow concrete blocks, without any treatment, for years. No
problem.
However, do not use 'besser' blocks or similar light weight concrete because
they have a high lime content and break down very easily.
Les

Old 17-07-2003, 01:11 AM
K30a

We sat our concrete blocks out in the
yard in full sun and daily sprinkler treatments
for a couple of weeks. Went in the pond with no
problem.

Remodeling bug hits later... now we have four
in there that are the base for the island.
Fish condos below.

k30a
Old 17-07-2003, 01:12 AM
claude rogers

Thanks for all the replies guys....Claude

Old 17-07-2003, 01:13 AM
Wendy Kelly Budd

I got rid of the milk crates when the koi got too large to fit through the
holes. I made stands out of pvc pipes and didn't even glue them. I like
this open design much better as the milk crates used to have so much 'stuff'
lurking inside them. Ugh!
--
Wendy* in N. California,

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in
school." - Albert Einstein

Old 17-07-2003, 01:27 AM
Sam Hopkins

No painting or acid wash is going to remove the calcium hydroxide - and
forget about soaking with vinegar it's a myth. How many gallons is your
pond?

Old 17-07-2003, 01:28 AM
Iain Miller

"claude rogers" wrote in message
That poor fishy stuck in the milk crate has got me think'in. I am using
milk crates for plant stands, my fish are still fairly small, less than 10
inches, someone said they use concrete blocks treated or acid washed or
painted or something. Exactly what did you do to them to prevent leeching
lime "I think it's lime" I thought about painting them black but with

what
kind of paint.....Thoughts...I don't want my fishies stuck in a milk crate
hole...or...is there an alternative to concrete....Thanks Claude

Best idea for plant stands I've seen recently was lengths of hollow pipe
(say 3 pieces of 6" dia pipe of appropraite length) bound together. Stand on
end and fill with gravel.

I.